Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #1771
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
Goal - 24 books
Short Story - How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman - It seems like the perfect segue from "How to be Black" to a Gaiman novel. I'm noting it here but I'm not counting it towards my goal.
Haha, and what did you learn about talking to girls at parties? lol lol

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope

Currently reading: #14 Perfect People

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #1772
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
threeboysmom: As I've already met my goal of 52 books this year (55 posted, three yet to be posted), could you please increase my goal to 75 books?

This has been such a fun thread, and I've gotten a ton of recommendations for new books and authors; I have some kindred soul readers here, and we still have six more months to share!

Queen Colleen
I'm jealous! 55 books already?! I'll update your goal in first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Book #24 Zoo... James Patterson

I really liked this book a lot too and could not put it down. I thought the idea was really interesting.

threeboysmom - can you increase my book goal from 30 to 50, please? Thanks!
Yup, will update you as well! Nice work!!

I'm excited to start Zoo next - hopefully soon!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope

Currently reading: #14 Perfect People

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #1773
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Finished # 15: Never Buried by Edie Claire
From Goodreads:
A young advertising executive finds her life in turmoil--she just lost her job, she may or may not have a boyfriend, and she's trying to help her cousin through a pregnancy. If that weren't enough, she wakes up to find a strange man lying in her backyard hammock. The fact that he is dead, and apparently has been embalmed for years, doesn't exactly help. With lots of time on her hands and a knack for nosing around, the young woman finds herself in the middle of a classic murder mystery. But can she solve the riddle before the killer puts her six feet under?

This was a Kindle freebie. It was a light and enjoyable read. I don't think I would pay for the others in the series, but would not hesitate to read them if I could get them for free.

I give it 3/5 stars.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 10/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #1774
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Under the Dome

For those of you who read the book and watched the first installment of the miniseries, what did you think? I drove my husband crazy! All I could say was "Wow, just wow!" every time there was a major change.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 10/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1775
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Oh, I totally forgot that was starting! I hope they replay it.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 30 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #1776
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#42 The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

The Shining Girls is a novel by South African author Lauren Beukes. The book centers around a time-traveling Depression-era drifter who must murder the "shining girls" in order to continue his travels. Kirby survives the attempt on her life & becomes obsessed with finding her attacker.

Loved this book! 5 out of 5 Stars.

Book Challenge Goal 32/72
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #1777
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post

Yup, will update you as well! Nice work!!

I'm excited to start Zoo next - hopefully soon!
Thanks for the update! Hope you enjoy Zoo! I just picked up The Light Between Oceans at the Library and am going to start it tonight since it was recommended by a few people on this thread. I better get myself ready to cry!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #1778
KrazyPete
skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Haha, and what did you learn about talking to girls at parties? lol lol
It was pretty much stuff that I already knew. They talk gibberish a lot and are probably aliens.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #1779
KrazyPete
skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
For those of you who read the book and watched the first installment of the miniseries, what did you think? I drove my husband crazy! All I could say was "Wow, just wow!" every time there was a major change.
I liked it but I think I need to watch it again. I kept getting characters mixed up because of all the changes they made. I probably would have been less confused if I hadn't read the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans
Oh, I totally forgot that was starting! I hope they replay it.
Stream it on CBS.com
Old 06-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #1780
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#56 and #57 down and done.

#56 - Cousin Prudence by Sarah Waldock. Another Jane Austen spin-off with the characters from Emma.

#57 - Rosings - Yet ANOTHER Jane Austen spin-off, featuring Mr. Darcy's cousin Anne de Bourgh.

I think I need to get off this train for awhile!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #1781
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Ok, got my card renewed and my hold list was intact. Wish I had done that before Sharp Objects hold time was up so I could have checked it out!

#30 - Elly in Bloom - cute summer read. Woman leaves husband, starts new life owning a florist shop. It's about figuring out her future and coming to terms with her past. I worked in a flower shop years ago and liked reading about the arrangements. Light, easy read.

Anyway, I started Dark Places - wow, it is really, really dark. I love dark books & Gone Girl is one of my favs. But this one is dark in a different way somehow and I'm having trouble reading it in some parts. I'm going to finish it but don't think I'm going to like this one as much.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1782
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

33/50 - The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

I liked the book, the writing was great, but the storyline was so sad. The ending was as expected. I wish the author had ended it a little differently, at least made it slightly more upbeat.

4/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #1783
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Just finished Lisa Gardner's Touch and Go. What a fantastic book, I loved it. So many twists and turns and never a dull moment. I never saw that ending coming. I can't wait to read some of her other books. Right now I am reading Ladies Night. It's ok, I'm hoping it gets better. I'm 29% through but seems the very beginning was as good as it gets
Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #1784
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

#28 of 52
1930 by M.L. Gardner.
This is the second book in a series. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I do recommend the series so start with 1929. Looking forward to the next book.

From Amazon;
The long awaited second book in the 1929 Jonathanís Cross trilogy.
Itís June, 1930 and life is harder than ever. The residents of Rockport, Massachusetts have just held a memorial service for Aryl Sullivan. Everyone searches for ways to cope and continue on with life, except his pregnant widow, Claire, who is devastated. Caleb drowns his sorrow in a bottle of whiskey and Jonathan anxiously awaits the birth of his child. Once again, Maura is put to work to see them past the worst of it, facing setbacks of her own.
As the gears of life slowly start to move again, new friends are made and old enemies return to finish what they started. At Mauraís inarguable insistence, Claire meets Gordon, a widower, and they begin to forge a bond through a common sorrow. As Claire begins to move on and accept her new life, Aryl returns. While a happy reunion at first, all is not as it seems with Aryl. As his self destruction becomes obvious to everyone, Jonathan and Caleb must do what they can to save their friend.

#29 of 52
Unintended Consequences by Marti Greene.
When I first started it I was a bit wishy washy as I didn't care for the writing and some of the repetitiveness. But as I went on it got so good and I couldn't put it down. Some things were pretty obvious of how things were going to go but it didn't really matter because it was so engrossing. Ended up staying up until 2:30 the other night to finish it. I'm really glad I stuck with it!

From Amazon;
Nineteen years ago, Indiana police found the body of a young girl, burned beyond recognition and buried in the woods. They arrested George Calhoun for murdering his daughter, and his wife testified against him at the trial. The jury convicted him. Now his appeals have been exhausted, and his execution is just a few weeks away.

George said he didnít do it. That the body isnít his little Angelina. But thatís all heís ever said Ė no other defense, no other explanation.
Dani Trumball, an attorney for the Help Innocent Prisoners Project, wants to believe him. After all, there was no forensic evidence that the body in the woods was Georgeís daughter. But if the girl isnít Angelina, then who is it? And what happened to the Calhounsí missing daughter?
For nineteen years, George Calhoun has stayed silent. But thatís about to change, and the story he tells Danióif itís trueóchanges everything.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #1785
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal-25 Completed-14

Inferno
Dan Brown

It has been summarized here already so I'll just give my review.

I did enjoy this book. It was the usual Dan Brown novel and I felt like this one kind of fizzled out in the end. It started off great...then slowed way down and I think the ending was rushed. Dante's Divine Comedy is some of my favorite reading so I LOVED the history and mystery of this story.

Plus...What a scary notion that WHOLE thing is!!!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: