Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2011
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#52 Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay

Very good thriller about a small time reporter whose wife goes missing & of course the husband is the main suspect. Lots of twists & turns.
4 & 1/2 half stars. Would definetly recommend.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #2012
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

willowsnn3, I love Linwood Barclay's books, have read them all

I have just finished book number 63 - 314 by A R Wise

This was a Kindle freebie. They can be hit and miss, I find, but this one was one of the better ones.

Here is what the blurb says:

Alma Harper has been trying to forget what happened in Widowsfield 16 years ago. She has a good life as a music teacher now, and might rekindle her relationship with her one true love. However, the number 314 haunts her, and threatens to bring her back to the day that her brother disappeared. When a reporter shows up, just days before March 14th, Alma realizes that her past is coming back to haunt her. What happened on March 14th, at 3:14, 16 years ago? No one but The Skeleton Man can remember.

Whilst not stand out brilliant, for a freebie this was really pretty good. Within the first couple of pages, I was hooked (and scared witless). DO NOT READ THIS BOOK ON YOUR OWN There is a second one by the same author, a continuation of the story and I am definitely going to download it.

Last edited by wilma-bride; 08-12-2013 at 08:05 AM.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #2013
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#80 Shakespeare by Bill Bryson. Not a lot I didn't know about Shakespeare but still an interesting read.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #2014
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

#29 out of 50
A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett

Nothing to rave about - book should have ended 100 pages or so earlier in my opinion. Certain parts just seemed to drag on. But it was the perfect summer read... and gosh did it awaken my wanderlust!!! I am *this close* to just packing it up and running away to the Caribbean to see what life awaits me there!

#30 out of 50
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I admit it... I read this book a SECOND time, lol! Ever since I finished it last year, I've been wanting to do a reread knowing what I knew after finishing. It was just as good the 2nd time around... if not even darker and more twisted, lol. LOVE this book! I've read all 3 of Gillian's books now, and this one is by far my favorite!

Next up: Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand

Book is set in Nantucket. I'm really not sure at this point what it's even about, but the setting alone makes it a good summer beach read for me!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #2015
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

39/50 - The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian

Quote:
From the New York Times bestselling author of Midwives and The Sandcastle Girls comes a spellbinding novel of love, despair, and revenge—set in war-ravaged Tuscany.

1943: Tucked away in the idyllic hills south of Florence, the Rosatis, an Italian family of noble lineage, believe that the walls of their ancient villa will keep them safe from the war raging across Europe. Eighteen-year-old Cristina spends her days swimming in the pool, playing with her young niece and nephew, and wandering aimlessly amid the estate’s gardens and olive groves. But when two soldiers, a German and an Italian, arrive at the villa asking to see an ancient Etruscan burial site, the Rosatis’ bucolic tranquility is shattered. A young German lieutenant begins to court Cristina, the Nazis descend upon the estate demanding hospitality, and what was once their sanctuary becomes their prison.

1955: Serafina Bettini, an investigator with the Florence police department, has her own demons. A beautiful woman, Serafina carefully hides her scars along with her haunting memories of the war. But when she is assigned to a gruesome new case—a serial killer targeting the Rosatis, murdering the remnants of the family one-by-one in cold blood—Serafina finds herself digging into a past that involves both the victims and her own tragic history.

Set against an exquisitely rendered Italian countryside, The Light in the Ruins unveils a breathtaking story of moral paradox, human frailty, and the mysterious ways of the heart.
I wanted to like this, I really did, but it was a struggle for me to get through. In fact, I found myself making excuses not to read it and not to finish it, and that's never good.

IMHO, this book tried to be too many things, tried to tell too many stories. It was about war, love, loss, history, Italy, art, murder, family, rebellion. It bounced back and forth between years - one chapter was set in 1943/1944, the next in 1955, back and forth, back and forth ... so much so that it became confusing.

I got to where I no longer cared about the characters. The story was so drawn out, so long, and there were so many people I got confused about who was who (especially with the bouncing back and forth between time periods). When the murderer was finally revealed, I was relieved because I knew the end of the book was near.

The author uses a LOT of description - almost too much. It began to feel like filler after a while, like there was a minimum page requirement for publishing.

2/5 stars

Next Up: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #2016
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

#6 The Butler - A Witness to History by Wil Haygood

This book is about one of the white house butlers. The movie is coming out next month and Oprah is playing the butlers wife.

This was a quick book to read but really didnt cover that much of the butlers private or work life.

It was an ok read. I am sure the movie will be much different from the book.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #2017
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Finished book 27 as you wish

It was so exciting everything from is a couple divorcing because of a life style change to is the male lead going to finally ask the female lead to marry him.

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 07-31-2013 at 05:38 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #2018
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle

Not in my opinion. But if you would like the book, I will be happy to mail it too you media mail -- no charge. Just let me know. I have no interest in keeping it. (It's a hardback with the jacket cover)
Thank you so much for your kind offer. But as luck would have it, my neighbor lent it to me today.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #2019
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Just finished book #51, "Porch Lights" by Dorothea Benton Frank. One of my favorite books ever. Something about the loving family interaction among grandmother, mother, child, and spouse were so endearing to me. Up next, "The PMS Murders" by Laura Levine.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #2020
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #81 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K.Rowling

I am pretty sure everyone knows what it is about

This is a re read and I have now moved on to the second book.

2014 Top 3

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #2021
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#52 Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay

Very good thriller about a small time reporter whose wife goes missing & of course the husband is the main suspect. Lots of twists & turns.
4 & 1/2 half stars. Would definetly recommend.
Thank you for this recommendation! I went to the B&N site and checked out his books - they sound like they are right up my alley. Very similar to Harlan Coben, whom I love. That's about 10 more books I can add to my list.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #2022
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 27 of 30

Unseen by John Michael Hileman

A waste of time, only good thing about was that it was free.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 75 of 75:
1.A Shade of Blood, 2.A Castle of Sand, 3.Takedown Twenty, 4.Louisiana Longshot, 5.Dirty Little Secrets, 6.The One You Love, 7.The One You Fear, 8.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, 9.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 10.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 11.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 13.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 14.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 15.A Shadow of Light, 16.Hollow City, 17.Room, 18.The Barkeep, 19.A Blaze of Sun, 20.I Think I Love You, 21.Broken, 22.Body Movers, 23.A Gate of Night, 24.Trudge, 25.Soldier On, 26.In Harm’s Way, 27.A Pound of Flesh, 28.Taboo, 29.Hide and Seek, 30.Daddy’s Home, 31.Weddings Can Be Murder, 32.The Undead Heart, 33.Moving Day, 34.Monument 14, 35.Sky on Fire, 36.Savage Drift, 37.NOS4A2, 38.Her Last Breath, 39.One Lavender Ribbon, 40.Innocent in Las Vegas, 41.Saving Grace, 42.To Kill For, Awakening, 43.City of Bones, 44.City of Ashes, 45.City of Glass, 46.City of Fallen Angels, 47.City of Lost Souls, 48.City of Heavenly Fire, 49.A Break of Day, 50.The Gray and Guilty Sea, 51.Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 52.The Profiler, 53.Too Close To Home, 54.Hushabye, 55.The Girl Who Never Came Back, 56.Fatal Debt, 57.Deadly Bonds, 58.Kill The Competition, 59.Got Your Number, 60.In Deep Voodoo, 61.Crazy Little Things, 62.My Sister’s Grave, 63.Invisible, 64.Taken, 65.Love and Decay, 66.Episode 1, 67.Darkhouse, 68.Invisible(Ivy Malone #1), 69.Not What She Seems, 70.Tuesday’s Child, 71.The Best Medicine, 72.Castle Cay, 73.Hidden Secrets, 74.The Mind Readers, 75.Eleven
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #2023
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

40/50 - The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Quote:
A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food—and each other.
I powered through this book in a day and a half. Not because it was so good, mind you, because it was oh so bad.

Where to begin? There was very little punctuation used - no quotation marks, hardly any apostrophes, and no commas. "But, how can you tell what is dialogue and what is narrative without quotation marks", you might be asking. Simple answer - it's very difficult.

There were two main male characters, neither had names, simply referred to as "the boy" and "the man" (minus the quotation marks, of course). Sometimes I'd get confused about which "he" the story was referring to because it didn't explain.

Occasionally there would be two people talking in the same paragraph ... only there was no break, no "he said" or "she said" to make it easier to figure out who was talking.

I'll sum up the story for you. A boy and a man are together in a post-apocalyptic world. They walk. They build a fire. They eat. They sleep. They run out of food. It rains, they're cold and they shiver. They're hungry. Just in the nick of time, they find food, and they eat again. They run into cannibalistic rogues and somehow they survive.

Wash, rinse, and repeat ... until the end, which somehow is uplifting in a weird sort of way, but it's kind of what you were expecting and hoping for.

I kept asking myself, "Really? This is the story? THIS won a Pulitzer Prize?" 2,000+ reviews on Amazon, tons of them praising the book and how life-changing it was. They wept, etc.

Maybe I'm just too dumb to get all the symbolism.

1/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #2024
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #82 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2014 Top 3

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #2025
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portia9 View Post
Goal 100

#80 Shakespeare by Bill Bryson. Not a lot I didn't know about Shakespeare but still an interesting read.
I just picked up this book a couple of days ago. I like his writing style. While the information may not be anything new, his voice is unique, and I'll be able to use it with my students this fall.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: