Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #1801
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #41: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

My DH loved this book & kept telling me to read it. It was shocking to read all that this man went thru during WWII. There were multiple parts so brutal that were difficult to read b/c it was too much. I don't know how he survived & came out sane in the end.

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.
The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.
Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

Next book: Some Kind of Fairy Tale

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 93 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #1802
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post

My DH loved this book & kept telling me to read it. It was shocking to read all that this man went thru during WWII. There were multiple parts so brutal that were difficult to read b/c it was too much. I don't know how he survived & came out sane in the end.

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.
The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.
Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

This sounds very interesting. I'll have to read it. Thanks!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #1803
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

# 8 Jepp, Who Defied the Stars
by Katherine Marsh
This book was a very unique Historical fiction piece. My daughter read before I did. She did not like as much as I did, but I must admit I was more intrigued with the historical part than the story. Takes place in 16th century in Netherlands and Denmark. Second half Jepp meets Tych Brahe (scientist/astronomer).I enjoyed this part the most.
I would give it 31/2 stars, more like four if you like historical fiction.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1804
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I know we are halfway through the year but I would love to join in. Can I have a 6-month target (till the end of the year)?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #1805
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book #25 The Light Between Oceans.... It took me a bit to get into this because the writing style is different than the books that I usually go for....but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. Then, as expected, I was sobbing at the end! I'm still thinking about it...a true sign of a good book!

Now I am off to figure out what to read next....1/2 way to my goal!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #1806
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride
I know we are halfway through the year but I would love to join in. Can I have a 6-month target (till the end of the year)?
Me too!!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1807
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the planes bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.
The lieutenants name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, hed been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

This is one of my favorite books. Unbelievable story, so inspiring!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #1808
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:

I LOVED Unbroken. I didn't think I would, not my usual genre but it had such great reviews that I gave it a shot and just loved it. I'm still struggling through Ladies Night. It's not awful but I am just not "getting into it"
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #1809
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 21 of 30

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 75 of 75:
1.A Shade of Blood, 2.A Castle of Sand, 3.Takedown Twenty, 4.Louisiana Longshot, 5.Dirty Little Secrets, 6.The One You Love, 7.The One You Fear, 8.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, 9.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 10.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 11.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 13.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 14.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 15.A Shadow of Light, 16.Hollow City, 17.Room, 18.The Barkeep, 19.A Blaze of Sun, 20.I Think I Love You, 21.Broken, 22.Body Movers, 23.A Gate of Night, 24.Trudge, 25.Soldier On, 26.In Harm’s Way, 27.A Pound of Flesh, 28.Taboo, 29.Hide and Seek, 30.Daddy’s Home, 31.Weddings Can Be Murder, 32.The Undead Heart, 33.Moving Day, 34.Monument 14, 35.Sky on Fire, 36.Savage Drift, 37.NOS4A2, 38.Her Last Breath, 39.One Lavender Ribbon, 40.Innocent in Las Vegas, 41.Saving Grace, 42.To Kill For, Awakening, 43.City of Bones, 44.City of Ashes, 45.City of Glass, 46.City of Fallen Angels, 47.City of Lost Souls, 48.City of Heavenly Fire, 49.A Break of Day, 50.The Gray and Guilty Sea, 51.Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 52.The Profiler, 53.Too Close To Home, 54.Hushabye, 55.The Girl Who Never Came Back, 56.Fatal Debt, 57.Deadly Bonds, 58.Kill The Competition, 59.Got Your Number, 60.In Deep Voodoo, 61.Crazy Little Things, 62.My Sister’s Grave, 63.Invisible, 64.Taken, 65.Love and Decay, 66.Episode 1, 67.Darkhouse, 68.Invisible(Ivy Malone #1), 69.Not What She Seems, 70.Tuesday’s Child, 71.The Best Medicine, 72.Castle Cay, 73.Hidden Secrets, 74.The Mind Readers, 75.Eleven
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #1810
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

If anyone is interested would gladly send a Kindle or Nook gift copy of my new book in exchange for feedback and or review.

Written for You is a Dark comedic mystery in play format. I might attempt to turn into novel, but figured I would release in the play format first.

Contest for a paperback copy is also availale below. Contest ends today.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ritten-for-you
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #1811
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

#31 - The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. An oldie but a goodie! It was a daily deal on either Amazon or Nook.

#32 - A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. A re-read for me; I was stuck with just my iPhone to read on, so re-read it as it's quick. Still made me cry a few times!

#33 - The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. "Eh" is about as much enthusiasm as I can drum up for this one.

Last edited by RunningGirl; 06-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #1812
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Another vote for this as a fave book. I learned so much from this book. My father was in WWII but he never talked about it and I would have been too young to understand. And this isnt the kind of detail that they teach you in school.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1813
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

#16/25: Insane City by Dave Barry
From Amazon:
Seth Weinstein knew Tina was way out of his league in pretty much any way you could imagine, which is why it continued to astonish him that he was on the plane now for their destination wedding in Florida. The Groom Posse had already sprung an airport prank on him, and he’d survived it, and if that was the worst of it, everything should be okay. Smooth sailing from now on.

Seth has absolutely no idea what he’s about to get into. In the next several hours, he and his friends will become embroiled with rioters, Russian gangsters, angry strippers, a pimp as big as the Death Star, a very desperate Haitian refugee on the run with her two children from some very bad men, and an eleven-foot albino Burmese python named Blossom. And there are still two days to go before the wedding.

As it turns out, it’s not smooth sailing, it’s more like a trip on the Titanic. And the water below him is getting deeper every minute. By the end, amid gunfire, high-speed chases, and
mayhem of the most unimaginable sort, violent men will fall, heroes will rise, and many lives will change.

Seth’s, not least of all.

I give it 4/5 stars. It was a quick laugh-out-loud read. The events are ridiculous, but slapstick funny.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 42/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #1814
wvjules
DIS Veteran

The Light Between Oceans - 4/5
I enjoyed this book. I honestly didn't know how it would end. I felt sorry for Isabella, but at the same time I wanted to smack some sense into her. I can't imagine the loss she felt but also was mad at her selfishness. Tom was a super-likable guy but a bit of a pushover. I love his unconditional love for Izzy but at times thought he needed to say "no" to her once in a while. All in all, I liked this book and would recommend it to friends. I did like the way the author ended it.

I'm almost halfway through listening to Bossypants. It is very laugh out loud listening. I also just started reading The Paris Wife. I'm going to have to add A Moveable Feast to my list now.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #1815
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
The Light Between Oceans - 4/5
I enjoyed this book. I honestly didn't know how it would end. I felt sorry for Isabella, but at the same time I wanted to smack some sense into her. I can't imagine the loss she felt but also was mad at her selfishness. Tom was a super-likable guy but a bit of a pushover. I love his unconditional love for Izzy but at times thought he needed to say "no" to her once in a while. All in all, I liked this book and would recommend it to friends. I did like the way the author ended it.

I'm almost halfway through listening to Bossypants. It is very laugh out loud listening. I also just started reading The Paris Wife. I'm going to have to add A Moveable Feast to my list now.
I agree with your comments on The Light Between Oceans and I liked the ending too.

#31 - Dark Places - finished it but didn't enjoy it. It was well written and wrapped up well but I really didn't like the feelings I got from the book. I love dark stories and books that don't always have a happy ending but something about this one just bothered me. I guess that's a sign of a good book though - gives some sort of strong feeling. Looking forward to reading Sharp Objects.

Last edited by StephMK; 07-01-2013 at 11:49 AM.
StephMK is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: