Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #1786
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Currently reading Book #44 of 65, "Sand Castle Bay". I'm ordinarily a Sherryl Woods fan and this doesn't disappoint-I know within the first few pages who's pairing up (either in this book or subsequent ones), I'm almost 40% thru and so far no steamy scenes, and it takes place near the ocean. What's not to love!? I think I might raise my goal to 75 books, but I'm thinking it should stay at 65 and I'll just secretly (well, it's no secret now!) hope for 75.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #1787
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Ok, got my card renewed and my hold list was intact. Wish I had done that before Sharp Objects hold time was up so I could have checked it out!

#30 -.
What a great thread ... had fun reading through and seeing many books that I have read/enjoyed and others that I was not aware of. I did like Gone Girl and thought about checking out the above. Would be great to hear what you think. I just finished Earth Afire by Orson Scott Card.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #1788
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I was in a rut for awhile there! I think I left off at....

37/50: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Meh.

38/50: Wicked Games by Jessica Clare

Abby Lewis never pictured herself on the survival game show, Endurance Island. She's just not the 'survival' type. But when her boss offers her a spot on the show and the opportunity of a lifetime, she packs her bags and heads to the tropics to be a contestant.

Once in the game, it's clear that Abby's in over her head. The game itself is full of competitive, aggressive people, and no one's more aggressive than sexy, delicious - and arrogant - Dean Woodall. Sure he's clever, strong, good at challenges, and has a body that makes her mouth water. He also hates Abby just as much as she hates him. That's fine with her; she'll just ignore the jerk.

But the rules of Endurance Island are working against them. Abby and Dean are teamed up - alone - on the beach. It's either work together, or go home. Stuck with no one else's company but their own, they learn they do make a good team after all.

And that with just a little bit of kindling, the flames of hate can quickly turn to flames of passion. This book features enemies, lovers, enemies who become lovers, and lots and lots of tropical heat...

I read this because I love SURVIVOR, and it's pretty good, for a Kindle freebie!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #1789
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I was in a rut for awhile there! I think I left off at....

37/50: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Meh.

38/50: Wicked Games by Jessica Clare

Abby Lewis never pictured herself on the survival game show, Endurance Island. She's just not the 'survival' type. But when her boss offers her a spot on the show and the opportunity of a lifetime, she packs her bags and heads to the tropics to be a contestant.

Once in the game, it's clear that Abby's in over her head. The game itself is full of competitive, aggressive people, and no one's more aggressive than sexy, delicious - and arrogant - Dean Woodall. Sure he's clever, strong, good at challenges, and has a body that makes her mouth water. He also hates Abby just as much as she hates him. That's fine with her; she'll just ignore the jerk.

But the rules of Endurance Island are working against them. Abby and Dean are teamed up - alone - on the beach. It's either work together, or go home. Stuck with no one else's company but their own, they learn they do make a good team after all.

And that with just a little bit of kindling, the flames of hate can quickly turn to flames of passion. This book features enemies, lovers, enemies who become lovers, and lots and lots of tropical heat...

I read this because I love SURVIVOR, and it's pretty good, for a Kindle freebie!
I think I'd like this one! Thanks!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #1790
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Still on 41 out of 80 books. Didn't get to finish reading the books I mentioned in a previous post on here. Had to bring them back to the library because there couldn't be renewed again.

Now I am reading: The House Girl by Tara Conklin and The Giving Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini.

2014 Reading Challenge: 42 out of 50 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #1791
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just completed A Girl Like You by Maureen Lindley. I really enjoyed this book. It is about a half-Japanese girl who is a tough upbringing under her harsh father but loving Japanese mother. Her father enlists in World War II and ends up being killed at Pearl Harbor. The girl and her mother are sent of to a "camp" for anyoen with a drop of Japanese in their blood.

This story shows a shameful part of the U.S. history as well as showing the predjudices the girl must deal with for being half Japanese/half white.

The book has a quite a bit of sadness in it but also some hope, joy and recovery.

Quote:
In the 1930s and '40s in Angelina, California, Satomi is the only girl with one white parent and one Japanese parent. There are Japanese families, but Satomi is neither a part of the white community nor the Japanese one. She is "other" to both. Things get worse for Satomi--and all people with even a drop of Japanese blood--when Japan poses a threat to the United States. Her father joins the Navy, in part to fight for his country, and in part to protect his wife and daughter from racist citizens, but dies in the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Rather than being celebrated as a hero, his death is ignored by the neighbors who shun Satomi and her mother. Shortly thereafter, they are taken to internment camps where they are treated like animals. Satomi's sudden loss of freedom is a terrible thing to bear, and she is disgusted by the utter lack of privacy, the open latrines, the sewage that runs behind their barrack, and the poorly built hovels that allow stinging dirt and dust to enter during frequent storms. But in the camp she finds a community for the first time. Not all of the Japanese residents welcome her, but Satomi and her mother find good friends in the family housed next to them in the barracks, and in the camp doctor, who is drawn to Satomi's spirit and her mother's grace. Satomi cares for Cora, one of the young orphans at the camp, as a daughter. Throughout it all, Satomi yearns for love. When she is finally freed from the internment camp, she heads east, finding a job, a shabby room, and several suitors in New York. There are men who would make her life easier, those who would take care of her, but Satomi insists on love--and finds it, in unexpected places.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #1792
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Been too long since I posted my updates here. Also, I have not been in much of a reading mood lately, so have fallen way behind on my reading goal.

Books 37, 38 & 39 of 100

Book 37: Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet #4) by Nora Roberts

Summary by Goodreads:
Parker Brown turned the quartet's childhood game of Wedding Day into their dream jobs. And now she's the face of Vows—the one who meets every bride's demands; keeps every event on schedule; and brings Emma's romantic flowers, Laurel's delicious treats, and Mac's stunning photgraphy together in one glorious package. She knows how to make dreams come true...

Mechanic Malcom Kavanaugh loves figuring out how things work, and Parker Brown—with her mile-long legs—is no exception. But as a good friend to Parker's brother, Mal knows that moving from minor flirtation to major hookup is a serious step.

No man has rattled Parker in a long time, but the motorcycle-riding, raven-haired Mal seems to have a knack for it. His passionate kisses always catch her of guard, much like her growing feelings for him. Parker's business risks have always paid off, but now she'll have to take the chance of a lifetime with her heart

As with the rest, I love these books.

Book 38: Pros and Cons (O'Hare and Fox #0.5) By Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg

Summary from Goodreads: Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg have teamed up for a dynamic new series featuring an FBI agent who’s on the hunt—and a master con artist who’s enjoying the chase. The con is on in this eBook original short story that’s a triumphant prequel to The Heist.

FBI special agent Kate O’Hare has made it her mission to nail international con artist Nicolas Fox. When she discovers his plot to plunder a venture capitalist’s twentieth-story Chicago penthouse of all its cash and treasures at the same time that the self-proclaimed “King of Hostile Takeovers” is getting married, Kate is 85 percent—okay maybe 92 percent—sure that she’s finally going to bag Nick Fox.

Problem is, first Kate has to convince her boss, building security, and maybe even herself, that wedding planner Merrill Stubing is actually Nicolas Fox. Second, she has to figure out how to corner and capture him without disrupting the event of the year. And third, what’s going to happen once O’Hare finally gets her hands on Fox? It’s going take a pro to catch a con before the fireworks over Lake Michigan go off.

Includes a sneak peek of The Heist, the first novel in the highly anticipated new series from Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg!

This was a short story, and I had to turn around and buy the new book out The Heist, which I am now reading.

Book 39: Justice In Her Funny Bone by Lolly Raliegh

Review from B&N Website: Meet loveable but quirky Detective Molly O’Brien.
And meet her next assignment… a serial killer loose in Cranberry County.
As the murder list grows, Molly’s problems grow just as fast; her partner Jake follows the letter of the law, and is ruthless in his pursuit to find the vigilante. Devilish FBI agent Luke Foreman is assigned to the case and carries his own secrets. A bumbling detective compromising crime scenes. A hyperactive Chippendale Dancer who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and worries he’s a suspect. And a gun found by Molly in her best friends closet that matches the one used in the crimes. Molly soon finds the boundaries of friendship, romance, and the law tested as justice fades to gray. This humorous mystery will keep you laughing and wondering ‘whodunit’ until the surprising conclusion.

This was a fun little summer read. I was kind of intrigued that it is a self published book, and as such has no chapter headings. If you are looking for for a thought provoking challenge, this is not it. If you want light fluff that will make you laugh, give it a try. Not the best book I have ever read, but certainly fun and kept me guessing throughout.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #1793
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I just completed A Girl Like You by Maureen Lindley. I really enjoyed this book. It is about a half-Japanese girl who is a tough upbringing under her harsh father but loving Japanese mother. Her father enlists in World War II and ends up being killed at Pearl Harbor. The girl and her mother are sent of to a "camp" for anyoen with a drop of Japanese in their blood.

This story shows a shameful part of the U.S. history as well as showing the predjudices the girl must deal with for being half Japanese/half white.

The book has a quite a bit of sadness in it but also some hope, joy and recovery.
Wow, that sounds good...I'm putting it on my wishlist
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #1794
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Books 12 and 13 (goal of 40): Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest

These are books 2 and 3 of The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I really enjoyed this series, but the first book is my favorite. I enjoy books with lots of character development and dialogue, not so much action. The first book is all about relationship building, life at court, political intrigue- my cup of tea, completely. The next two books had a lot more action before returning to the relationships, plotting and intrigue that got me hooked on the series. A lot of the endgame was broadcast imo, but it still had an impact. I never cry at books and the last book did make me cry once. while reading. And, uh, once more when I thought about it again later that evening. I guess I consider that a good thing that the book moved me so.

Not sure what's next. Something not 800 plus pages, that's for sure.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #1795
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Argh! I can't find my last post with my numbers (if anyone know how to do that, please let me know). And I haven't been keeping really good track,anyway. But here are the latest:

36. Laguna Heat, T. Jefferson Parker (decent, I may look for others by him)
37. Inferno, Dan Brown (better than his last one, the one set in DC, which I never finished)
38. Whiskey Beach, Nora Roberts (OK, so I like Nora Roberts -this was good)

There are a couple more - I'll have to find them.

Unfortunately for my reading, I've been on a Falling Skies tv show obsession lately. And I'd been working two jobs until earlier this week, so I'll get back to it! My stack of yet-to-reads is getting out of control.

ETA: I found it, so I put the numbers in. But if you know a better way than going through every page, please let me know!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09

Last edited by erincon23; 06-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #1796
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Thanks for the update! Hope you enjoy Zoo! I just picked up The Light Between Oceans at the Library and am going to start it tonight since it was recommended by a few people on this thread. I better get myself ready to cry!
Hope you enjoy it! I just recommended it to my MIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post
Just finished Lisa Gardner's Touch and Go. What a fantastic book, I loved it. So many twists and turns and never a dull moment. I never saw that ending coming. I can't wait to read some of her other books. Right now I am reading Ladies Night. It's ok, I'm hoping it gets better. I'm 29% through but seems the very beginning was as good as it gets
Thanks, sounds good! I couldn't find that particular book but my library had others by her. I checked out one and have another on hold. I like twists & turns that aren't obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
What a great thread ... had fun reading through and seeing many books that I have read/enjoyed and others that I was not aware of. I did like Gone Girl and thought about checking out the above. Would be great to hear what you think. I just finished Earth Afire by Orson Scott Card.
It's getting better! I think I had just come from a string of fluffy summer books and this tone is so dark. The beginning was disturbing but now I am enjoying the changes in perspective and time periods. Sometimes I get tired when books flip from character to character and change time periods but it works here. I'm halfway done.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #1797
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Argh! I can't find my last post with my numbers (if anyone know how to do that, please let me know). And I haven't been keeping really good track,anyway. But here are the latest:
Go to your profile. There's a tab titled "statistics" where you can look up all of your posts. If you post frequently, you will still have many pages of posts to go through, but at least you can skim the thread titles in the list to find it more easily than skimming pages of this thread. I keep track in my sig, as do several others. That's the easiest way.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #1798
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Thanks for the update! Hope you enjoy Zoo! I just picked up The Light Between Oceans at the Library and am going to start it tonight since it was recommended by a few people on this thread. I better get myself ready to cry!
I've only just started Zoo, but it has my interest so far! Last night I was out driving in the dark and started imagining lions, LOL! I have an overactive imagination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Currently reading Book #44 of 65, "Sand Castle Bay". I'm ordinarily a Sherryl Woods fan and this doesn't disappoint-I know within the first few pages who's pairing up (either in this book or subsequent ones), I'm almost 40% thru and so far no steamy scenes, and it takes place near the ocean. What's not to love!? I think I might raise my goal to 75 books, but I'm thinking it should stay at 65 and I'll just secretly (well, it's no secret now!) hope for 75.
Oh no! You can't just "secretly" mention you are hoping for 75! You're already well over halfway there! I'm updating your goal!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #1799
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Finished #23 out of 50 (and still behind schedule, sigh).

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Set in the present day and in the past in Hollywood and Italy, BEAUTIFUL RUINS is the story of a small group of men and women whose lives become entangled and forever joined from a scandal on the set of the legendary Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor film, CLEOPATRA.

The epicenter of the novel occurs on the coast of Italy in a forgotten town where a young man dreaming of becoming a hotelier and transforming his forgotten land into a tourist destination meets a dying actress who comes to stay with him. The time they spend together has a profound effect on both of their lives.

I'm not sure where to begin with this book. It was sad, but rewarding, poignant, full of regret, but yet with promise too. I only wish that the author would have developed the main characters of Dee and Pasquale more and spent less time on minor characters such as Claire and Shane.

I will probably reread this book at some point. It had so many great lines and messages contained within such as living in the moment rather than always waiting for the next big thing to happen in your life (a fault of mine). Some of my favorite quotes are:

Sometimes what we want to do and what we must do are not the same. Pasquale, the smaller the space between your desire and what is right, the happier you will be.

This is what happens when you live in dreams, he thought: you dream this and you dream that and you sleep right through your life.

And the biggest message of all that I absolutely hold dear to my heart because I personally struggle with this is this.

All we have is the story we tell. Everything we do, every decision we make, our strength, weakness, motivation, history, and character-what we believe-none of it is real; it's all part of the story we tell. But here's the thing: it's our *******ed story! (or goshdarnned since it asterisked out, lol)

The message here was not to let anyone else write YOUR story for you. Nobody has that right, but YOU. Nobody else gets to tell you WHO you are and how your life should be. Not your spouse nor your children nor your best friend nor your boss... and the list goes on and on.

And the saddest of all... and what I think is the main crux of the book:

His life was two lives now: the life he would have and the life he would forever wonder about.

OK, I should quit now, but it's hard. This book had so many gems!!

Next up: Zoo by James Patterson (I'm really excited to jump into this one!)

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

Last edited by threeboysmom; 06-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #1800
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Last post of mine I could find was book 46 so to continue....

47 sweet stuff by donna kauffman
48 before i fall by lauren oliver
49 night circus by erin morgnenstern
50 match me if you can by susan elizabeth perkins (3 stars)
51 what stays in vegas by beth labonte (4 stars - great light read)
52 this tangled thing called love by marie astor
53 dark chocolate by love barkhurst (3 stars)
54 a wedding in apple grove by c.h. admirand (3 stars)
55 admission by jean hanff koreliltz (2 stars)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: