Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #1921
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I just finished the Scorch Trials (part of the Maze Runner series). My goal is 25 and that was book 15. I'll finish that series eventually. Next up is City of Bones.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #1922
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #13 - White by Ted Dekker - It was pre-apocalypse and post-apocalypse, international intrigue and fantasy all wrapped up in one story. The other books in the series were frustrating cliff-hangers so I was glad that this one had a satisfactory conclusion. Maybe that's why I feel like this was the best one of the group so far. Or, maybe it's just that it's been so long since I read the other books that all remember is how aggravated I was when they didn't end. The epilogue teased the plot lines left to explore in the fourth and final book of the series.

Next up - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - It's YA but it seems to be well reviewed by old adults so I'll give it a shot. Even if it does turn out to be simplistic at least it will be a quick read allowing me to finish my 14th book and stay on track for my reading goal.

Last edited by KrazyPete; 07-19-2013 at 10:40 AM.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #1923
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book #43 - The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.

This book is a collection of essays/short stories revolving around the author's time as a soldier in Viet Nam. It was beautifully written... seriously, some of the most incredible writing I've read since "Unbroken." The subject matter was serious, and at times, disturbing. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Book #44 - Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I don't know why I didn't read this book when it first came out. I wish I had! It was a very well-written book! I've held off watching the movie until I read it, so now I'm interested in seeing it. Sayuri is a former geisha who tells her story. Life is not always glamorous, as a geisha, and she gives us a glimpse into the everyday nitty gritty details. I loved it!

Next up: Dark Passage by Ridley Pearson

I've really got to kick it into high gear if I want to make my goal! Life has gotten in the way of my reading!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #1924
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
Goal - 24 books

Next up - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - It's YA but it seems to be well reviewed by old adults so I'll give it a shot. Even if it does turn out to be a simplistic at least it will be a quick read allowing me to finish my 14th book and stay on track for my reading goal.
HEY!!! Who the heck are you calling OLD???
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #1925
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#47 The Ask & The Answer by Patrick Ness
#48 Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

The final two of the Chaos Walking trilogy.
Loved the first 2 books. Even tho these are long books they easily kept my interest. But the third & last book just kinda drug on & on, lol.
I would recommend the series tho maybe not read them back to back.

Book Challenge Goal 73/72

willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #1926
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Finished till tomorrow it was good it was about a women traveling and then having to make a life choice
Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1927
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I'm stumped on what to read. Started The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (there's some light-hearted reading), decided I couldn't just yet coming off of Unbroken. Then I started reading a fluff book about wacky American history. Got about 1/2 way through and decided I wanted to read a story. Then started a book about Victorian Life but it's not a story but papers and newsprint and such.

I don't know where to go from here. Help!! Not really feeling in a mystery or thriller mood. Maybe a period piece that has a bit of a scandal to it.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1928
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I'm stumped on what to read. Started The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (there's some light-hearted reading), decided I couldn't just yet coming off of Unbroken. Then I started reading a fluff book about wacky American history. Got about 1/2 way through and decided I wanted to read a story. Then started a book about Victorian Life but it's not a story but papers and newsprint and such.

I don't know where to go from here. Help!! Not really feeling in a mystery or thriller mood. Maybe a period piece that has a bit of a scandal to it.
I wish I could help but I doubt you want to read about young Christian women, I mean we are talking 15, she gets to be 20 and married but still thinking you would not like it. But best of luck.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #1929
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I wish I could help but I doubt you want to read about young Christian women, I mean we are talking 15, she gets to be 20 and married but still thinking you would not like it. But best of luck.
Is that a part of the Christy Miller series?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #1930
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post

Is that a part of the Christy Miller series?
Yes, I love it not sure you will and I found there are different spin offs, the same wrote sister chicks not sure if I am ready for that or not you might be though.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #1931
KrazyPete
skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
HEY!!! Who the heck are you calling OLD???
You know what I mean, the "not young" adults. I don't really care if a bunch of teenagers like a book or not.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1932
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#64 down and done.

As They Slept by Andy Leeks. The inspiration for this book was a Facebook argument Leeks had with a friend when Leeks suggested that people who slept on commuter trains were wasting their lives. To prove his point that much could be accomplished during this time, Leeks decided that he would do some creative writing every commute for a year. This book covers the period from mid-September to mid-December 2012, with the promise (threat?) of a second installment in mid-March 2013 (I haven't seen it yet).

These entries are a series of short essays covering everything from losing weight, returning unwanted gifts, moving Halloween to June, why Leeks hates small talk. He says goodbye to his grandfather, reflects on the need to put other people first, is humbled by the beauty and elegance of the world outside his commuter train window.

It's not a profound book by any stretch of the imagination, but it was entertaining and I'll look for the follow-up.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #1933
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf

You can read something by Phillippa Gregory. Historical fiction, yet light. Very scandalous!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #1934
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
You can read something by Phillippa Gregory. Historical fiction, yet light. Very scandalous!
What would you recommend?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #1935
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

88/150 - You Don't Want to Know by Lisa Jackson. This was a very good suspense book, a real page-turner. I'd recommend it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: