Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #1831
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Since we are halfway thru the year, I will set a goal of 20.
I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I enjoyed it, but absolutely hated the ending. But I'm intrigued by the author, so I'll check out Dark Places and Sharp Objects.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #1832
portia9
DIS Veteran

I'm on holidays so I've read 3 books this week

Goal 100

#73 The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler-Anne Tyler is my favourite writer and this book didn't disappoint
#74 Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth-I did enjoy the stories but I didn't warm to the author
#75 And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini-not my favourite of his but he writes fascinating female characters

I have started around three other books that I have struggled to get into. I love having a kindle on holidays!

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1833
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post

Although I won"t count it towards my total, I feel I must recommend the book I have just finished. It is called Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. It is about a Mother and her teenage daughter, who get caught in a fire at a school, and how they try to find out who set the fire...and why. This really was a great book, a real page-turner. I started it on Sunday and have barely been able to put it down since. I really identified with the characters and the relationships between them. I was honestly sad when I finished it as I didn"t want it to be over. A very firm 5/5.
I read that last year-I agree, it was fantastic.

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #1834
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
Since we are halfway thru the year, I will set a goal of 20.
I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I enjoyed it, but absolutely hated the ending. But I'm intrigued by the author, so I'll check out Dark Places and Sharp Objects.
OK, I'll mark you down for 20! Welcome, GaBelle!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #1835
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Book 14/40: America's Dream by Esmeralda Santiago

Here is amazon's summary:

Quote:
América Gonzalez is a hotel housekeeper on an island off the coast of Puerto Rico, cleaning up after wealthy foreigners who don't look her In the eye. Her alcoholic mother resents her; her married boyfriend, Correa, beats her; and their fourteen-year-old daughter thinks life would be better anywhere but with América. So when América is offered the chance to work as alive-in housekeeper and nanny for a family in Westchester County, New York, she takes it as a sign that a door to escape has been opened. Yet even as América revels in the comparative luxury of her new life, daring to care about a man other than Correa, she is faced with dramatic proof that no matter what she does, she can't get away from her past.
I liked the plot of this book. It was a good story. I thought the writing was pretty poor and it was not at all helped by the horrible Kindle version, which featured creative spelling of simple words such as "ypu" and "E1-le" (He. Yes, really. That's how Kindle spelled He in this book.)
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #1836
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#59 down and done.

Les Miserables: From Stage to Screen by Benedict Nightingale and Martyn Palmer. This was a very interesting book, chronicling the process of transferring the stage musical to the big screen. As a confessed Les Mis uber-fan, I found the whole thing fascinating, from concept to fruition. It was neat to read about the little behind-the-scenes tidbits, and the pictures were gorgeous. A must-read for any fan of the stage musical or the movie.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #1837
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book # 26 The Book Thief.... I've had this on my Kindle for almost a year, and I'm not sure why I've put off reading it.... it was an amazing book! I'm so sad that I've finished it...
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #1838
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Book # 26 The Book Thief.... I've had this on my Kindle for almost a year, and I'm not sure why I've put off reading it.... it was an amazing book! I'm so sad that I've finished it...
I'm not participating in this thread (I have a challenge on Goodreads) but this caught my eye. I've had this book for a couple years and haven't read it yet! Maybe you will inspire me.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #1839
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
I'm not participating in this thread (I have a challenge on Goodreads) but this caught my eye. I've had this book for a couple years and haven't read it yet! Maybe you will inspire me.
I also have this book on my Kindle (and have had for a couple of years). I have read nothing but good reviews of it and I really don't know why I am so reluctant to read it, I suspect probably because I like books that are 'easy to read'. I will definitely get round to it though as it seems a shame to be missing out on a potentially great book because of some unfounded reservations.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #1840
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Everyone should read The Book Thief. It's such a great book. One of my favorites of all time.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 87 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1841
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I also have this book on my Kindle (and have had for a couple of years). I have read nothing but good reviews of it and I really don't know why I am so reluctant to read it, I suspect probably because I like books that are 'easy to read'. I will definitely get round to it though as it seems a shame to be missing out on a potentially great book because of some unfounded reservations.
The Book Thief was not as difficult to read as I thought it was going to be. I started to read it about a year ago and put it down because the beginning was a bit "strange" I thought... but after my son was assigned it for 9th grade Honors English summer reading and so many people were talking it up, I decided to try it again...

The 2nd time I started it, the beginning didn't seem so strange to me. Either I was expecting it or I was just ready to plow through it - not sure, but after that part - it was just a regular book. It is considered a YA book. The topic it pretty heavy... but it is a great discussion book! It was fascinating to read a Holocaust book from the German perspective as Death told the story. Once I started - I could not put it down!!! It drew be back every time I had to leave to do something else. (I love those kinds of books.)

It's being made into a movie...
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1842
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I just finished The Paris Wife. I loved it. After I finished the final chapter and the epilogue and author's notes I cried. I was just so full of emotion and sadness. Sadness at Hadley's life, sadness at Ernest's life and torment and suicide and also that I finished the book. I am now going to read A Moveable Feast then A Farewell to Arms and The Sun Also Rises. I have to know more about this man and his writing. I can't wait to go to Paris later this month and walk in Young Hemingway' Paris.
I've also added the biography of Zelda Fitzgerald to my list of want to read.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #1843
portia9
DIS Veteran

#76 Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Not really a fan of this. It wasn't what I expected at all.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #1844
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Just completed Instructions for a Heat Wave by Maggie O'Farrell.

This book is the first I've read from this author. Amazon reviewers seem to like the author, so I thought I'd give this one a try. GoodReads rates this book with 4 stars.

I would have to say I kind of liked it. The character development was good which is important to me and the plot was interesting. Not overly thrilled with the ending. I mean, I pretty much knew the author's purpose with the ending but I thought she could have provided more detail.

Quote:
The stunning new novel from Costa Award winning novelist Maggie O'Farrell: a portrait of an Irish family in crisis in the legendary heatwave of 1976. It's July 1976. In London, it hasn't rained for months, gardens are filled with aphids, water comes from a standpipe, and Robert Riordan tells his wife Gretta that he's going round the corner to buy a newspaper. He doesn't come back. The search for Robert brings Gretta's children — two estranged sisters and a brother on the brink of divorce — back home, each with different ideas as to where their father might have gone. None of them suspects that their mother might have an explanation that even now she cannot share.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1845
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Book #46-Act Two by Kimberley Stuart. This is my first "Christian Fiction" book, and so far, since I've never read Christian Fiction, I'm very pleasantly surprised. I was afraid the religion might be kind of heavy-handed for me, but it isn't at all. The book so far (I'm only 20% into it) is very cute and enjoyable.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: