Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #1741
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I liked Zoo a lot!

It's a really neat theme I thought. I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks! I will let you know... started it last night!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #1742
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #49 The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel

Review: I like this book a lot! We have known so much about the early days of space travel and the men who fly but what about the wives? The book takes a closer and more personal look at the women who were left on Earth while the men were in space and how it affected them.
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1743
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'm a little more than halfway to my goal of 25. Finished book 13 last night. So far I've read:

1. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
2. Burned by Sara Shepard
3. NKOTB: 5 Brothers and a Million Sisters by Nikkin Van Noy
4. Ali's Pretty Little Lies by Sara Shepard
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
6. Where She Went by Gayle Forman
7. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
8. Lucky Charm by Marie Astor
9. If You Lived Here You'd Be Perfect By Now Guide to SVH by Robin Hardwick
10. Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride by Sandra D Bricker
11. The Devil Has Dimples by Pepper Phillips
12. Starstruck by Lauren Conrad
13. The Carrie Diaries by Candance Bushnell

Wow I read a lot of YA!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #1744
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm a little more than halfway to my goal of 25. Finished book 13 last night. So far I've read:

1. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
2. Burned by Sara Shepard
3. NKOTB: 5 Brothers and a Million Sisters by Nikkin Van Noy
4. Ali's Pretty Little Lies by Sara Shepard
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
6. Where She Went by Gayle Forman
7. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
8. Lucky Charm by Marie Astor
9. If You Lived Here You'd Be Perfect By Now Guide to SVH by Robin Hardwick
10. Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride by Sandra D Bricker
11. The Devil Has Dimples by Pepper Phillips
12. Starstruck by Lauren Conrad
13. The Carrie Diaries by Candance Bushnell

Wow I read a lot of YA!
Good for you for remembering all the titles and authors; if I don't post almost immediately after finishing a book, I forget what books I've read!

If YA is your genre, go for it! There are plenty of good authors out there to feed your habit .

In addition to Jane Austen-type novels, my favorite genre is mystery and thrillers. My DDs say they're glad that I'm a law-abiding citizen because I've read enough murder and mayhem, death and destruction to work out a way to commit the perfect crime!

Happy Reading!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1745
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just finished My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall.

I really enjoyed this. She followed a nice timeline in her book and, well, there was just a LOT that I didn't know about Penny Marshall. She's led a very interesting life.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1746
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#41 Horns by Joe Hill

Was ok, but not as good as I wanted it to be. Looking forward to reading his other books tho.

Book Challenge Goal 60/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #1747
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I had to start the list in my signature too! I just re-downloaded a book I had already read!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #1748
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #39- A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

I just picked this up from the library while trying to find something to read. It was an intriguing murder mystery. I didn't know who did it til it was revealed at the end. Two odd things about this book: 1. At first I thought it was odd that the gender of the child wasn't mentioned, but found out as the story went on, there was a reason it's not mentioned. 2. It is not exactly revealed when this story takes place. To me it's seems to take place in an earlier time (maybe the 1920's-30's) based on the characters & language, but with mentions of computers & such, it is obviously is a more current story. The talk of computers kept throwing me off b/c it didn't seem to fit, but appropriately to the story they weren't even used due to the location of the crime.

It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn not far from the village of Three Pines. But theyre not alone. The Finney familyrich, cultured, and respectablehas also arrived for a celebration of their own.
The beautiful Manoir Bellechasse might be surrounded by nature, but there is something unnatural looming. As the heat rises and the humidity closes in, some surprising guests turn up at the family reunion, and a terrible summer storm leaves behind a dead body. It is up to Chief Inspector Gamache to unearth secrets long buried and hatreds hidden behind polite smiles. The chase takes him to Three Pines, into the dark corners of his own life, and finally to a harrowing climax.

Next book: Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 59 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #1749
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I hope we do this thread in 2014
Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #1750
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I hope we do this thread in 2014
If you post it they will come...
(In my Field of Dreams voice)
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #1751
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had to start the list in my signature too! I just re-downloaded a book I had already read!
I had to do the same thing with my signature. I couldn't remember what # book I was on.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #1752
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #39- A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

I just picked this up from the library while trying to find something to read. It was an intriguing murder mystery. I didn't know who did it til it was revealed at the end. Two odd things about this book: 1. At first I thought it was odd that the gender of the child wasn't mentioned, but found out as the story went on, there was a reason it's not mentioned. 2. It is not exactly revealed when this story takes place. To me it's seems to take place in an earlier time (maybe the 1920's-30's) based on the characters & language, but with mentions of computers & such, it is obviously is a more current story. The talk of computers kept throwing me off b/c it didn't seem to fit, but appropriately to the story they weren't even used due to the location of the crime.
Oooh, that's the only Louise Penny/Inspector Gamache book that I haven't read yet! I keep waiting for it to come to our library (they keep promising to buy it, but it's not there yet!), but I may have to suck it up and buy it myself. Thanks for the review.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #1753
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
Good for you for remembering all the titles and authors; if I don't post almost immediately after finishing a book, I forget what books I've read!

If YA is your genre, go for it! There are plenty of good authors out there to feed your habit .

In addition to Jane Austen-type novels, my favorite genre is mystery and thrillers. My DDs say they're glad that I'm a law-abiding citizen because I've read enough murder and mayhem, death and destruction to work out a way to commit the perfect crime!

Happy Reading!

Queen Colleen
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I had to do the same thing with my signature. I couldn't remember what # book I was on.
Are you guys on Goodreads? Every year they have a book challenge and will keep track of your reading goals. Even if you don't sign up for it you can 'shelve' books you've read and review them. I could never remember all those books on my own. I looked it up on goodreads!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #1754
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post

Are you guys on Goodreads? Every year they have a book challenge and will keep track of your reading goals. I could never remember all those books on my own. I looked it up on goodreads!
I am and I did start to use their challenge as well. It was annoying me though because I re-read some books at the beginning of the year and I couldn't figure out how to add them!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #1755
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I am a member of goodreads too. I had the list there but thought it might be easier if I just added to my signature here too. I like how it tells me how far ahead of my goal I am.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: