Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #1711
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananasplitkids View Post
I've been following this thread and I just finished the Maze Runner. Such a great book but makes me so sad with how it ended.
Keep reading the series.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 92 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #1712
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Just finished "The Reluctant Bachelorette" by Rachel Anderson. I was really looking for a romantic comedy, which this book was advertised to be. Also, the premise was supposed to be based on The Bachelorette TV show, so I thought I'd like it. Here's my review-

This book might have been OK, but instead it disappointed me for several reasons. For one thing, it was described as a romantic comedy. I suppose it was a little cute, but certainly not funny as I'd expect a "romantic comedy" to be. Also, I felt the main character played with emotions so much without much regard to who got hurt. And although the premise was raising money to save farms, there wasn't much of any interaction with the people who'd benefit from the money raised. But if you're a fan of the Bachelorette TV show, you might like the storyline of this book. Just be prepared that it really isn't very funny and feelings do get hurt. And seeing how feelings got hurt with little regard gave me a different take on the TV show!
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #1713
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #47 The Drowning House by Elizabeth Black

Review: This book was on my wishlist forever and I finally found it at the library and the only thing I have to say is I am glad I didn't buy it. I was so disappointed with this novel because the story could have been interesting. Basically, Claire arrives back to Galveston,Texas to help work on a archive of the Carraday house and the mystery of Stella, a young woman who had died in that home. Claire is having a hard time as her child had died in an accident before and her marriage is falling apart. She has arrived back to her hometown despite the fact that when she was younger she and Patrick Carraday, the son of the richest man in town were a part of a horrible accident and scandal. Claire tries to get in touch with her past and untangle the difficult history of the Carradays and her own family.

Sounds great,right?!

Nope. I thought the story of Claire and even the mystery of Stella was really good and if the author stayed on point, the book could have been great. However, I feel the author had lost her voice and tried to be too much like Pat Conroy without the wit. Claire's narrative seemed to wander without a point and her train of thought found me wanting to scream "Get on with the story already!" I also found the story's resolution to be short and I feel that there is a lack of insight into the characters. I also found the author's writing style leaving me in the dark about some things such as who is talking or if the scene has even changed. I found it annoying.

But there are some good points to the story. The tale of Stella is good as well as the brief descriptions of Claire's life. I found the descriptions of the island and the homes to be vivid. I found Claire to be unlikeable as she empathy for others and her motives and personality are unclear. She is also pretty condescending to the majority of the characters. Although I didn't like her, I understood that her behavior was central to the story as her past is explained more.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #1714
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #36- Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet by Stephanie Cowell

I read this for my book club & it was pretty interesting. I love his paintings & it was sad to read about his struggles. I enjoyed reading about his struggling artist friends, like Renoir & Cezanne. With books like these, you never know how much of it really happened & how much is artistic exaggerations by the author. I give this 3.5 out of 5.

In the mid-nineteenth century, a young man named Claude Monet decided that he would rather endure a difficult life painting landscapes than take over his fathers nautical supplies business in a French seaside town. Against his fathers will, and with nothing but a dream and an insatiable urge to create a new style of art that repudiated the Classical Realism of the time, he set off for Paris.
But once there he is confronted with obstacles: an art world that refused to validate his style, extreme poverty, and a war that led him away from his home and friends. But there were bright spots as well: his deep, enduring friendships with men named Renoir, Cézanne, Pissarro, Manet  a group that together would come to be known as the Impressionists, and that supported each other through the difficult years. But even more illuminating was his lifelong love, Camille Doncieux, a beautiful, upper-class Parisian girl who threw away her privileged life to be by the side of the defiant painter and embrace the lively Bohemian life of their time.

Next book: Sea Change

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 92 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #1715
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book # 20 Taking Eve by Iris Johansen - I enjoyed this book - it's part of a trilogy. The next one is supposed to be out soon, and I'm glad because it really left off in a hanging place.... but not like a cliffhanger...more just unfinished...

Book # 21 The Hit by David Baldacci - This book was great! I couldn't put it down and read it very quickly. It was one of those books where you just can't wait to get home and read more!

Not sure what I am going to read next....hmmmm...

Oh, and since I am already up to 21 books I would like to increase my goal from 30 to 50..... thanks!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #1716
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 books

Book #42 - "Always the Baker, Finally the Bride"

This was a really cute summer read! Not much in the way of thinking, but it was just perfect for reading while watching the kids in the pool.

Emma Rae Travis is chief baker for The Tanglewood, a destination wedding hotel. Now, she's planning her own wedding, and things don't always go according to plan. She's designed hundreds of wedding cakes for clients, but can't seem to find the perfect design for her own wedding.

Next Up - "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #1717
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Finished #14/25:
Two Guys Detective Agency by Stephanie Bond

A very quick and light read reminiscent of the Stephanie Plum books.

From Amazon:
A new humorous mystery series! Linda and Octavia are estranged sisters. The stay-at-home mom and socialite have never had much in common...until now. When they suddenly find themselves husbandless and broke, they reluctantly agree to combine their talents and take on a faltering P.I. agency in a strip mall. Old emotional wounds keep the two at odds and both sisters think they've made a huge mistake. But soon they realize all their clients have secrets...and who better to help them than two women who have secrets of their own?

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 42/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #1718
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

#21 out of 50

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - So many people have listed this book as their "favorite book of all time" so that prompted me to give it a whirl since I have never read it. I enjoyed the character of Francie and found her inspiring and hopeful in the face of hardship, but I think I probably would have enjoyed the book more if I had read it as a young adult. Very well written though and I'm glad I had the chance to read it, but don't feel I liked it enough to gush over and recommend to all my family and friends.

#22 out of 50

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella - Newest book by Kinsella of whom I am a big fan. This one didn't disappoint. Lottie gets married on a whim to an old flame, and her sister tries everything she can to spoil their wedding night so that the marriage can be annulled. Ended in a true cliché fashion, lol, but I found myself laughing out loud at the lengths the sister went through to keep these two apart on their wedding night. Perfect book to read over a summer weekend at the beach or poolside. Goes without saying, if you don't enjoy Kinsella's sense of humor, you probably won't like this one either.

Next up:

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter - Hmmm I can't say WHY this book is on my "to read" list - I can't remember... but something must have intrigued me, so I'll give it a try.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #1719
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I finished listening to We Need to Talk About Kevin. I was annoyed by Eva in the first half of the book then grew to feel sorry for her as the book went on. The second half of the book was much better than the first, IMO. I give it a 4/5.

On a related note: Do you think some people are just born evil?

I'm now reading Inferno. I'm only about 20% in but enjoying it. It's fast paced and keeps you interested.

ETA: I have read 19 of 25.
  1. We Need to Talk About Kevin
  2. Under the Dome
  3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  4. Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3)
  5. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  6. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
  8. One Second After
  9. Into the Darkest Corner
  10. Before I Go To Sleep
  11. Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2)
  12. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  13. Bared to You (Crossfire, #1)
  14. Defending Jacob author
  15. Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)
  16. Rush Home Road
  17. On the Island
  18. The Fault in Our Stars
  19. The Glass Castle

Last edited by wvjules; 06-18-2013 at 11:44 AM.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #1720
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#54 down and done.

Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard is written in the same style as Killing Lincoln, another book by O'Reilly. This one starts about 2-1/2 years before that fateful November day, and it covers the actions, thoughts, and conversations of many of the fringe players, as well as those of the principals.

It would be interesting to know just how O'Reilly knew the innermost thoughts of Lee Harvey Oswald, unless he had access to police interviews that covered these thoughts, but I didn't see anything like that in the epilogue or acknowledgements. I suspect that there aren't a lot of us on this board who really remember that day; I'm old enough, and it was interesting to see what came before and to learn more of the details of what came after.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #1721
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

#27 of 52

Just finished Joe Hill's NOS4R2. I really liked it quite a bit. Very reminiscent of Stephen Kings earlier work. There is even a nod to one. The only thing I was disappointed in was the ending. I mean it ended well, but I felt a bit of it was glossed over that I would have liked to see how it was dealt with. If you've read it you probably know what I mean. But all in all, it was a great read. I highly recommend it!

From Amazon;
NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #1722
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #71 London by Edward Rutherford-a history of London with fictional characters. He writes a good detailed saga.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1723
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #10 - World War Z by Max Brooks - I liked it. It tells the story of humanity's struggle against the undead from the first outbreaks through a Worldwide war. It reads like non-fiction. The story is told through a bunch of eye witness interviews. There is almost no character development but the quickly shifting perspective gives you the "history" from diverse and interesting points of view.

Next up - How to Be Black by Baratunde R. Thurston - After reading two apocalyptic books in a row, I'm ready for something a little lighter (pun intended).
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #1724
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just finished Joyland by Stephen King.

I really enjoyed this book. It is "Hard Crime Series" book produced by a smaller publisher. It is a bit different from his usual stuff. It is really about a murder. Has a small amout of supernatural thrown in, but not much.

It was a quick, enjoyable read.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #1725
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

#30 down. Just finished my annual reading of Pat Conroy's Beach Music. It is my absolute all-time favorite book ever! I usually read fairly quickly, but this book I slow down and take my time and just enjoy. It's not a particularly easy read, but well worth the effort.

I don't know what's up next. Hard to find something to follow up to that one!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: