Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #2041
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #83 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #2042
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

#64 - Always the Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D Bricker

They say you cant have your cake and eat it too.

But who would want a cake they couldnt eat?

Just ask Emma Rae Travis about that. A baker of confections who is diabetic and cant enjoy them. When Emma meets Jackson Drake, the escapee from Corporate America who is starting a wedding destination hotel to fulfill a dream that belonged to someone else, this twosome and their crazy family ties bring new meaning to the term "family circus." The Atlanta social scene will never be the same!

I downloaded this book last year, when it was a freebie. I see now that, on Amazon, the Kindle version of this book is £8.35 (approx. $13). Let me say here and now that I would never pay that for this book, it is absolutely not worth that. For a freebie, however, it was pretty good. Let's face it, with most books like these, you know how it is going to end so it is really a case of how good a job the author does with how he or she takes you there. In this case, that jo0urney was just OK. I read it pretty quickly but that was more because I was eager to finish it, rather than out of any real enjoyment for the book. A light-hearted, fru-fru beach read, slightly contrived in places but entertaining enough. Overall 2/5.

#65 - Please Don't Take My Baby by Cathy Glass

Im going to love my baby and give her lots of attention, Jade said. Ill show my mum shes wrong.

Jade, 17, is pregnant, homeless and alone when shes brought to live with Cathy. Jade is desperate to keep her baby, but little more than a child herself, she struggles with the responsibilities her daughter brings.

Cathy is worried as soon as Jade arrives: shes never looked after a pregnant teenager before, but none of the mother and baby carers is free, and  seventeen years old, seven months pregnant and homeless  Jade is in a desperate situation.

But Jade doesnt want to listen or advice and although her daughter is born safely it isnt long before Jades in trouble with the police.

Cathy knows that Jade loves her daughter with all her heart, but will she be able to get through to Jade in time to make her realise just how much she might lose?

This is another of those books in the 'true-life' genre. It is the story of a young, unmarried girl who is pregnant at 17 and has some issues, her Mum throws her out of the house and she ends up living with Cathy (the author), an experienced foster carer. While it touches on some sensitive issues, it is written in a way that is not too deep or heavy. I really got to care about Jade (and Cathy) throughout the book and was silently hoping for a good outcome. It is probably not surprising that I shed tears in a few places. If anybody has read any of Torey Haydn's books, this is of the same ilk. I have a few more books written by this author and suspect they will be quite 'samey' but it was a great read nonetheless. The fact that I finished this book in less than 24 hours is probably reflective of that. A pretty good 4/5.

Last edited by wilma-bride; 08-12-2013 at 07:05 AM.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #2043
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I fiinished City of Bones over the weekend. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me as the book went on. I think I'll finish the rest of the series. Not sure if I'll see the movie though!

Next up is Under the Dome. The size of that book is intimidating!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2044
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
I haven't but its on my list. I've found so many good books lately tgat I'm going to increase my goal to 50.
I've updated you! Happy reading!!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken

Currently reading: #23 You Don't Want to Know

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #2045
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Book #31 out of 50 (finally on track!)

Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand

A warm June evening, a local tradition: the students of Nantucket High have gathered for a bonfire on the beach. But what begins as a graduation night celebration ends in tragedy after a horrible car crash leaves the driver of the car, Penny Alistair, dead, and her twin brother in a coma. The other passengers, Penny's boyfriend Jake and her friend Demeter, are physically unhurt - but the emotional damage is overwhelming, and questions linger about what happened before Penny took the wheel. As summer unfolds, startling truths are revealed about the survivors and their parents - secrets kept, promises broken, hearts betrayed. Elin Hilderbrand explores the power of community, family, and honesty, and proves that even from the ashes of sorrow, new love can still take flight.

I chose this book simply because the setting was Nantucket so I figured it would be a perfect summer read. Even though there wasn't much of a "plot," I loved getting to know the characters and the close-knit community. There were no twists, no surprises, not much "action," but an endearing story nonetheless. This book reminded me of Jodi Picoult's writing. If you enjoy her books, you'd probably enjoy this one too.... especially during summer.

Next up: Five Days in May by Ninie Hammon (my mom couldn't put this one down while we were on a trip together so I'm giving it a try even though it wasn't originally on my list for this summer)

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken

Currently reading: #23 You Don't Want to Know

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #2046
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Vacation reading:

# 19 Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson
YA sequel to Hattie Big Sky,which I enjoyed more. 3/5

# 20 Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Wow - what an ending! 5/5

#21 Hostile Witness by Rebecca Forster
Kindle freebie with characters that I cared about and held my interest. 4/5

#22 Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
More like a series of short stories with a common thread. 5/5

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 17/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #2047
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book #31 A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

I enjoyed this book... it was typical Maeve Binchy storytelling. It's a great summer read. Here's what it's about...

Stoneybridge is a small town on the west coast of Ireland where all the families know one another. When Chicky Starr decides to take an old, decaying mansion set high on the cliffs overlooking the windswept Atlantic Ocean and turn it into a restful place for a holiday by the sea, everyone thinks she is crazy. Helped by Rigger (a bad boy turned good who is handy around the house) and Orla, her niece (a whiz at business), Chicky is finally ready to welcome the first guests to Stone House’s big warm kitchen, log fires, and understated elegant bedrooms. John, the American movie star, thinks he has arrived incognito; Winnie and Lillian are forced into taking a holiday together; Nicola and Henry, husband and wife, have been shaken by seeing too much death practicing medicine; Anders hates his father’s business, but has a real talent for music; Miss Nell Howe, a retired schoolteacher, criticizes everything and leaves a day early, much to everyone’s relief; the Walls are disappointed to have won this second-prize holiday in a contest where first prize was Paris; and Freda, the librarian, is afraid of her own psychic visions.

Sharing a week with this unlikely cast of characters is pure joy, full of Maeve’s trademark warmth and humor. Once again, she embraces us with her grand storytelling.
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #2048
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#53 The Tower by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Crime thriller about a psychotic killer who escapes from an 'unescapeable' prison & the ex FBI agent tracking him.
I did not like this book. The main character/hero was a real ----. No depth or redeeming qualities at all. A real 'man's man'. This is the first novel from this author and I feel it was very poorly written. I don't recommend it.

Book Challenge Goal 51/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #2049
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Just finished Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I actually really enjoyed this even though it was kind of "out there." Gaiman usually doesn't write adult fiction and that was somewhat noticeable (it seemed more YA to me), but I enjoyed the characters and definitely wanted to see how it played out.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #2050
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quick update: read Zoo - loved it except for the ending.

Also read Losing Hope - LOVED IT!!! It was great reading from Holders POV.

Now I'm reading Miss Petegrines home for peculiar children. I can't put it down.

Au revioir for now. Happy reading.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #2051
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #51- If You Were Here by Alafair Burke

This was a good mystery about a friend that went missing 10 yrs ago & one day McKenna thinks she sees her. A quick read - 4/5 stars

Manhattan journalist McKenna Jordan is chasing the story of an unidentified woman who heroically pulled a teenaged boy from the subway tracks. When she locates a video that captures part of the incident, she thinks she has an edge on the competition scrambling to identify the mystery heroine, but is shocked to discover that the woman in the video bears a strong resemblance to Susan Hauptmann, a close friend who disappeared without a trace a decade earlier.
What would have been a short-lived metro story sends McKenna on a dangerous search for the missing woman—a search that will force her to unearth long-buried truths much closer to home…

Next book: The Last Original Wife

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 45 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2052
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #16 - Old Man's War by John Scalzi - The author took half the book to set it up. Then, he proceeded into a few short stories of space warfare. All of this, I enjoyed just fine. It wasn't blowing my mind but it was good. It was asking some deep questions as only really good sci-fi can. But then, it got really good for about 40 pages near the end. So, the ending was good but I wanted more... another 100 pages at least! It's got characters that are endearing right off the bat because they are elderly. Who doesn't like old people? The lead character is a widower who seems genuinely in love with his deceased wife. But, life goes on an old people who enlist in the Colonial Defense Force get kick butt, genetically modified, new super bodies! Recommended!

Next up - Mystic River by Dennis Lehane - I don't know much about this one other than I get to watch a movie when I finish the book. I picked it up when the eBook was deeply discounted at B&N. At the time, I didn't have 100+ books on my "to read" list and if it was cheap, the title or author sounded familiar, and it was well-reviewed... I bought it! I'm a little more selective now because of the length of that previously mentioned "to read" list.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #2053
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Now I'm reading Miss Petegrines home for peculiar children. I can't put it down.
I've been hearing a lot about this book lately. I think I need to add it to my to-read list!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #2054
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I've been hearing a lot about this book lately. I think I need to add it to my to-read list!
I just did the same thing yesterday, and my library called today to say it's in!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #2055
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
I just did the same thing yesterday, and my library called today to say it's in!
Nice! I have so many things on hold at the library. They ended up calling me 3 times last week for 3 different books!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: