Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #166
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Finally finished my first book of 2013!
This year I'm trying to pick books from two lists I have from Bookpage. One is a list of 25 reader favorites & the other is a list of 50 Bookpage editor favorites. So I started with picking the top ranked that were on both lists.

Goal 72

#1 The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Lighthouse keeper and his wife on a remote island dealing with tragic loss & some hard choices to make.

This book was number 2 on the top 25 & number 10 on the top 50. Afraid I can't give it that high a rating.....

Book Challenge Goal 68/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #167
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I just finished "The Glass Castle" by Jennette Walls.

It's a memoir about her life being moving from town to town in her early childhood, finally settling in Welch, WV. It was a fast read but I didn't really connect with the author. I'd give it 3 out of 5 starts.

Next up: The Fault in Our Stars.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #168
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post

It's a memoir about her life being moving from town to town in her early childhood, finally settling in Welch, WV. It was a fast read but I didn't really connect with the author. I'd give it 3 out of 5 starts.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that didn't like it. My sister absolutely loved it, but I didn't connect either.

Re-reading Great Gatsby, and not enjoying it as much as I remembered. Just pushing through to get done!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #169
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that didn't like it. My sister absolutely loved it, but I didn't connect either.

Re-reading Great Gatsby, and not enjoying it as much as I remembered. Just pushing through to get done!
I thought The Glass Castle was "just okay" but sometimes I think it's just me. I'm not wowed by a lot. Anyway, there is a prequel to The Glass Castle--Half Broke Horses. Well, it's not really a prequel I guess, but it is about the author's grandmother. For some reason, I enjoyed that book more, although it doesn't get as much love as the other one.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #170
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Finally finished my first book of 2013!
This year I'm trying to pick books from two lists I have from Bookpage. One is a list of 25 reader favorites & the other is a list of 50 Bookpage editor favorites. So I started with picking the top ranked that were on both lists.

Goal 72

#1 The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Lighthouse keeper and his wife on a remote island dealing with tragic loss & some hard choices to make.

This book was number 2 on the top 25 & number 10 on the top 50. Afraid I can't give it that high a rating.....
I have that one on my "to-read" list based on its great reviews and interesting storyline. Without giving away the story, can you say why you didn't like it?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I thought The Glass Castle was "just okay" but sometimes I think it's just me. I'm not wowed by a lot. Anyway, there is a prequel to The Glass Castle--Half Broke Horses. Well, it's not really a prequel I guess, but it is about the author's grandmother. For some reason, I enjoyed that book more, although it doesn't get as much love as the other one.
Hmmm.... I may have to rethink The Glass Castle. Maybe I'll look into Half Broke Horses instead.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #171
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

Goal - 52 books

I am on my third book of the year. I read a free Kindle book called "Worth the Weight" by Mara Jacobs and liked it so much that I've bought the other two books in the trilogy - "Worth the Drive" and "Worth the Fall". I am reading the third one now and really enjoying it.

The books are set in Michigan, in the Upper Penninsula, and the characters are very endearing - three women in their mid-thirties who have been best friends since kindergarten. The first book is about "the nice one"; the second book is about "the pretty one"; and the third is about "the smart one". The books are best described as romances with some very "hot" scenes, but it's not gratuitous sex - the stories really carry the day.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #172
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
Goal - 52 books

I am on my third book of the year. I read a free Kindle book called "Worth the Weight" by Mara Jacobs and liked it so much that I've bought the other two books in the trilogy - "Worth the Drive" and "Worth the Fall". I am reading the third one now and really enjoying it.

The books are set in Michigan, in the Upper Penninsula, and the characters are very endearing - three women in their mid-thirties who have been best friends since kindergarten. The first book is about "the nice one"; the second book is about "the pretty one"; and the third is about "the smart one". The books are best described as romances with some very "hot" scenes, but it's not gratuitous sex - the stories really carry the day.
Sounds a lot like a Nora Roberts trilogy. They also involve three women and each book focuses on that woman's story. There is also a hot romance (guy) for each woman, along with a little bit of a supernatural flare thrown in.

I'll have to look these up on Amazon for the reviews. I do like the Nora Roberts' trilogies.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #173
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I have that one on my "to-read" list based on its great reviews and interesting storyline. Without giving away the story, can you say why you didn't like it?
Also finished this one (The Light Between Oceans) in December and it was okay, but not great. It's not a book I will be recommending to my friends.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #174
SEASONK
Mouseketeer

Goal 75

#1 ~ Just The Way You Are by Barbara Freethy

A young couple have one night together and conceive a child. They get married, and change their life course. 9 years later they are reevaluating the decision to get married. Some other family dynamics are involved also.

Quick easy read, some might call it a cheesy romance. I liked that it was a light read, and a well written story.

Free kindle book.
WL ~ Dec 2010
CBR ~ Oct 2012
SEASONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #175
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Also finished this one (The Light Between Oceans) in December and it was okay, but not great. It's not a book I will be recommending to my friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I don't know really, just seemed to 'drag along'. I wanted to know the ending so I kept reading, lol. I didn't connect with the characters altho I could understand their actions most of the time. I love thrillers, which this book did not fall into that cat. But other than thrillers I like something uplifting and this book didn't do that either.

Book Challenge Goal 68/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #176
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Goal 30 books but hope to read more.

I have finished (in 2013) Off Season and Offspring by Jack Ketchum. Not for the faint of heart - about cannibals on the Maine coast. Very gory.

I also finished in 2012 his book The Girl Next Door based on the story of Sylvia Likens who was abused and tortured to death by her care giver/children/neighbohood kids in the 1960's.

I am ready for some light reading now.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #177
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEASONK View Post
Goal 75

#1 ~ Just The Way You Are by Barbara Freethy

A young couple have one night together and conceive a child. They get married, and change their life course. 9 years later they are reevaluating the decision to get married. Some other family dynamics are involved also.

Quick easy read, some might call it a cheesy romance. I liked that it was a light read, and a well written story.

Free kindle book.
Are you also a Barbara Freethy fan? I read that book and really liked it. Rught now I'm reading "Some Kind of Wonderful". Another cheesy romance that I'm thoroughly enjoying.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #178
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I thought about reading The Glass Castle, but now I am not so sure. I have The Fault in Our Stars on my list as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #179
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Alright, finished Great Gatsby. Now onto The Fault in Our Stars.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #180
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

Put me down for 52 - though, admittedly, a couple are going to be small. I still have quite a few YAs of my DD's to catch up on and some of them are short. I also have a few that I started, but never got back to. Hope it OK to use this challenge to force me to get back to them!

#1 - "Gone Girl"

just started "The Book Thief" last night.

(I have a good 60-70 books on my Shelfari "to read" and "owns" list - so I need this push to get me back to reading!!!)

'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: