Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #1666
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Haha...yeah. Don't forget to credit one book for you.

Well, I may as well go all the way and change my goal to 52.

Right now I am reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.
Updated you!

Think of all the additional books you'll now push yourself towards! HAPPY READING!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #1667
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

57. Progressive Dinner Deadly by Elizabeth Spann Craig
this was a free Kindle book. Myrtle Clover is an octogenarian whose son os the sheriff of a small North Carolina town. Myrtle helps solve murders much to her son's chagrin. The novels are funny and predictable but I liked this one. There were a lot of murders in this case though, a little unrealistic for this small town.

58. The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner
The 3rd installment of the DD Warren series. In this one young mother disappears. Her husband who seems to be holding something back becomes the primary suspect but there are other possibilities. Warren and crew navigate the twists and turns of the case.

59. Caught by Harlan Coben
From Goodreads: 17-year-old Haley McWaid is a good girl, the pride of her suburban New Jersey family, captain of the lacrosse team, headed off to college next year with all the hopes and dreams her doting parents can pin on her. Which is why, when her mother wakes one morning to find that Haley never came home the night before, and three months quickly pass without word from the girl, the community assumes the worst.

The story has a bunch of tangents to follow which come together at the end but it is distracting to follow at first. It was good though.

60. Alex Ko: From Iowa to Broadway by Alex Ko
This tells the story of the author who has a gift for dance and eventually ends up playing Billy Elliot on Broadway. The book is quick and written in his own young voice. It is gripping though as it delves into his family life events that shape him. Very good.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #1668
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#40 The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

One day, while Talmadge is in town selling his fruit, he dozes off at his stand. Two pregnant girls rob him of his cash; they're hungry and savage-like, described as feral.
The girls - Jane and Della - follow Talmadge to his orchard and out of kindness and generosity he begins to feed and shelter them. The story continues thru many years before the ending.
This is one of those books that make me think "this would be a good made for tv movie" for the Hallmark channel, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #1669
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I read this one. I enjoyed it enough. Not one of my favorites, but a decent story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#40 The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

One day, while Talmadge is in town selling his fruit, he dozes off at his stand. Two pregnant girls rob him of his cash; they're hungry and savage-like, described as feral.
The girls - Jane and Della - follow Talmadge to his orchard and out of kindness and generosity he begins to feed and shelter them. The story continues thru many years before the ending.
This is one of those books that make me think "this would be a good made for tv movie" for the Hallmark channel, lol.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #1670
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I read this one. I enjoyed it enough. Not one of my favorites, but a decent story.
I know. Not a book I would want to read more than once. Kinda long and drawn out at times but just not enough 'excitement' for me.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #1671
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
I know. Not a book I would want to read more than once. Kinda long and drawn out at times but just not enough 'excitement' for me.
Yeah, it seemed like there was a lot of sitting around and watching the fruit grow kind of thing going on!

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1672
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal:25 Completed:13

Zoo
James Patterson

"World

All over the world, brutal attacks are crippling entire cities. Jackson Oz, a young biologist, watches the escalating events with an increasing sense of dread. When he witnesses a coordinated lion ambush in Africa, the enormity of the violence to come becomes terrifyingly clear.

Destruction

With the help of ecologist Chloe Tousignant, Oz races to warn world leaders before it's too late. The attacks are growing in ferocity, cunning, and planning, and soon there will be no place left for humans to hide."

I enjoyed this book a lot! It's my first from this author.

It was a unique take on the apocalypse, similar to the zombie ones.

My favorite parts were the freakish animal attacks and the chapters from Attila's perspective.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #1673
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

30/50 - 11/22/63 by Stephen King

It took me a while to read this, but I have to say it's one of my favorite Stephen King books ever! It ranks right up there with Bag of Bones and The Stand. Great characters, wonderful plot, held my interest all the way through. AND I loved the ending.

5/5 stars

I don't know what I'll be reading next. I have to check the library list and see if anything good has come through yet.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #1674
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post

It took me a while to read this, but I have to say it's one of my favorite Stephen King books ever! It ranks right up there with Bag of Bones and The Stand. Great characters, wonderful plot, held my interest all the way through. AND I loved the ending.

5/5 stars

I don't know what I'll be reading next. I have to check the library list and see if anything good has come through yet.
I really enjoyed this book also. Kind of surprised me because the more recent Stephen Kings disappointed me. He is a great storyteller but I hated how in ended Cell and Under the Dome. I felt he got it right with 11/22/63.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #1675
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #46 Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Review: With summer here I was reminded of some reading I did as a kid and Tom Sawyer was always on the list.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #1676
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post

5/5 stars

Check and see if your library has Heart shaped Box. It's written by Joe Hill, who is Stephan Kings son. His style is very similar to SK's earlier works. I'm reading another one by him now called NOS4R2.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #1677
Christine

Quote:
Check and see if your library has Heart shaped Box. It's written by Joe Hill, who is Stephan Kings son. His style is very similar to SK's earlier works. I'm reading another one by him now called NOS4R2.
phorsenuf:

Have you noticed/noted that Joe Hill's books are a tad bit more graphic than his father's? I first noticed it on Heart Shaped Box. I thought it was more graphic (sexually) than Stephen King ever got. I am in the middle of NOS4RA2 and I am finding this one to be VERY much like Stephen King's It, Pet Semetery days; however, I find Hill's violence to be a bit more graphic. Certainly King's could be at time but he somehow managed to leave more of that to the reader's imagination. I don't mind the difference at all; however, I was just wondering if you had noticed that.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #1678
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
phorsenuf:

Have you noticed/noted that Joe Hill's books are a tad bit more graphic than his father's? I first noticed it on Heart Shaped Box. I thought it was more graphic (sexually) than Stephen King ever got. I am in the middle of NOS4RA2 and I am finding this one to be VERY much like Stephen King's It, Pet Semetery days; however, I find Hill's violence to be a bit more graphic. Certainly King's could be at time but he somehow managed to leave more of that to the reader's imagination. I don't mind the difference at all; however, I was just wondering if you had noticed that.
No, I didn't really notice. I now some of SK's books got a little too graphic for me at one point. Rose Madder comes to mind. Did you read that?
I'm really enjoying NOS4A2. It is very much like the books you mentioned. I'm only about 1/4 - 1/3 way through it.
Another one I thought was good by SK was The Long Walk. The subject is a bit unsettling but it was a good read all in all.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1679
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation, phorsenuf. I'm actually already wait-listed for Heart-Shaped Box, but I'm 56th in line, so I'll be waiting a while! I figured if I was that far back on the list, it must be good.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #1680
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Book #12 was The Book Thief. Loved it! I finished the last pages outside, and my DS 8 made me go inside because I was crying so hard. I've had this book for about 5 years but never got around to reading it. My oldest has to read it this summer, so I thought I might as well, too.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: