Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #1951
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #49: Stardust by Neil Gaiman

This is my type of book; enchanted land & whimsical creatures. I liked the plot & how the different character plots ended up connected. A boy promises to catch find & bring back a falling star for the girl he loves. His adventures have him meeting all sorts of creatures who either are kind or evil. If you enjoy the movies The Princess Bride or The Neverending Story, you will like this book. I believe this is a movie too, so I will have to find it. This is my third Gaiman book (the 1st I read was The Graveyard Book) & he is a great storyteller.

Gaiman tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels.

Next Book: Another Gaiman book

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 78 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #1952
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

#50-"Vamanos!" It's hard to give an objective review because I live in one of the border towns near where they crossed, and I could identify so much with so much of the words, places, experiences throughout the book. I'm not sure anyone else would find it as funny, but I sure did. However, after about 3/4 of the book, even I was kind of ready for it to end. A funny book, but too long.
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #1953
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#49 Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

Reporter Ellen Gleeson legally adopts a year old boy whose mother left him at a hospital & later gave him up for adoption. Two years later she sees a 'have you seen this child' flyer in her mail. The child looks exactly like her son. Being the investigative reporter that she is, she cannot find peace until she discovers the truth.
I really liked this book. 5 stars.

Book Challenge Goal 72/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #1954
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Just got back from vacation...

# 27 - Zero Day by David Baldacci

# 28 - Bombshell by Catherine Coulter

# 29 - The English Girl by Daniel Silva

# 30 And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hasseini
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #1955
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

# 15: John Saturnall's Feast by Lawrence Norfolk

Book description from Amazon:

Quote:
A beautiful, rich and sensuous historical novel, John Saturnall’s Feast tells the story of a young orphan who becomes a kitchen boy at a manor house, and rises through the ranks to become the greatest Cook of his generation. It is a story of food, star-crossed lovers, ancient myths and one boy’s rise from outcast to hero.

Orphaned when his mother dies of starvation, having been cast out of her village as a witch, John is taken in at the kitchens at Buckland Manor, where he quickly rises from kitchen-boy to Cook, and is known for his uniquely keen palate and natural cooking ability. However, he quickly gets on the wrong side of Lady Lucretia, the aristocratic daughter of the Lord of the Manor. In order to inherit the estate, Lucretia must wed, but her fiancé is an arrogant buffoon. When Lucretia takes on a vow of hunger until her father calls off her engagement to her insipid husband-to-be, it falls to John to try to cook her delicious foods that might tempt her to break her fast.
I give it 2 stars, I guess. The characters are really under-developed and it just wasn't for me.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #1956
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I LOVE Sophie Kinsella books. Think "I Love Lucy-The Book". Another good one, cheaper on Kindle is "My Big Fake Irish Life" by Caitlin McKenna. I thought that was similar in style. I just got another of McKenna's books, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't recommend it. But I really hope it's another in the Sophie Kinsella style.
Exactly! I like her style of romance. More silly fluff than getting really mushy. I love the humor & situations she thinks up! I am checking out the McKenna books, they look cute too. I got samples of two of them from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
Goal:25 Completed:16

Sharp Objects
Gillian Flynn

"WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, ***** on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming."

I really enjoyed this book,even if there were some boring places. I liked the underlying darkness and creepy factor that wasn't right out in your face. I do wish that Amma's character were just a little more developed...Maybe I just didn't quite get the extreme opposites of her personality.

I was surprised to like it as much as I did because I couldn't get into Gone Girl.

Up next... Dark Places, also by Gillian Flynn.
I am still on hold for that one. I loved!!! Gone Girl , even the ending, and did not enjoy Dark Places so I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

Reporter Ellen Gleeson legally adopts a year old boy whose mother left him at a hospital & later gave him up for adoption. Two years later she sees a 'have you seen this child' flyer in her mail. The child looks exactly like her son. Being the investigative reporter that she is, she cannot find peace until she discovers the truth.
That sounds really good! I can't find it at my library so I got a sample to try. Have you tried any of her other books? There were several ebooks in my library list but this one sounded particularly interesting.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #1957
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
#50-"Vamanos!" It's hard to give an objective review because I live in one of the border towns near where they crossed, and I could identify so much with so much of the words, places, experiences throughout the book. I'm not sure anyone else would find it as funny, but I sure did. However, after about 3/4 of the book, even I was kind of ready for it to end. A funny book, but too long.
This sounds interesting. It's only 2.99 for Kindle, but I downloaded the free sample first just to make sure.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #1958
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post

# 30 And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hasseini
What did you think of this one?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #1959
nemofans
DIS Veteran

And the Mountains Echoed is on my book club list. I would like to hear what you thought of it too.

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 78 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #1960
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books
I finished 14 books before the end of July so I'm back on track to hit my goal.

Book #14 - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - This ended with more questions left open than answered. It feels more like an intermission than an ending but I don't really mind because I liked the closing scenes. I guess I'll be picking up "Hollow City" when it is released in January.

Next up - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I've been reading a lot of supernatural/fantasy stuff lately and I'm looking forward to a straight up mystery.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #1961
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

That sounds really good! I can't find it at my library so I got a sample to try. Have you tried any of her other books? There were several ebooks in my library list but this one sounded particularly interesting.[/QUOTE]

Re: Look Again by Lisa Scottoline. I haven't read any of her other books altho her name sounds familiar. I had actually gone to the library to check out another of her books titled "Save Me" & saw this on on the shelf. So I will be checking out some of her other books.

Book Challenge Goal 72/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1962
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book 46 - "Sassy Belles" by Beth Albright

This book deals with the friendship of 2 sassy Southern belles, Vivi McFadden and Blake Heart. When Vivi is suspected of killing her lover, it is up to Blake to clear her name.

I was really hoping that this would be a fun, summer read. Instead, I feel almost insulted after reading it. The writing style was so juvenile, but the situations were extremely adult. I would not recommend this book, at all.

Next up: Beautiful Creatures

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #1963
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

89/150 - Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich. This was good. Characters were interesting and the story was sweet.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #1964
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

#16: Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martell

So earlier this year, in the midst of moving and getting married, I had to return Life of Pi to the library unfinished. I know how it works out because I saw the movie, but I sort of want to finish it. I may have waited too long though. Yet every so often I go by the Fic Man section in the library and it is never there, but last trip this book was. Description from amazon:

Quote:
When Henry receives a letter from an elderly taxidermist, it poses a puzzle that he cannot resist. As he is pulled further into the world of this strange and calculating man, Henry becomes increasingly involved with the lives of a donkey and a howler monkey—named Beatrice and Virgil—and the epic journey they undertake together.
This is without a doubt, the weirdest book I have ever read. It's an allegory and quite clever. I was not expecting it to turn out as it did. I liked it except for the end, which made me say outloud, "Why is Yann Martel ruining his book?" 3 stars
Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #1965
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Finished books #61 and #62

#61 Belle by Lesley Pearse

She witnessed a murder - and now her life is in danger . . .

Fifteen year-old Belle, though raised in a London brothel, is an innocent. But when she witnesses one of the girls brutally strangled by a client, she is cast into a cruel, heartless world. Snatched from the streets and sold into prostitution, she is made a courtesan in New Orleans. At the mercy of desperate men who crave her beauty and will do anything to keep her, Belle's dreams of home, family and freedom appear futile.

Are Belle's courage and spirit strong enough to help her escape? And what will await her at the end of the long, dangerous journey home?

#62 The Promise by Lesley Pearse

War threatens to take all she has loved and lived for.....

On the outbreak of war, Belle Reilly's husband Jimmy enlists and heads for the deadly trenches of northern France. But Belle knows she cannot stand idly by when so many are sacrificing their lives.

Volunteering to help battlefield wounded, Belle is posted to France as a Red Cross ambulance driver. There, a tragic accident brings her face to face with Etienne - a man from her past she's never quite forgotten.

Torn between forbidden passion, loyalty and love, Belle is caught in an impossible situation. Will she succumb to the dark forces of this most brutal of wars? Or will fate intervene and finally lead her to lasting happiness?

I will admit that I do love Lesley Pearse's books. They are easy to read, descriptive, factual and tug at the heart strings. In all honesty, I cried at least twice during the second book. I slightly preferred the first book to the second, only because the second was slightly more predictable and I felt she dragged it out a little more than necessary. Having said that, I still really enjoyed, and would recommend, both.

I have already started my next book, an Amazon UK freebie for Kindle, 314 by A. R. Wise.

Last edited by wilma-bride; 08-12-2013 at 07:03 AM.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: