Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #1816
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Just finished "Sand Castle Bay" by Sherryl Woods. LOVED it! Small town, beach town, no sex, adorable little boy. What's not to love about it? The ending was wound up a little fast and conveniently though.
Right now I'm reading "Brute Strength" by Susan Conant. If you're a dog lover, how can you not love this book? If you're not a dog lover, why would you even want to read this book?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #1817
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 40 & 41 of 100 (trying to catch up!)

Book 40: The Heist(O'Hare and Fox #1) by Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldburg

Summary from Goodreads:
FBI Special Agent Kate O’Hare is known for her fierce dedication and discipline on the job, chasing down the world’s most wanted criminals and putting them behind bars. Her boss thinks she is tenacious and ambitious; her friends think she is tough, stubborn, and maybe even a bit obsessed. And while Kate has made quite a name for herself for the past five years, the only name she’s cared about is Nicolas Fox—an international crook she wants in more ways than one.

Audacious, handsome, and dangerously charming, Nicolas Fox is a natural con man, notorious for running elaborate scams on very high-profile people. At first he did it for the money. Now he does it for the thrill. He knows that the FBI has been hot on his trail—particularly Kate O’Hare, who has been watching his every move. For Nick, there’s no greater rush than being pursued by a beautiful woman . . . even one who aims to lock him up. But just when it seems that Nicolas Fox has been captured for good, he pulls off his greatest con of all: he convinces the FBI to offer him a job, working side by side with Special Agent Kate O’Hare.

Problem is, teaming up to stop a corrupt investment banker who’s hiding on a private island in Indonesia is going to test O’Hare’s patience and Fox’s skill. Not to mention the skills of their ragtag team made up of flamboyant actors, wanted wheelmen, and Kate’s dad. High-speed chases, pirates, and Toblerone bars are all in a day’s work . . . if O’Hare and Fox don’t kill each other first.

I really enjoyed this story, and look forward to more of the series. I expected it to be more like the Stephanie Plum novels, and was delighted that it is not. The humor that Evanovich brings to her books is still present, but there is more substance with these stories. It is fun to see the dynamic's of an FBI agent working with the thief she has hunted for many years work together. If you enjoy Janet Evanovich or light hearted con stories, give this one a try.

Book 41: Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard #1) by James Patterson

Summary by Goodreads: Imagine you wake up and the world around you-life as you know it-has changed in an instant. That's what has happened to Whit Allgood and his sister, Whisty. They went to sleep as normal teenagers, and woke up as wanted criminals. Accused of holding incredible powers they'd never dreamed possible. And now, just how different they are-special, even-if just beginning to be revealed in a strange new world.

For more information about the series, visit www.WitchandWizard.com.

It begins...now.

This is a young adult series by this well known author. I didn't know fully what to expect, but found that the concept intrigued me. I was drawn into the story quickly, and was able to find that I could relate to these teens who's lives had been turned upside down. I will be continuing the series as I am now starting book # 2 The Gift.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #1818
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Just finished Between Sisters by Kristen Hannah.

I usually really like Kristen Hannah books. This one was enjoyable enough but was REALLY not up to par with her other books. The storyline was pretty good and I certainly wanted to see it through; however, the diaglogue in this book, at times, was fairly simplistic and the "love" scenes were just not as sophistocated as she usually manages to do. I dunno this one was just a little rough around the edges.

When I think of Winter Garden and how beautiful of a story that was, it's hard for me to think that this was the same author.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #1819
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#58 down and done.

Mrs Jeffries Turns the Tide by Emily Brightwell is the most recent in this charming series of Victorian mysteries. In this story, Mrs. Jeffries and Inspector Witherspoon's household staff endeavor to track down the true killer of Ellen Langston-Jones, the French tutor of Sir Donovan Gaines' nieces. The Inspector and all of London are sure the killer is Lucius Montague, who was heard and seen threatening Mrs. Langston-Jones shortly before her death, but Mrs. Jeffries has her doubts. Her biggest problem is that Lucius Montague is a very disagreeable character and no one - including the Inspector's staff - is inclined to save his skin.

This is a very pleasant series (if murder mysteries can be called pleasant!) - no blood and guts or gore - and a very nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1820
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72
#43 Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Book Challenge Goal 73/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #1821
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #51 Anne of the Island by LM Montgomery

Review: Anne of the Island is my favorite Green Gables book in the series. This one tells how Anne went to Redmond college and I think that she matures greatly in this story. Anne meets a new friend, Phil and is reunited with her old ones from Queens,Stella and Priscilla. Gilbert Blythe is still sweet and it takes Anne a while to realize how much she loves him. We also find out what happened in Avonlea and Anne's friends.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #1822
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #41: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

My DH loved this book & kept telling me to read it. It was shocking to read all that this man went thru during WWII. There were multiple parts so brutal that were difficult to read b/c it was too much. I don't know how he survived & came out sane in the end.

Next book: Some Kind of Fairy Tale

Another for Unbroken. One of the best books I've read in the last few years.

I'm a little late to the party, but I almost always set my yearly goal at 50. I keep track on Goodreads and it lets me know when I'm not keeping up. (You're 15% behind )

Here is what I've read this year:

Abigail Adams by Woody Holton
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Finding God in the Story of Amazing Grace by Kurt Bruner
The General and Mrs. Washington: an Untold Story of Marriage and Revolution by Bruce Chadwick
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King
Amazing Love: True Stories of Love & Forgiveness by Corrie ten Boom
Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans
Amazing Faith: Stories of Christians in Defining Moments by Dwight Clough
Fatherless by James C. Dobson
The Killing Sea by Richard Lewis
Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers
How to Stay Christian in College by J. Budziszweski
Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
Ultra Marathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner by Dean Karnazes.
Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin

Last edited by Narnia_girl; 07-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #1823
wvjules
DIS Veteran

So I've been inspired by the Paris Wife to read A Moveable Feast and then A Farewell to Arms. Are there any Hemingway readers on here?
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #1824
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

34/50 - The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

I enjoyed this a lot. I rarely read YA novels, but after reading the description of this it sounded so good I couldn't say no.

My only gripe is that I wish more things about "the slowing" had been explained - the why, the how, etc. I liked the way it ended, though, and I would recommend it.

4/5 stars

Don't know what I'll read next. I'm #1 on the waitlist for 4 different books at the library, so it all depends on what comes up first.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #1825
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I know we are halfway through the year but I would love to join in. Can I have a 6-month target (till the end of the year)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
Me too!!
Sure you can join! It's NEVER too late for reading! I would just need a book count for you as your goal so that I can add you to the list in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia_girl View Post
Another for Unbroken. One of the best books I've read in the last few years.

I'm a little late to the party, but I almost always set my yearly goal at 50. I keep track on Goodreads and it lets me know when I'm not keeping up. (You're 15% behind )

Here is what I've read this year:

Abigail Adams by Woody Holton
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Finding God in the Story of Amazing Grace by Kurt Bruner
The General and Mrs. Washington: an Untold Story of Marriage and Revolution by Bruce Chadwick
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King
Amazing Love: True Stories of Love & Forgiveness by Corrie ten Boom
Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans
Amazing Faith: Stories of Christians in Defining Moments by Dwight Clough
Fatherless by James C. Dobson
The Killing Sea by Richard Lewis
Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers
How to Stay Christian in College by J. Budziszweski
Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
Ultra Marathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner by Dean Karnazes.
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your books so far this year. I'll be adding your goal of 50 books to the original post. HAPPY READING!
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #1826
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
So I've been inspired by the Paris Wife to read A Moveable Feast and then A Farewell to Arms. Are there any Hemingway readers on here?
I read Paris Wife last year and was inspired to do the same. It hasn't happened yet, though....

My son just got done with Old Man and the Sea because it was on his summer reading list. He said it was better than he thought it would be.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1827
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #42- Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce

This book is like an adult version of Alice in Wonderland. A teenage girl disappears one day, then shows up 20 yrs later. She says she was taken to another world & says she's been gone only 6 months. She hasn't aged & is confused why so much time went by. No one believes her story. I give this 3.5/5 stars. I love being drawn into mystical, fairy tale type stories, but this one didn't draw me in as much as I hoped. I think it was b/c of each chapter being written by a different character, it broke up the story too much. Plus, the few chapters where she does explain what happened to her, it is after the fact when she is telling this to her family or psychiatrist. This way it felt like we weren't getting the whole story. I think it would have been better if we had experienced it w/her originally as one whole experience.

Twenty years ago, teenager Tara Martin disappeared in the dense English forest known as the Outwoods, leaving her parents and her brother, Peter, to fear the unthinkable.
But on Christmas Day, the doorbell rings and there Tara stands—disheveled, unapologetic, and not looking a day over sixteen. It’s a miracle, but Peter is skeptical, especially when Tara claims that she was abducted by fairies. As those who loved and missed Tara attempt to understand where she’s been for two decades, they begin to ask the same question: Has Tara lost her sanity … or have they?

Next book: The Prison Angel: Mother Antonia's Journey from Beverly Hills to a Life of Service in a Mexican Jail (this is for my book club)

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 78 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #1828
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Sure you can join! It's NEVER too late for reading! I would just need a book count for you as your goal so that I can add you to the list in the first post.
Since we are halfway through the year and I have read 58 books so far, I will go for a further 58 by the end of 2013

Although I won"t count it towards my total, I feel I must recommend the book I have just finished. It is called Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. It is about a Mother and her teenage daughter, who get caught in a fire at a school, and how they try to find out who set the fire...and why. This really was a great book, a real page-turner. I started it on Sunday and have barely been able to put it down since. I really identified with the characters and the relationships between them. I was honestly sad when I finished it as I didn"t want it to be over. A very firm 5/5.

I have over 100 books waiting to be read on my Kindle so who knows what's next.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #1829
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Since we are halfway through the year and I have read 58 books so far, I will go for a further 58 by the end of 2013

Although I won"t count it towards my total, I feel I must recommend the book I have just finished. It is called Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. It is about a Mother and her teenage daughter, who get caught in a fire at a school, and how they try to find out who set the fire...and why. This really was a great book, a real page-turner. I started it on Sunday and have barely been able to put it down since. I really identified with the characters and the relationships between them. I was honestly sad when I finished it as I didn"t want it to be over. A very firm 5/5.

I have over 100 books waiting to be read on my Kindle so who knows what's next.
HOLEY MOLEY!! That's 116 books in a year?! I wish I could read that many books!

Adding you! WELCOME!
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #1830
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Just finished book #13 Crushed by Sara Shepard. I love the Pretty Little Liars series (guilty pleasure!) but she needs to wrap it up already. This was over the top crazy.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: