Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #1861
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

36/50 - The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank

Quote:
Experience the sultry Southern atmosphere of Atlanta and the magic of the Carolina Lowcountry in this funny and poignant tale of one audacious woman’s quest to find the love she deserves, from New York Times bestselling author Dorothea Benton Frank.

Leslie Anne Greene Carter is The Last Original Wife among her husband Wesley’s wildly successful Atlanta social set. His cronies have all traded in the mothers of their children they promised to love and cherish—’til death did them part—for tanned and toned young Barbie brides.

If losing the social life and close friends she adored wasn’t painful enough, a series of setbacks shake Les’s world and push her to the edge. She’s had enough of playing the good wife to a husband who thinks he’s doing her a favor by keeping her around. She’s not going to waste another minute on people she doesn’t care to know. Now, she’s going to take some time for herself—in the familiar comforts and stunning beauty of Charleston, her beloved hometown. In her brother’s stately historic home, she’s going to reclaim the carefree girl who spent lazy summers sharing steamy kisses with her first love on Sullivans Island. Along Charleston’s live oak- and palmetto-lined cobblestone streets, under the Lowcountry’s dazzling blue sky, Les will indulge herself with icy cocktails, warm laughter, divine temptation and bittersweet memories. Daring to listen to her inner voice, she will realize what she wants . . . and find the life of which she’s always dreamed.

Told in the alternating voices of Les and Wes, The Last Original Wife is classic Dorothea Benton Frank: an intoxicating tale of family, friendship, self-discovery, and love, that is as salty as a Lowcountry breeze and as invigorating as a dip in Carolina waters on a sizzling summer day.
I *loved* this book! It has been a very long time since I've laughed so much out loud while reading. I got this from the library, but I'm considering purchasing it so I can read it again and again - it was that good.

If you're looking for something light and fun to read this Summer, I would definitely recommend it!

5/5 stars

Next Up: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (library waitlist finally came through )

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #1862
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I feel like the freak of the thread.

I could NOT get into Gone Girl.

I read about 20% and gave up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
Don't. While it was a good book, I threw it down when I finished reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
I finished it, but I did not like that book either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. I did not like the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Don't feel bad. I read all of it but hated the ending. Are you going to try either of her other books? They're a lot darker than Gone Girl, so if you didn't like it, you may want to steer clear of those.
I did not like it either!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 20/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #1863
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #43- The Prison Angel by Mary Jordan

This book was for my book club. It's a story of a real life, twice divorced woman who decides to devote her life as a nun to help the poor & prisoners in Tijuana. She did so much to help so many without fear for her own life. It is very inspiring. The trouble I had was the compassion & respect she had for rapists, murderers, & drug lords. I just can't get past what they did.

The winners of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for international reporting tell the astonishing story of Mary Clarke. At the age of fifty, Clarke left her comfortable life in suburban Los Angeles to follow a spiritual calling to care for the prisoners in one of Mexico's most notorious jails. She actually moved into a cell to live among drug king pins and petty thieves. She has led many of them through profound spiritual transformations in which they turned away from their lives of crime, and has deeply touched the lives of all who have witnessed the depth of her compassion. Donning a nun's habit, she became Mother Antonia, renowned as "the prison angel," and has now organized a new community of sisters-the Servants of the Eleventh Hour—widows and divorced women seeking new meaning in their lives. "We had never heard a story like hers," Jordan and Sullivan write, "a story of such powerful goodness."
Our book club read this several years ago. It was an amazing story! At the time she was still living in Tijuana.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #1864
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 22 of 30

Zoo by James Patterson

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 40 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #1865
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
36/50 - The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank

I *loved* this book! It has been a very long time since I've laughed so much out loud while reading. I got this from the library, but I'm considering purchasing it so I can read it again and again - it was that good.

If you're looking for something light and fun to read this Summer, I would definitely recommend it!

5/5 stars
Sounds like I book I'd really enjoy. Going to Goodreads to add it to "want to read". Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #1866
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I feel like the freak of the thread.

I could NOT get into Gone Girl.

I read about 20% and gave up.
NOooooooo! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
Don't. While it was a good book, I threw it down when I finished reading it.
That was about my reaction too, lol. BUT I do have to say, even though the ending wasn't a typical "happily ever after," I thought it fit the storyline perfectly so chalk me up as the freak that actually LIKED the ending! One of the reasons why I liked the ending so much is because it totally took me by surprise! Never in a million years would I have thought of that.... my head still reels at times when I think of it. I thought it was brilliant, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker

Currently reading: #26 Rainshadow Road

Last edited by threeboysmom; 07-08-2013 at 09:33 AM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #1867
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

I just finished Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin. If you've ever struggled to read the Old Testament, this is the easy route--historical fiction.

Quote:
"Gods and Kings" is the story of King Hezekiah, heir to the throne of King David. When his evil father plots to sacrifice him, Hezekiah's mother, Abijah, searches frantically for a way to save him. But only two men can help her, and neither of them seems trustworthy. In a time and place engulfed by violence, treachery, and infidelity to Yahweh, Abijah and her son must discover the one true Source of strength if they are to save themselves and their country. Book 1 of Chronicles of the Kings.
I liked it enough that I started book 2.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #1868
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#45 Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Last of the Hunger Games Trilogy. Was good but has been reviewed to death so I won't, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 55/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #1869
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #44- On Folly Beach by Karen White

I really liked this book! It is a great summer read. I had read another book of hers which was okay, but I'm glad I read this one. I picked it b/c she uses real history as well as real facts about the location the book is set in. We are visiting Charleston soon for the 1st time, so I thought it would be fun to read this for info on the area. It's a great story that is written with 2 stories intertwined, one in the past (1940s) & one current (2009) that lead you through an intriguing mystery that you get bits of info about as you read. I enjoyed trying to figure it out.

To most people, Folly Beach is simply the last barrier island before reaching the great Atlantic. To some, it's a sanctuary for lost souls, which is why Emmy Hamilton's mother encourages her to buy the local book store, Folly's Finds, hoping it will distract Emmy from the loss of her husband.
Emmy is at first resistant. So much has already changed. But after finding love letters and an image of a beautiful bottle tree in a box of used books from Folly's Finds, she decides to take the plunge. But the seller insists on one condition: Emmy must allow Lulu, the late owner's difficult sister, to continue selling her bottle trees from its back yard.
For the most part Emmy ignores Lulu as she sifts through the love letters, wanting to learn more. But the more she discovers about the letters, the more she understands Lulu. As details of a possible murder and a mysterious disappearance during WWII are revealed, the two women discover that circumstances beyond their control, sixty years apart, have brought them together, here on Folly Beach. And it is here that their war-ravaged hearts can find hope for a second chance...

Don't have a next book yet...

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1870
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal 25- Completed 15

Spring Fever
Mary Kay Andrews

"First husbands, second chances…

When you think the past is over and done and when you believe you’ve moved on in life, there’s no harm in catching a little spring fever. . . is there?

In bestselling author Mary Kay Andrews's Spring Fever, Annajane Hudgens truly believes she is over her ex-husband, Mason Bayless. They’ve been divorced for four years, she’s engaged to a new, terrific guy, and she’s ready to leave the small town where she and Mason had so much history. She is so over Mason that she has absolutely no problem attending his wedding to the beautiful, intelligent, delightful Celia. Celia: the woman everyone in town adores. Everyone, that is, except for Annajane and her lifelong best friend, Pauline “Pokey” Bayless.

But when fate intervenes and the wedding is called to a halt as the bride is literally walking down the aisle, Annajane begins to realize that maybe she’s been given a second chance. Maybe everything happens for a reason. And maybe, just maybe, she wants Mason back.

But there are secrets afoot in this small Southern town. Passcoe, North Carolina, is the home of Quixie cherry soda, and the company has been in the Bayless family for generations. Change is on the horizon, however, and even though anyone born in Passcoe is raised on cherry soda and its mascot, Dixie the Quixie Pixie, things are most definitely not going to be the same for long. In the peaceful and shady lanes of Passcoe, Annajane discovers that change can bring out the worst in people and uncover family scandals. And even though there are people determined to keep Annajane from getting what she wants, happiness could be hers for the taking, and the life she once had with Mason in this sleepy little lake town could be in her future. That is, if she can find out what she’s really made of and what really matters most to her. "

I am a pretty big fan of Mary Kay Andrews.

This book was good...It was entertaining but not as great as her others. It definitely had a more serious tone than I am used to with her work.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #1871
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Sounds like I book I'd really enjoy. Going to Goodreads to add it to "want to read". Thanks!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #1872
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

37/50 - Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

I've been waiting a long time to read this, and unfortunately I ended up a little disappointed. Initially, I loved the storyline. The writing was good, I was there in my mind, etc. But at some point after the two main characters went on the run, I didn't like the turn the story took and just wanted it to be over already. I also hate reading about when animals are injured/killed. So in the end, this was just okay for me - not awful, but not "sing-its-praises" great, either.

3/5 stars

Next Up: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #1873
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Well, I've finished my first book since I joined the challenge at the beginning of this month.

59/116 - Do Me No Harm by Julie Corbin

This is what the blurb says....When her son's drink is spiked, Dr Olivia Somers is sure it's more than a random attack. And when an intruder paints the word 'murderer' across her living room wall one night, her worst nightmares are confirmed. But why is her family being targeted? With her ex-husband threatening to fight for custody of their two children, Olivia must delve into her past to find the answer, before her family come to any more harm.

I really liked this book. It is a psychological thriller, well written and really kept me on the edge of my seat. Can't say I was too fond of the ending but it was a good read and I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited by wilma-bride; 08-12-2013 at 07:00 AM.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #1874
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#46 The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

This is another YA book. First in the Chaos Walking series. Loved it. Would recommend it & give it 5 stars.

Book Challenge Goal 55/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #1875
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Books 42 & 43 of 100

Book 42: The Gift (Witch & Wizard Series #2) by James Patterson

Summary from Goodreads:
When Whit & Wisty were imprisoned by the wicked forces of the totalitarian regime known as the New Order, they were barely able to escape with their lives. Now part of a hidden community of teens like themselves, Whit and Wisty have established themselves as leaders of the Resistance, willing to sacrifice anything to save kids kidnapped and brutally imprisoned by the New Order. But the One has other plans in store for them: He needs Wisty, for she is "The One Who Has the Gift." While trying to figure out what that means, Whit and Wisty's suspenseful adventures through Overworld and Shadowland lead to a jaw-dropping climax and conclusion: the highly-anticipated fulfillment of the heart-pounding opening prologue of book one...The Execution of the Allgoods

I liked the first book better, but am still willing to continue the series. It is an easy read, and interesting to see what happens.

Book 43: Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs #1) by Jean Webster

I didn't like the summary on Goodreads, so I will try one of my own! Jerusha Abbott was raised in an orphanage. She was allowed to stay past the age 17 as she was an excellent student and helpful in the home. After 18 years in an orphanage, she is sent to college to train to be a writer by one of the Trustees who makes the conditions 1) he remain anonymous and 2) she write him monthly letters and never expect a response. After the beginning set up, the rest of the book is filled with her regular correspondence with the man she has dubbed "Daddy-Long-Legs".

As Jerusha, or Judy as she decided to nick-name herself, works her way through 4 years of college (set in the early 1900's) she finds the wonder and joy in everyday experiences while still feeling the disadvantages she had growing up in an orphanage. She pretends that "Daddy" (for short) is her family and it helps her feel less lonely, at the same time frustrates her as she doesn't even know if he is reading her letters. The letters take you through to after graduation where Judy has a big, life changing decision to make and askes for "Daddy's" help. Will she finally get to meet her Daddy-Long-Legs?

I read this book for book-club, and found it entirely charming. It is a quick, easy read. I did find the ending predictable, in fact I predicted it in the first 3rd of the book. But that didn't stop me from enjoying the trip there. I would recommend this book.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: