Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #1696
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Happy Reading to all. I'll be away for a week at WDW & will catch you when I get back!

Book Challenge Goal 62/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #1697
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Happy Reading to all. I'll be away for a week at WDW & will catch you when I get back!
Have a great time at WDW!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #1698
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
NOBODY CARES!!!!!!!!

J/K.... I've just had a rough week and am a little bitter and jealous. yes... I suppose you should have fun.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #1699
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Have fun!!!! (and I don't like you, by the way )

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger

Currently reading: #30 One Plus One and #31 Double Whammy

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #1700
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Enjoy safe and magical travels!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #1701
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #35- The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers

This book deals with adoption from three different perspectives. That of the birth mother (Tia), the adoptive parents of Tia's child, and the husband (father of child) and wife where the husband had an affair. The whole story is about the mess a cheating husband caused & how everyone involved handles it. I felt most for the wife of the cheating husband who had to deal with all this. This is a quick, easy read.

Five years ago, Tia fell into obsessive love with a man she could never have. Married, and the father of two boys, Nathan was unavailable in every way. When she became pregnant, he disappeared, and she gave up her baby for adoption.
Five years ago, Caroline, a dedicated pathologist, reluctantly adopted a baby to please her husband. She prayed her misgivings would disappear; instead, she’s questioning whether she’s cut out for the role of wife and mother.
Five years ago, Juliette considered her life ideal: she had a solid marriage, two beautiful young sons, and a thriving business. Then she discovered Nathan’s affair. He promised he’d never stray again, and she trusted him.
But when Juliette intercepts a letter to her husband from Tia that contains pictures of a child with a deep resemblance to her husband, her world crumbles once more.
Riveting and arresting, The Comfort of Lies explores the collateral damage of infidelity and the dark, private struggles many of us experience but rarely reveal.

Next book: Claude & Camille (a book about Claude Monet) this is for my book club

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 62 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #1702
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Totally jealous!! Have a great trip!

I'm into my light summer reads lately and just started another potential good one today. Still impatiently waiting for the other Gillian Flynn novels to hit the top of the hold list. I hope at least one shows up during my beach week.

#26 - On Ice - another Kindle book I picked up somewhere. Pretty good, entertaining and good suspense. A woman leaves her abusive husband and flees to AK. Her sister is in town and gets harassed by the ex. A little too unbelievable in parts but overall, a good summer read.

#27-The Kitchen Shrink - another Kindle freebie I think. A divorced woman agrees to go on a reality show where they spend 6 weeks making over her kitchen while "fixing" her personal issues the same time. LOL funny in parts and another good summer read.

#28 - Wedding Night - Sophie Kinsella - yeah, I know she gets mixed reviews here but this was sooo funny! DD19 told me I was one of "those" people because I kept interrupting her show by laughing at this book. Really enjoyed this.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #1703
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book #41 - "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton

A small girl is found left alone on a ship that has sailed from England to Australia. The kind dockmaster takes her home, after realizing that no one is coming to claim her. He and his wife take the little girl as their own, and raise her along with their own children. At his death, he leaves a confession for Nell to find. This sends her (and others) on a quest to unravel the mystery of her origins.

I LOVED this book!!! It was thrilling to read! At first I wasn't sure I would enjoy the disjointed way it was written (jumping from 1907 to 1975 to 2005 and back), but in the end, it was amazingly done! I can't recommend this book enough!

Not sure what's up next. I'm waiting for a few books to come up at the library, and so I'm kind of "bookless" for a while. I'm sure I'll find something, though. I'll update when I know.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #1704
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just completed #17/24: Flora by Gail Godwin

I wasn't overly looking forward to this book, but I ended up really liking it. It kind of reminded me of The Dinner (which I didn't overly care for) in which the narrator tells a story and, at first, they seem to be the sane one but as the story unravels, that all changes.

Quote:
Ten-year-old Helen and her summer guardian, Flora, are isolated together in Helen's decaying family house while her father is doing secret war work in Oak Ridge during the final months of World War II.At three Helen lost her mother and the beloved grandmother who raised her has just died.A fiercely imaginative child, Helen is desperate to keep her house intact with all its ghosts and stories.Flora, her late mother's twenty-two-year old first cousin, who cries at the drop of a hat, is ardently determined to do her best for Helen.Their relationship and its fallout, played against a backdrop of a lost America will haunt Helen for the rest of her life.

This darkly beautiful novel about a child and a caretaker in isolation evokes shades of The Turn of the Screw and also harks back to Godwin's memorable novel of growing up, The Finishing School. With its house on top of a mountain and a child who may be a bomb that will one day go off, Flora tells a story of love, regret, and the things we can't undo.It will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
I think it's on to the very first of the Game of Thrones books for me.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #1705
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#50-53 down and done, all Jane Austen follow-ups featuring Jane Fairfax Churchill, one of the secondary characters in Emma, by Sarah Waldock.

#50 - Death of a Fop. With the help of Bow Street Runner Caleb Armitage, Jane solves the mystery of the death of her husband Frank Churchill.

#51 - Jane and the Scandal at Bow Street. Jane investigates corruption in the highest levels of Bow Street and nurtures her relationship with Caleb Armitage.

#52 - Jane and the Yorkshire Murder. Jane helps solve the murder of Joseph Redmayne, whose unusually-worded last will and testament leave each of the heirs open to being suspected of the foul deed.

#53 - Jane and the Imperfect Wedding. Jane Fairfax Churchill and Caleb Armitage are finally able to marry, but their honeymoon is stopped before it even starts when a man, half-beaten to death, collapses at the foot of their get-away carriage, begging for sanctuary. Jane and Caleb must, of course, investigate.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #1706
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Totally jealous!! Have a great trip!

I'm into my light summer reads lately and just started another potential good one today. Still impatiently waiting for the other Gillian Flynn novels to hit the top of the hold list. I hope at least one shows up during my beach week.

#26 - On Ice - another Kindle book I picked up somewhere. Pretty good, entertaining and good suspense. A woman leaves her abusive husband and flees to AK. Her sister is in town and gets harassed by the ex. A little too unbelievable in parts but overall, a good summer read.

#27-The Kitchen Shrink - another Kindle freebie I think. A divorced woman agrees to go on a reality show where they spend 6 weeks making over her kitchen while "fixing" her personal issues the same time. LOL funny in parts and another good summer read.

#28 - Wedding Night - Sophie Kinsella - yeah, I know she gets mixed reviews here but this was sooo funny! DD19 told me I was one of "those" people because I kept interrupting her show by laughing at this book. Really enjoyed this.
I'm well into my summer reads as well! Nothing like a light read for poolside or beach!

I'm currently in the middle of Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella. I'm with you on this one - I find the author's writing style very humorous. Love her books and REALLY enjoying this one so far!!!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger

Currently reading: #30 One Plus One and #31 Double Whammy

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #1707
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

31/50 - Fearless: The Undaunted Courage and Ultimate Sacrifice of Navy SEAL Team SIX Operator Adam Brown by Eric Blehm

Hands down, one of the best biographies I've ever read ... maybe THE best. There's really not much more to say.

5/5 stars

I downloaded a book about Marilyn Monroe to read next, but I'm a couple of chapters in and it's boring me to tears, so I may give up on it and see what else the library has to offer.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #1708
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #9 - Under the Dome by Stephen King - That was a pretty long book. It seems like it's been forever since I posted an update here. Anyway, I loved it. It was disturbing at times. I felt the language was more crude than the story required. In spite of that, I was entertained from cover to cover. I even liked the ending. It wasn't incredibly philosophical but it was appropriate considering the story. It's a disaster story. It's "The Towering Inferno" spread out horizontally. You read it because it's a thrill ride, not to become a more enlightened human being.

Next up - World War Z by Max Brooks - More mayhem and destruction! This should be a pretty quick read. I want to finish this one before the movie comes out and I need to get my reading goal back on track.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #1709
bananasplitkids
Mouseketeer

I've been following this thread and I just finished the Maze Runner. Such a great book but makes me so sad with how it ended.
bananasplitkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #1710
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I have no idea how they turned World War Z into a movie. That book jumped all over the place in terms of perspective and there was no real main character or story.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: