Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1846
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Good to see all the positive comments on The Book Thief. My MIL just gave it to me so I'm bringing it on vacation with me this week.

#32 - Working It Out - this was a Kindle freebie from some time ago - British Chick Lit - a girl gets laid off and decides to work 12 different jobs over a year to figure out what she wants to do and also dating along the way. The romance is a little choppy but the book was cute & funny in parts. Nice, easy summer read and I may try another by this author.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #1847
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I feel like the freak of the thread.

I could NOT get into Gone Girl.

I read about 20% and gave up.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #1848
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties

Don't. While it was a good book, I threw it down when I finished reading it.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #1849
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#44 Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough

4 children trying to solve the mystery of Long Lankin. Ghost story but not scary. Maybe 3 out of 5 stars.

Book Challenge Goal 31/72
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1850
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post

I finished it, but I did not like that book either.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1851
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. I did not like the ending.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 29 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #1852
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:

Don't feel bad. I read all of it but hated the ending. Are you going to try either of her other books? They're a lot darker than Gone Girl, so if you didn't like it, you may want to steer clear of those.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #1853
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Don't feel bad. I read all of it but hated the ending. Are you going to try either of her other books? They're a lot darker than Gone Girl, so if you didn't like it, you may want to steer clear of those.
I just wasn't into the story itself.

I do like dark. Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors. The other stories sound more appealing to me.
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler
Old 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #1854
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

35/50 - When Mockingbirds Sing by Billy Coffey

Quote:
What marks the boundary between a miracle from God and the imagination of a child?

Leah is a child from Away, isolated from her peers because of her stutter. But then she begins painting scenes that are epic in scope, brilliant in detail, and suffused with rich, prophetic imagery. When the event foreshadowed in the first painting dramatically comes true, the town of Mattingly takes notice.

Leah attributes her ability to foretell the future to an invisible friend she calls the Rainbow Man. Some of the townsfolk are enchanted with her. Others fear her. But there is one thing they all agree on—there is no such thing as the Rainbow Man.

Her father, the town psychologist, is falling apart over his inability to heal his daughter . . . or fix his marriage. And the town minister is unraveled by the notion that a mere child with no formal training may be hearing from God more clearly than he does.

While the town bickers over what to do with this strange child, the content of Leah’s paintings grows darker. Still, Leah insists that the Rainbow Man’s heart is pure. But then a dramatic and tragic turn of events leaves the town reeling and places everyone’s lives in danger. Now the people of Mattingly face a single choice:

Will they cling to what they know . . . or embrace the things Leah believes in that cannot be seen?
I have mixed feelings about this book. Most of the reviews on Amazon were glowing, but I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other. The writing was good, the message was good ... but I guess I wasn't as "moved" as others were by reading it.

3/5 stars

Next up: Keeping Watch by Laurie King

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #1855
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #52 Exit the Actress by Priya Parmar
Review: Nell Gywnn is more than the mistress of Charles II. She was an orange seller, oyster seller, actress and a vibrant woman. I thought this book was well-written, descriptive and was a treat to read. I couldn't put it down!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #1856
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I feel like the freak of the thread almost every time I post. I seem to have very different taste than most people here, but I do have Gone Girl on my Kindle, thanks to this thread. Haven't started it yet...
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 1/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing

Currently reading: Secrets of the Tudor Court by Darcey Bonnette
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #1857
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #43- The Prison Angel by Mary Jordan

This book was for my book club. It's a story of a real life, twice divorced woman who decides to devote her life as a nun to help the poor & prisoners in Tijuana. She did so much to help so many without fear for her own life. It is very inspiring. The trouble I had was the compassion & respect she had for rapists, murderers, & drug lords. I just can't get past what they did.

The winners of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for international reporting tell the astonishing story of Mary Clarke. At the age of fifty, Clarke left her comfortable life in suburban Los Angeles to follow a spiritual calling to care for the prisoners in one of Mexico's most notorious jails. She actually moved into a cell to live among drug king pins and petty thieves. She has led many of them through profound spiritual transformations in which they turned away from their lives of crime, and has deeply touched the lives of all who have witnessed the depth of her compassion. Donning a nun's habit, she became Mother Antonia, renowned as "the prison angel," and has now organized a new community of sisters-the Servants of the Eleventh Hour—widows and divorced women seeking new meaning in their lives. "We had never heard a story like hers," Jordan and Sullivan write, "a story of such powerful goodness."

Next book: On Folly Beach

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 29 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #1858
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Well...

Organizing/updating and rearranging a Goodreads profile is as fun as doing it to a Pinterest account. It always sounds like WAAAAAAY more fun than it is.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #1859
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Ok I have finally made it back over to this thread to update my book list. Sorry its been so long --- life has gotten busy.

Goal: 30
Read: 16

Completed:
A Stolen Life: Jaycee Dugard
Cellar of Horror - Ken Englade
The Blood of Innocents -Guy Reel
House of Evil - John Dean
Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
Perfect Poision - M. Williams Phelps
For the Thrill of It - Simon Baatz
Shroud of the Nightingale - P.D. James
Unspoken - Lisa Jackson
Shiver - Lisa Jackson
Absolute Fear - Lisa Jackson
Lost Souls - Lisa Jackson
Hot Blooded - Lisa Jackson
Cold Blooded - Lisa Jackson
Devious - Lisa Jackson
Malice - Lisa Jackson

Currently Reading:
"All the Pretty Girls" by J.T. Ellison
I keep picking this book up and laying it down. I am determined to read it since I bought it.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 31 of 40 completed
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #1860
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#60 down and done.

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny. It is the height of summer, and Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his wife are celebrating their anniversary at the luxurious, isolated Manoir Bellechasse. But the Finney family - rich, cultured and respectable - has also arrived for a celebration of their own. As some surprising guests turn up, and a terrible storm leaves behind a dead body, Gamache soon learns that the seemingly peaceful lodge is a place where visitors come to escape their past, until that past catches up with them.

I love this series! Louise Penny has a real talent for plot development, character and scene description, and witty, believable dialogue. One silly little thing that tickles my fancy is that from time to time the characters speak French (the setting is in and around Quebec) and I understand it!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: