Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #1681
low-key
DIS Veteran

I said I would read nine books, I already read 7 (on scale 1-10)

Roots -10
Suspect - 6
Shutter Island -10
Heart-Shaped Box -7
Six Years -9
Defending Jacob -10
Olive Kitteridge- 5

Im going to go on an exhaustive book hunt this weekend
Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #1682
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post

Roots -10
Suspect - 6
Shutter Island -10
Heart-Shaped Box -7
Six Years -9
Defending Jacob -10
Olive Kitteridge- 5

Your ratings are pretty on par with what I would give those same books. I'll have to pay attention to what you read for here on out!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #1683
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#69 Rosings by Karen Aminadra-Pride & Prejudice sequel

#70 What You Wish For by Catherine Winchester-fan fic of Gaskell's North & South

Not sure what next-have lots of options on my kindle.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #1684
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#49 down and done.

Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook by Emily Brightwell. When Inspector Witherspoon's cook is called to the sickbed of her elderly aunt, Mrs. Jeffries and the rest of the staff must not only pick up her share of helping the Inspector solve a particularly knotty case, but they must also take over meal preparation for the Inspector, themselves, and the various friends and neighbors who all work together to ensure that Inspector Witherspoon's reputation as the most clever detective at Scotland Yard remains intact.

These are cute little stories, murders to be sure, but not a lot of blood and guts. It's fun to see how each member of the staff puts to good use his or her particular talent in aid of the Inspector.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #1685
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Just finished War Brides by Helen Bryan.

Abbreviated from Goodreads:
With war threatening to spread from Europe to England, the sleepy village of Crowmarsh Priors settles into a new sort of normal: Evacuees from London are billeted in local homes. Nightly air raids become grimly mundane. The tightening vice of rationing curtails every comfort. Men leave to fight and die. And five women forge an unlikely bond of friendship that will change their lives forever.

I gave it 3/5. It was a little too romance-y for me.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 10/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #1686
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 21

This review is from: Invasion of the Boy Snatchers (The Clique, No. 4) (Paperback)
The Invasion of the Boy Snatchers, was the BEST clique book EVER! This novel was more about guys than the other three novels in the series since the relationships between the girls of OCD and the boys of Briarwood (finally!) begin to evolve. But Invasion of the Boy Snatchers still has Massie's witty joke/questions, the Clique's glamorous clothes and the usual drama that follows the Clique like a lost puupy.

Alicia's super hot cousin, Nina, comes to Westchester from Spain. Nina is competition for Massie as she has more experience with boys and Kristen (who now looks like a boy thanks to a horrid haircut) and Dylan easily fall into her clutches. Meanwhile, Kristen and Dylan aren't the only people Nina seems to have spellbound. Nina managed to get the attention of Derrington, Cam and Josh and prevent them from talking to Massie, Claire and Alicia. Massie, Claire (who can't stop talking about wanting to kiss Cam) and Alicia finally decide they have to do something and unleash their cattiness at the Valentine's Love Struck Dance.

The end of the novel was part expected and part unexpected. It really made me want to read the next novel because I'm dying to find out what happens next. Will Claire finally get that kiss from Cam? Will something happen between Massie and Derrington? Guess I'll just have to read the next novel :D
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #1687
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book #39 - "Bliss" by Kathryn Littlewood

11 year old Rose Bliss and her family own a bakery in the town of Calamity Falls. Rose knows that there is more than just regular baking going on, though. Her family are magical bakers. When her mother and father are called out of town, it is up to Rose and her siblings to keep the magical bakery recipes out of the hands of Aunt Lily, an unscrupulous woman who wants the recipes for her own personal gain.

I enjoyed this book a lot! There were a lot of fun things that happened because of magical mistakes. It was an entertaining read. I will read the next in the series!

Book #40 - "A Cottage By the Sea" by Ciji Ware

Blythe Barton has gone through a horrible divorce and retreats to Cornwall, England to lick her wounds and find a branch of her family. Little does she know that she will also find the way to restore her own peace of mind.

This was a great summer read. Very easy. It is what I would classify a "beach read." The characters were pretty one dimensional, but the story was cute enough to keep me interested.

Next up - finishing "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. I started this before our trip to Disneyland last week. I didn't want to pack such a large book, as I only take my nook traveling, so I'm determined to pick it up and finish it before book club this Thursday!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #1688
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I really liked it. I would give it a 4.5. Held my interest the whole way through and I was happy with the ending.

If you enjoyed Stephen King books from the 80s with the creepy supernatural characters, I think you'll enjoy this one.

I've lost count as to what book I'm on.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #1689
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post

Roots -10
Suspect - 6
Shutter Island -10
Heart-Shaped Box -7
Six Years -9
Defending Jacob -10
Olive Kitteridge- 5

I remember you saying earlier in the thread you were reading Defending Jacob - you liked it too, huh?

Why only a 7 on Heart-Shaped Box? I'm way back on the waitlist for that, so I want to know if it's worth waiting that long to read.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #1690
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Your ratings are pretty on par with what I would give those same books. I'll have to pay attention to what you read for here on out!
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post

Why only a 7 on Heart-Shaped Box? I'm way back on the waitlist for that, so I want to know if it's worth waiting that long to read.

book was good, a 7 is a high number, its just when a book is about ghost, not really my cup of tea, but you might love every bit of it
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #1691
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I finished Under the Dome yesterday. I loved all of the book except for the ending. I can't wait for the mini series.

I am still listening to We need to talk about Kevin and have started reading Inferno.

I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1692
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy View Post
Book #12 was The Book Thief. Loved it! I finished the last pages outside, and my DS 8 made me go inside because I was crying so hard. I've had this book for about 5 years but never got around to reading it. My oldest has to read it this summer, so I thought I might as well, too.
My favorite book EVER!!

I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #1693
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I finished Under the Dome yesterday. I loved all of the book except for the ending. I can't wait for the mini series.
I felt the same way about the ending to Under the Dome. I can hardly remember it now but I felt the book was very good all the way through but that he didn't end it well at all.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #1694
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy View Post
Book #12 was The Book Thief. Loved it! I finished the last pages outside, and my DS 8 made me go inside because I was crying so hard. I've had this book for about 5 years but never got around to reading it. My oldest has to read it this summer, so I thought I might as well, too.
My son has to read this for Honors 9th grade English over the summer too... so I figure I will read it as well. I've had it on my Kindle and have wanted to read it for awhile. So many people have said it is their favorite book...
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1695
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I will be interested on how you all like The Book Theif. We read it for book club last fall, and people either loved it, or couldn't get into it. I admit that I still haven't finished it. It just didn't keep my interest, and trying to read it with a preschooler running around made it impossible for me. It is on my "to finish someday" list.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: