Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #1651
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Try to pick up BEFORE I FALL by the same author, too. It's like a cross between Mean Girls and Groundhog Day. I know a lot of people were disappointed by the last book in the DELIRIUM series, so I'd love to hear what you think!
I just started Before I Fall - thanks for mentioning it here.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #1652
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 36 of 100 - Savor the Moment (Book 3 Bride Quartet) by Nora Roberts

Summary from Goodreads:
#1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts cordially invites you to meet childhood friends Parker, Emma, Laurel, and Mac — the founders of Vows, one of Connecticut’s premier wedding planning companies. Laurel McBane has always relied on her friends for support, especially when her dream of attending culinary school was almost ruined by her parents’ financial problems. Now Laurel is repaying the kindness of her friends by creating extravagantly luscious tiers of cakes and other confectionary delights that add the perfect touch to their clients’ weddings. As for romance, Laurel believes in it — in theory. But she’s too low-key to appreciate all the luxuries that other women seem to long for. What she does appreciate is a strong, intelligent man, a man just like Parker’s older brother, Delaney Brown, on whom Laurel has had a mega crush since childhood. But some infatuations last longer than others, and Laurel is convinced that the Ivy League lawyer is still out of her reach. Plus, Del is too protective of Laurel to ever cross the line with her, or so she thinks. When Laurel’s quick- silver moods get the better of her — leading to an angry, hot, altogether mind-blowing kiss with Del — she’ll have to quiet the doubts in her mind to turn a moment of passion into forever…

Just needed an old friend to read while I had a head ache. This fit the bill.

Am currently reading the last of the Quartet, and also started the complete works of Sherlock Holmes. Actually having a hard time getting into the Sherlock book, but I think it may be this dang cold I have, that combined with the 4 yr old constantly interrupting me!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #1653
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I picked up Defending Jacob and Miss Peregrine tonight. I can't decide which to read first!
And what did you decide???

I forget what grade you teach, but Miss Peregrine might be a fun read-aloud to your class depending on their age.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #1654
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Since school ended a week ago, I've read three books! Two of them were children's novels, though.

#9 - Princess Academy - Shannon Hale - My fifth grader has read this 4 times, so I thought I would read it. If you have a fourth/fifth grade daughter, I'm sure they would love it. The village girls have to go to a princess academy because there is a prophecy one of them will be queen.

#10 - Secrets to the Grave - Tami Hoag - This was a mystery/thriller. I got it for $5 at Meijer. It was a quick read. I enjoyed it.

#11 - Mockingbird - Kathryn Erskine - I loved this book. My just finished fifth grade DD got it at the library and read it in one day, loved it, and told me I should read it. It is told from the viewpoint of a fifth grade girl who has Aspergers. She has just lost her brother in a school shooting. The school shooting is obviously mentioned but not to the degree that it was too scary or traumatizing for most fifth graders. I liked the book because it gave you an insight into what autistic children are thinking/ feeling. There was a part about other fifth grade girls not being kind to her which I thought should be required reading for all preteen girls!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #1655
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 20
Revenge of the wannabes
Book Description
Publication Date: August 1, 2008
Weeks before Christmas. Alicia and Olivia are on their way to Manhattan so the Teen People editors can do a story on them about winning the Octavian Country Day uniform design contest. When Massie finally processes that the girls who hijacked her victory are also modeling for Teen People, she is livid. It should have been her. 'Ehmagod, what will everyone think when they find out it wasn't me who was asked to model? I will be SO over.' Massie decides it's time to get revenge. This snake can not lay idle in the weeds for one more second. Kristen and Dylan throw out terrible 'revenge' suggestions and Massie vetoes them all. She will think of something! But first she has to go home and exfoliate. The social minefields of Westchester County's most privileged middle school girls drive the page-turning action of this addictive series, set in New York City's most elite suburban county. The Clique . . . the only thing harder than getting in is staying in.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #1656
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just completed Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende. I would give this close to 4 stars. The story kept me interested and there was a lot of interesting background information in Chile and a small island that is part of Chile. Made me want to go there! This book gets a 4 star rating from both Amazon and Goodreads.

Quote:
This contemporary coming-of-age story centers upon Maya Vidal, a remarkable teenager abandoned by her parents. Maya grew up in a rambling old house in Berkeley with her grandmother Nini, whose formidable strength helped her build a new life after emigrating from Chile in 1973 with a young son, and her grandfather Popo, a gentle African-American astronomer.

When Popo dies, Maya goes off the rails. Along with a circle of girlfriends known as "the vampires," she turns to drugs, alcohol, and petty crime--a downward spiral that eventually leads to Las Vegas and a dangerous underworld, with Maya caught between warring forces: a gang of assassins, the police, the FBI, and Interpol.

Her one chance for survival is Nini, who helps her escape to a remote island off the coast of Chile. In the care of her grandmothers old friend, Manuel Arias, and surrounded by strange new acquaintances, Maya begins to record her story in her notebook, as she tries to make sense of her past and unravel the mysteries of her family and her own life.
I am now reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (son of Stephen King). This one is definitely Stephen King-like and is starting out as a page-turner.

Oh, for all you Stephen King fans out there, he has a new book out: Joyland. Got a pretty good review in The Washington Post over the weekend. I put it on hold at my library. I'm number 52.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #1657
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Book 46 Sugar Rush by Donna Kauffman
I felt like a light, fun read - i gave this 3 stars - I never seem to adore a romance but it was cute - read in a day, beach book. I gravitate towards these type of books if I'm stressed out or just need a break from reality.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1658
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Ok, so my goal for the year was 26. Just finished my 26th book last night! I'm a reading machine I guess. I haven't updated in a looong time, so hang on and here goes! Oh, and if you read this whole thing I think it should count as a book towards your goal.

The Unit It was ok. Nothing to really write home about.
-
One day in early spring, Dorrit Weger is checked into the Second Reserve Bank Unit for biological material. She is promised a nicely furnished apartment inside the Unit, where she will make new friends, enjoy the state of the art recreation facilities, and live the few remaining days of her life in comfort with people who are just like her. Here, women over the age of fifty and men over sixty–single, childless, and without jobs in progressive industries–are sequestered for their final few years; they are considered outsiders. In the Unit they are expected to contribute themselves for drug and psychological testing, and ultimately donate their organs, little by little, until the final donation. Despite the ruthless nature of this practice, the ethos of this near-future society and the Unit is to take care of others, and Dorrit finds herself living under very pleasant conditions: well-housed, well-fed, and well-attended. She is resigned to her fate and discovers her days there to be rather consoling and peaceful. But when she meets a man inside the Unit and falls in love, the extraordinary becomes a reality and life suddenly turns unbearable. Dorrit is faced with compliance or escape, and…well, then what?

THE UNIT is a gripping exploration of a society in the throes of an experiment, in which the “dispensable” ones are convinced under gentle coercion of the importance of sacrificing for the “necessary” ones. Ninni Holmqvist has created a debut novel of humor, sorrow, and rage about love, the close bonds of friendship, and about a cynical, utilitarian way of thinking disguised as care.

Catching the Westbound
Interesting book. I enjoyed it.
- He came into this world with two distinctive qualities—an extraordinary vision and an indomitable spirit, but at the age of ten years old, R.J. Watkins was banished from his small Appalachian community after being unjustly accused of igniting a mining accident. With a little help from fellow riders of the rails, R.J. learned how to survive on his own, but eventually his train came to rest with the Benton and Walters Best Show in America, where R.J. cultivated his unusual talents.

At seventeen, R.J. answered another whistle call of destiny, and he met the powerful McClennan family. Like a dazzling display of fireworks to their fourth of July picnic, R.J. provided the perfect blend of flavor for their family that had long since grew stale. But when he had hard time adjusting to the lavish extremes of the East Coast high society, R.J. learned to navigate their foreign world by completely transforming himself. A metamorphosis so complete that within a few short years he was the talk of the town, a man he barely recognized. Still all the talk was for naught because with the closing bell on a single autumn day in 1929, the McClennan fortune, which took generations to amass, was gone.

The List If you are into gross books, this one you would like. Pretty graphic for me and usually that doesn't bother me.
- A billionaire Senator with money to burn...
A thirty year old science experiment, about to be revealed...
Seven people, marked for death, not for what they know, but for what they are...

The Storm Glass A good fluff book.
- Like a thunderhead heedlessly bearing down—The Storm Glass builds in fearsome intensity, drawing the good, the truly evil, and the innocent together when a despicable crime rocks the small city of Hannibal. Wilson is powerless to stop the heart rending violence and brutality. Getting revenge is an entirely different matter.

Jim Wilson, a fiftyish ‘regular’ guy, is anything but. For a decade he has used an extraordinary antique ring, a trinket found in an antique store, to feed the kitty, as he likes to put it. Using the invisibility and ability to levitate that the ring magically allows…Wilson is, arguably, the world’s greatest sneak thief; a phantom with a sense of humor and a taste for dopers’ dollars.

On a well-deserved vacation, a cruise the length of the Mississippi on his boat, the Thief of Hearts, Jim and Iris encounter a sprightly retired admiral, Hans, and his charming wife, Millie, who are heading downstream to their home in Hannibal, Missouri.

None of them are aware of the convoluted plot to utterly destroy a local bank, a crime involving millions of dollars and cold blooded murder. None of them suspect the portly local banker of the depravity and homicide he’s capable of, aided by a hardened thief and killer just out of prison and lusting for the biggest score of his life.
No, Jim’s biggest worries are that Iris wants him to retire from the business and he fears that Hans, who is actually ex-CIA, may know more about the ring than Jim likes.

But after heart-rending tragedy befalls during the robbery, Jim and Hans mount their own investigation heedless of the threats by the inept local Sheriff and the confused FBI agent in charge of the case.

They don’t have to follow the rules and they aren’t trying to put the bad guys in jail…they’re after payback…call it justice or retribution—or the cold-blooded quest for revenge that it actually is.

They’re bringing the bad guys down and they’re not afraid to use Jim’s ring to make that happen.

Rivals
Didn't like this book at all. Kinda dumb.
- What does it take to turn a brother against his sister?

Brent, Maggie and their father used to take hikes in the desert. It used to be fun. Until the day they found something... unearthly... and it changed them all forever. The thing that killed their father turned Brent and Maggie into something more than they had been. It made them stronger and faster. It made them superheroes... and celebrities.

It made them rivals. Archenemies.

The thing in the desert tore their world apart. And now nobody is safe...

Jimmy
Not a bad book. Good for a freebie.
- High school can be a difficult time in a young person’s life, especially toward the end where one has to start making the sudden transition into adulthood. For Jimmy Hawthorn it is even worse. Not only does he need to successfully make that transition, he has to do it while hiding the fact that he is the one responsible for the disappearances of two fellow high school girls, both of whom are prisoners in a secret underground fallout shelter he discovered behind an abandoned house on the outskirts of town.

Trade Secrets I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was way better then I thought it would be. Worth a read.
- Trade Secrets is a fast- paced thriller-a story of financial greed that has never been told. It takes the reader on the trading floor of the world’s largest Exchange where money is pocketed before a trade is processed. When Remy Masterman becomes a member of the Exchange to unearth the details surrounding her father’s car crash, she comes head to head with Zach Silverman, once her father’s partner and now Chairman of the Exchange. During the crash of 1987 when Zach’s bagman, Jason, faces bankruptcy, his high-heeled wife, Sarna, learns to trade to save their mansion from foreclosure. As the lives of these two women intersect, Remy falls in love with Ken Baldwin, never imagining how their careers will collide, and Sarna begins a steamy affair with a trader who turns out to be an undercover agent for the FBI during its probe into trading infractions at the Chicago Exchanges. When Jason’s clerk is pummeled, along with those investors who misplaced their money with their faith, he and Sarna create a bold, sexy scheme to save Remy and rid the Exchange of those who try to get away with murder. The author, a CPA, was a member of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange for twenty-two years.

As I Close My Eyes I really enjoyed this book and the sequel that is listed below.

- You know you are alive, but what if you are dead?

Danielle Grayson is a beautiful, intelligent young woman in present-day Georgia, but when she closes her eyes, she becomes someone else in a different time, one hundred years earlier in fact.

Danielle's other life is as entrancing and romantic as her current one, and the contrast between the lifestyles is intriguing and enlightening, but what starts out as being dreamlike soon becomes real and strangely familiar.

Worse, whatever happens to her as Danielle seems to change the past, if it is a true past.

And when she finds she is not alone in being able to flip between the two worlds, life, love and death become really disturbing.

As I Wake

- If we are fated to the same destiny through every life, can we change it?

Readers entranced by ‘As I Close My Eyes’ will once again be thrust into the enchanting life of Danielle Grayson in ‘As I Wake’, the second book in the ‘Breaking Fate’ series.

A secret of Dani’s past is revealed and she must find the answers before it’s too late. Can she change the fate of her one true love or will he suffer the same destiny for all time?

As Dani rekindles her relationship with Ben, she finds herself torn between her present-day life in Sugar Hill, Georgia, and a new past she has yet to discover.

But something in her past makes her question the journey she has chosen. Time is running out and she is the only one who can understand the path that must be taken.

But will it be enough? Has the story of Dani and Ben been written in stone, never to be undone?

My Story (Marilyn Monroe)
A writer she was not. Very repetitive. Nothing scandalous or exciting.
- Written at the height of her fame but not published until over a decade after her death, this autobiography of actress and sex symbol Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962) poignantly recounts her childhood as an unwanted orphan, her early adolescence, her rise in the film industry from bit player to celebrity, and her marriage to Joe DiMaggio. In this intimate account of a very public life, she tells of her first (non-consensual) sexual experience, her romance with the Yankee Clipper, and her prescient vision of herself as "the kind of girl they found dead in the hall bedroom with an empty bottle of sleeping pills in her hand."
The Marilyn in these pages is a revelation: a gifted, intelligent, vulnerable woman who was far more complex than the unwitting sex siren she portrayed on screen. Lavishly illustrated with photos of Marilyn, this special book celebrates the life and career of an American icon—-from the unique perspective of the icon herself.

Yellow Star
I read many books about the Holocaust. It seems weird to say I enjoy reading about it, but I find it all very fascinating and I especially love to read survivors stories.
- "In 1945 the war ended. The Germans surrendered, and the ghetto was liberated. Out of over a quarter of a million people, about 800 walked out of the ghetto. Of those who survived, only twelve were children. I was one of the twelve." For more than fifty years after the war, Syvia, like many Holocaust survivors, did not talk about her experiences in the Lodz ghetto in Poland. She buried her past in order to move forward. But finally she decided it was time to share her story, and so she told it to her niece, who has re-told it here using free verse inspired by her aunt.This is the true story of Syvia Perlmutter — a story of courage, heartbreak, and finally survival despite the terrible circumstances in which she grew up. A timeline, historical notes, and an author's note are included.

Wading Home I remember hearing about this book in the past so I finally broke down and bought it when it was offered a reduced price. It was a good book and very interesting.
- When Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans, chef and widower Simon Fortier knows how he plans to face the storm--riding it out inside his long-time home in the city's Treme neighborhood, just as he has through so many storms before. But when the levees break and the city is torn apart, Simon disappears. His son, Julian, a celebrated jazz trumpeter, rushes home to a New Orleans he left years before to search for his father. As Julian crisscrosses the city, fearing the worst, he reconnects with Sylvia, Simon’s companion of many years; Parmenter, his father's erstwhile business partner and one of the most successful restaurateurs in New Orleans; and Velmyra, the woman Julian left behind when he moved to New York. Julian’s search for Simon deepens as he finds himself drawn into the troubled history of Silver Creek, the extravagantly beautiful piece of land where his father grew up, and closer once again to Velmyra. As he tries to come to grips with his father's likely fate, Julian slowly gains a deeper, richer understanding of his father and the city he loved so much, while unraveling the mysteries of Silver Creek.

1929 This was a really good book. The sequel has been released but I haven't read it yet.
- Jonathan Garrett has just lost everything. He and his two best friends were operating one of the top brokerages in New York City until the stock market crash of '29. With nothing but the clothes on their backs, these men must start over. Renting a shabby apartment from a business rival with his eye on tormenting Jonathan, they begin to rebuild as best they can. Their wives struggle to make the best of their situations, each coping in her own way. They begin to make friendships that promise to last a lifetime. As the jobs become fewer and danger is at their backs, the stakes get higher for these men to find a way out. Their current poverty, their respective pasts, and their own struggles all threaten to ruin them. With hope, close friends, and a lucky twist of fate, they escape the city just in time. They return to their hometown of Rockport Massachusetts to begin a new life. Living modestly, and faring better than the friends they left behind in the city, they begin to think things are taking a turn for the better. But tragedy is never far behind...

The Right Wrong Number
I like Barbara Delinsky, although I hadn't read anything by her in a long time. When I pre-ordered this (as a Freebie) I didn't realize it was a short story. It was 'eh'.
- In this 30-page short story by bestselling author Barbara Delinsky, Carly Kelly has just been presented with a life-changing business opportunity for tiny nursery and flower store, Plant People. But she only has four days to decide, which means she will most likely have to cancel her weekend trip away. She dials her friends to let them know, and excitedly launches into a speech about the opportunity. But when she pauses, a sexy, inquisitive stranger is on the other end, and he’s eager to hear about her store, her passions and her life. She’s dialed the wrong number--- and the man on the other end, with his deep voice, his charming jokes and his excellent advice, is a surprise she never expected…

Angela's Ashes
Very griping book! Didn't know it was a true story until I was done.
- "When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I managed to survive at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood."

So begins the luminous memoir of Frank McCourt, born in Depression-era Brooklyn to recent Irish immigrants and raised in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. Frank's mother, Angela, has no money to feed the children since Frank's father, Malachy, rarely works, and when he does he drinks his wages. Yet Malachy-- exasperating, irresponsible and beguiling-- does nurture in Frank an appetite for the one thing he can provide: a story. Frank lives for his father's tales of Cuchulain, who saved Ireland, and of the Angel on the Seventh Step, who brings his mother babies.

Perhaps it is story that accounts for Frank's survival. Wearing rags for diapers, begging a pig's head for Christmas dinner and gathering coal from the roadside to light a fire, Frank endures poverty, near-starvation and the casual cruelty of relatives and neighbors--yet lives to tell his tale with eloquence, exuberance and remarkable forgiveness.

Elvis Has Not Left The Building Campy book, silly premise but it was a fun read. Good fluff book.
- It's tough being the King.

Which is why in 1977 Elvis faked his own death and endured massive facial reconstruction surgery, and disappeared from the limelight to live a normal life as the unassuming Aaron King. Unfortunately, leaving fame behind also meant leaving his fortune behind, too, and now Elvis finds himself broke and living in near poverty in a small apartment in Los Angeles. Luckily for him, it turns out he's a pretty good private investigator.

Now in his seventies and contemplating a return to music (discreetly, of course), Elvis is hired to solve a baffling missing person case. The King digs deeper, and soon finds himself surrounded by the seedier elements of Los Angeles, from nefarious Hollywood producers who prey upon the young, to twin brothers with a very dark secret.

And as Elvis pieces the bizarre puzzle together, he slowly makes his singing comeback—and will be reunited on stage with someone even the King himself never dreamed possible.

Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer park Surprisingly not too bad of a book. Could have been worse. LOL
- Just a few miles outside of Albuquerque New Mexico there's something horribly wrong in a remote valley. To their eternal regret some people have mistaken the screams echoing in the hills as coyotes singing to the moon. When Josey drives his truck down into the valley he quickly learns the horrifying truth. It's not coyotes howling- it's men or what used to be men. Josey discovers that the valley is home to the depraved, the noble, the damned, the innocent, the beautiful, and of course the walking dead. When the least dangerous thing you encounter is an angry rattlesnake you know you've made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

Dying to Forget I really really liked this book a lot! It's a very interesting premise. I enjoyed the second one very much too.
- Piper Willow dies the summer after her high school graduation but she doesn’t make it to Heaven or Hell…instead she finds herself in a spiritual terminal called the Station. She’s given only two choices: Return to Earth as the subconscious for a person in need of some outside assistance, or move on and spend an eternity lost in her own sorrow and pain.

Does Piper have what it takes to save a life - to be the nagging voice inside someone else’s head - or will she fail and end up lost and tormented in limbo...forever?

Dying to Remember
- The next installment in The Station Series by Amazon Bestselling Author, Trish Marie Dawson, takes readers on another lively journey through the after-life adventures of eighteen year old Piper Willow.

Piper has new challenges to overcome, new names to learn and is faced with a new Station occupation. Did she make the right choice - choosing to stay at the Station and become a Volunteer? Does she really want answers to the questions that never leave her mind? How did the Station come to be? What lies beyond? Who is Andurush and what, exactly, does he want with Piper?

She must ask herself once again if she has what it takes…but this time it isn't about saving lives, it is about discovering what lies beyond death.

Would you want to know?

The Road Through Wonderland If you know who John Holmes is it's worth a read. Sad how his (and dawn's) life were so spun out of control.
- Painstakingly honest, this chilling memoir reveals how a teenager became immersed in the bizarre life of legendary porn star John Holmes. Starting with a childhood that molded her perfectly to fall for the seduction of “the king of porn,” this autobiography recounts the perilous road that Dawn Schiller traveled—from drugs and addiction to beatings, arrests, forced prostitution, and being sold to the drug underworld. After living through the horrific Wonderland murders of 1981, she entered protective custody, ran from the FBI, and turned in John Holmes to the police. This is the true story of a young girl’s harrowing escape from one of the most infamous public figures, her struggle to survive, and her recovery from unthinkable abuse.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #1659
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post

Ok, so my goal for the year was 26. Just finished my 26th book last night! I'm a reading machine I guess. I haven't updated in a looong time, so hang on and here goes! Oh, and if you read this whole thing I think it should count as a book towards your goal.

The Unit It was ok. Nothing to really write home about.
-
One day in early spring, Dorrit Weger is checked into the Second Reserve Bank Unit for biological material. She is promised a nicely furnished apartment inside the Unit, where she will make new friends, enjoy the state of the art recreation facilities, and live the few remaining days of her life in comfort with people who are just like her. Here, women over the age of fifty and men over sixty–single, childless, and without jobs in progressive industries–are sequestered for their final few years; they are considered outsiders. In the Unit they are expected to contribute themselves for drug and psychological testing, and ultimately donate their organs, little by little, until the final donation. Despite the ruthless nature of this practice, the ethos of this near-future society and the Unit is to take care of others, and Dorrit finds herself living under very pleasant conditions: well-housed, well-fed, and well-attended. She is resigned to her fate and discovers her days there to be rather consoling and peaceful. But when she meets a man inside the Unit and falls in love, the extraordinary becomes a reality and life suddenly turns unbearable. Dorrit is faced with compliance or escape, and…well, then what?

THE UNIT is a gripping exploration of a society in the throes of an experiment, in which the “dispensable” ones are convinced under gentle coercion of the importance of sacrificing for the “necessary” ones. Ninni Holmqvist has created a debut novel of humor, sorrow, and rage about love, the close bonds of friendship, and about a cynical, utilitarian way of thinking disguised as care.

Catching the Westbound Interesting book. I enjoyed it.
- He came into this world with two distinctive qualities—an extraordinary vision and an indomitable spirit, but at the age of ten years old, R.J. Watkins was banished from his small Appalachian community after being unjustly accused of igniting a mining accident. With a little help from fellow riders of the rails, R.J. learned how to survive on his own, but eventually his train came to rest with the Benton and Walters Best Show in America, where R.J. cultivated his unusual talents.

At seventeen, R.J. answered another whistle call of destiny, and he met the powerful McClennan family. Like a dazzling display of fireworks to their fourth of July picnic, R.J. provided the perfect blend of flavor for their family that had long since grew stale. But when he had hard time adjusting to the lavish extremes of the East Coast high society, R.J. learned to navigate their foreign world by completely transforming himself. A metamorphosis so complete that within a few short years he was the talk of the town, a man he barely recognized. Still all the talk was for naught because with the closing bell on a single autumn day in 1929, the McClennan fortune, which took generations to amass, was gone.

The List If you are into gross books, this one you would like. Pretty graphic for me and usually that doesn't bother me.
- A billionaire Senator with money to burn...
A thirty year old science experiment, about to be revealed...
Seven people, marked for death, not for what they know, but for what they are...

The Storm Glass A good fluff book.
- Like a thunderhead heedlessly bearing down—The Storm Glass builds in fearsome intensity, drawing the good, the truly evil, and the innocent together when a despicable crime rocks the small city of Hannibal. Wilson is powerless to stop the heart rending violence and brutality. Getting revenge is an entirely different matter.

Jim Wilson, a fiftyish ‘regular’ guy, is anything but. For a decade he has used an extraordinary antique ring, a trinket found in an antique store, to feed the kitty, as he likes to put it. Using the invisibility and ability to levitate that the ring magically allows…Wilson is, arguably, the world’s greatest sneak thief; a phantom with a sense of humor and a taste for dopers’ dollars.

On a well-deserved vacation, a cruise the length of the Mississippi on his boat, the Thief of Hearts, Jim and Iris encounter a sprightly retired admiral, Hans, and his charming wife, Millie, who are heading downstream to their home in Hannibal, Missouri.

None of them are aware of the convoluted plot to utterly destroy a local bank, a crime involving millions of dollars and cold blooded murder. None of them suspect the portly local banker of the depravity and homicide he’s capable of, aided by a hardened thief and killer just out of prison and lusting for the biggest score of his life.
No, Jim’s biggest worries are that Iris wants him to retire from the business and he fears that Hans, who is actually ex-CIA, may know more about the ring than Jim likes.

But after heart-rending tragedy befalls during the robbery, Jim and Hans mount their own investigation heedless of the threats by the inept local Sheriff and the confused FBI agent in charge of the case.

They don’t have to follow the rules and they aren’t trying to put the bad guys in jail…they’re after payback…call it justice or retribution—or the cold-blooded quest for revenge that it actually is.

They’re bringing the bad guys down and they’re not afraid to use Jim’s ring to make that happen.

Rivals Didn't like this book at all. Kinda dumb.
- What does it take to turn a brother against his sister?

Brent, Maggie and their father used to take hikes in the desert. It used to be fun. Until the day they found something... unearthly... and it changed them all forever. The thing that killed their father turned Brent and Maggie into something more than they had been. It made them stronger and faster. It made them superheroes... and celebrities.

It made them rivals. Archenemies.

The thing in the desert tore their world apart. And now nobody is safe...

Jimmy Not a bad book. Good for a freebie.
- High school can be a difficult time in a young person’s life, especially toward the end where one has to start making the sudden transition into adulthood. For Jimmy Hawthorn it is even worse. Not only does he need to successfully make that transition, he has to do it while hiding the fact that he is the one responsible for the disappearances of two fellow high school girls, both of whom are prisoners in a secret underground fallout shelter he discovered behind an abandoned house on the outskirts of town.

Trade Secrets I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was way better then I thought it would be. Worth a read.
- Trade Secrets is a fast- paced thriller-a story of financial greed that has never been told. It takes the reader on the trading floor of the world’s largest Exchange where money is pocketed before a trade is processed. When Remy Masterman becomes a member of the Exchange to unearth the details surrounding her father’s car crash, she comes head to head with Zach Silverman, once her father’s partner and now Chairman of the Exchange. During the crash of 1987 when Zach’s bagman, Jason, faces bankruptcy, his high-heeled wife, Sarna, learns to trade to save their mansion from foreclosure. As the lives of these two women intersect, Remy falls in love with Ken Baldwin, never imagining how their careers will collide, and Sarna begins a steamy affair with a trader who turns out to be an undercover agent for the FBI during its probe into trading infractions at the Chicago Exchanges. When Jason’s clerk is pummeled, along with those investors who misplaced their money with their faith, he and Sarna create a bold, sexy scheme to save Remy and rid the Exchange of those who try to get away with murder. The author, a CPA, was a member of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange for twenty-two years.

As I Close My Eyes I really enjoyed this book and the sequel that is listed below.

- You know you are alive, but what if you are dead?

Danielle Grayson is a beautiful, intelligent young woman in present-day Georgia, but when she closes her eyes, she becomes someone else in a different time, one hundred years earlier in fact.

Danielle's other life is as entrancing and romantic as her current one, and the contrast between the lifestyles is intriguing and enlightening, but what starts out as being dreamlike soon becomes real and strangely familiar.

Worse, whatever happens to her as Danielle seems to change the past, if it is a true past.

And when she finds she is not alone in being able to flip between the two worlds, life, love and death become really disturbing.

As I Wake
- If we are fated to the same destiny through every life, can we change it?

Readers entranced by ‘As I Close My Eyes’ will once again be thrust into the enchanting life of Danielle Grayson in ‘As I Wake’, the second book in the ‘Breaking Fate’ series.

A secret of Dani’s past is revealed and she must find the answers before it’s too late. Can she change the fate of her one true love or will he suffer the same destiny for all time?

As Dani rekindles her relationship with Ben, she finds herself torn between her present-day life in Sugar Hill, Georgia, and a new past she has yet to discover.

But something in her past makes her question the journey she has chosen. Time is running out and she is the only one who can understand the path that must be taken.

But will it be enough? Has the story of Dani and Ben been written in stone, never to be undone?

My Story (Marilyn Monroe) A writer she was not. Very repetitive. Nothing scandalous or exciting.
- Written at the height of her fame but not published until over a decade after her death, this autobiography of actress and sex symbol Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962) poignantly recounts her childhood as an unwanted orphan, her early adolescence, her rise in the film industry from bit player to celebrity, and her marriage to Joe DiMaggio. In this intimate account of a very public life, she tells of her first (non-consensual) sexual experience, her romance with the Yankee Clipper, and her prescient vision of herself as "the kind of girl they found dead in the hall bedroom with an empty bottle of sleeping pills in her hand."
The Marilyn in these pages is a revelation: a gifted, intelligent, vulnerable woman who was far more complex than the unwitting sex siren she portrayed on screen. Lavishly illustrated with photos of Marilyn, this special book celebrates the life and career of an American icon—-from the unique perspective of the icon herself.

Yellow Star I read many books about the Holocaust. It seems weird to say I enjoy reading about it, but I find it all very fascinating and I especially love to read survivors stories.
- "In 1945 the war ended. The Germans surrendered, and the ghetto was liberated. Out of over a quarter of a million people, about 800 walked out of the ghetto. Of those who survived, only twelve were children. I was one of the twelve." For more than fifty years after the war, Syvia, like many Holocaust survivors, did not talk about her experiences in the Lodz ghetto in Poland. She buried her past in order to move forward. But finally she decided it was time to share her story, and so she told it to her niece, who has re-told it here using free verse inspired by her aunt.This is the true story of Syvia Perlmutter — a story of courage, heartbreak, and finally survival despite the terrible circumstances in which she grew up. A timeline, historical notes, and an author's note are included.

Wading Home I remember hearing about this book in the past so I finally broke down and bought it when it was offered a reduced price. It was a good book and very interesting.
- When Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans, chef and widower Simon Fortier knows how he plans to face the storm--riding it out inside his long-time home in the city's Treme neighborhood, just as he has through so many storms before. But when the levees break and the city is torn apart, Simon disappears. His son, Julian, a celebrated jazz trumpeter, rushes home to a New Orleans he left years before to search for his father. As Julian crisscrosses the city, fearing the worst, he reconnects with Sylvia, Simon’s companion of many years; Parmenter, his father's erstwhile business partner and one of the most successful restaurateurs in New Orleans; and Velmyra, the woman Julian left behind when he moved to New York. Julian’s search for Simon deepens as he finds himself drawn into the troubled history of Silver Creek, the extravagantly beautiful piece of land where his father grew up, and closer once again to Velmyra. As he tries to come to grips with his father's likely fate, Julian slowly gains a deeper, richer understanding of his father and the city he loved so much, while unraveling the mysteries of Silver Creek.

1929 This was a really good book. The sequel has been released but I haven't read it yet.
- Jonathan Garrett has just lost everything. He and his two best friends were operating one of the top brokerages in New York City until the stock market crash of '29. With nothing but the clothes on their backs, these men must start over. Renting a shabby apartment from a business rival with his eye on tormenting Jonathan, they begin to rebuild as best they can. Their wives struggle to make the best of their situations, each coping in her own way. They begin to make friendships that promise to last a lifetime. As the jobs become fewer and danger is at their backs, the stakes get higher for these men to find a way out. Their current poverty, their respective pasts, and their own struggles all threaten to ruin them. With hope, close friends, and a lucky twist of fate, they escape the city just in time. They return to their hometown of Rockport Massachusetts to begin a new life. Living modestly, and faring better than the friends they left behind in the city, they begin to think things are taking a turn for the better. But tragedy is never far behind...

The Right Wrong Number I like Barbara Delinsky, although I hadn't read anything by her in a long time. When I pre-ordered this (as a Freebie) I didn't realize it was a short story. It was 'eh'.
- In this 30-page short story by bestselling author Barbara Delinsky, Carly Kelly has just been presented with a life-changing business opportunity for tiny nursery and flower store, Plant People. But she only has four days to decide, which means she will most likely have to cancel her weekend trip away. She dials her friends to let them know, and excitedly launches into a speech about the opportunity. But when she pauses, a sexy, inquisitive stranger is on the other end, and he’s eager to hear about her store, her passions and her life. She’s dialed the wrong number--- and the man on the other end, with his deep voice, his charming jokes and his excellent advice, is a surprise she never expected…

Angela's Ashes Very griping book! Didn't know it was a true story until I was done.
- "When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I managed to survive at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood."

So begins the luminous memoir of Frank McCourt, born in Depression-era Brooklyn to recent Irish immigrants and raised in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. Frank's mother, Angela, has no money to feed the children since Frank's father, Malachy, rarely works, and when he does he drinks his wages. Yet Malachy-- exasperating, irresponsible and beguiling-- does nurture in Frank an appetite for the one thing he can provide: a story. Frank lives for his father's tales of Cuchulain, who saved Ireland, and of the Angel on the Seventh Step, who brings his mother babies.

Perhaps it is story that accounts for Frank's survival. Wearing rags for diapers, begging a pig's head for Christmas dinner and gathering coal from the roadside to light a fire, Frank endures poverty, near-starvation and the casual cruelty of relatives and neighbors--yet lives to tell his tale with eloquence, exuberance and remarkable forgiveness.

Elvis Has Not Left The Building Campy book, silly premise but it was a fun read. Good fluff book.
- It's tough being the King.

Which is why in 1977 Elvis faked his own death and endured massive facial reconstruction surgery, and disappeared from the limelight to live a normal life as the unassuming Aaron King. Unfortunately, leaving fame behind also meant leaving his fortune behind, too, and now Elvis finds himself broke and living in near poverty in a small apartment in Los Angeles. Luckily for him, it turns out he's a pretty good private investigator.

Now in his seventies and contemplating a return to music (discreetly, of course), Elvis is hired to solve a baffling missing person case. The King digs deeper, and soon finds himself surrounded by the seedier elements of Los Angeles, from nefarious Hollywood producers who prey upon the young, to twin brothers with a very dark secret.

And as Elvis pieces the bizarre puzzle together, he slowly makes his singing comeback—and will be reunited on stage with someone even the King himself never dreamed possible.

Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer park Surprisingly not too bad of a book. Could have been worse. LOL
- Just a few miles outside of Albuquerque New Mexico there's something horribly wrong in a remote valley. To their eternal regret some people have mistaken the screams echoing in the hills as coyotes singing to the moon. When Josey drives his truck down into the valley he quickly learns the horrifying truth. It's not coyotes howling- it's men or what used to be men. Josey discovers that the valley is home to the depraved, the noble, the damned, the innocent, the beautiful, and of course the walking dead. When the least dangerous thing you encounter is an angry rattlesnake you know you've made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

Dying to Forget I really really liked this book a lot! It's a very interesting premise. I enjoyed the second one very much too.
- Piper Willow dies the summer after her high school graduation but she doesn’t make it to Heaven or Hell…instead she finds herself in a spiritual terminal called the Station. She’s given only two choices: Return to Earth as the subconscious for a person in need of some outside assistance, or move on and spend an eternity lost in her own sorrow and pain.

Does Piper have what it takes to save a life - to be the nagging voice inside someone else’s head - or will she fail and end up lost and tormented in limbo...forever?

Dying to Remember
- The next installment in The Station Series by Amazon Bestselling Author, Trish Marie Dawson, takes readers on another lively journey through the after-life adventures of eighteen year old Piper Willow.

Piper has new challenges to overcome, new names to learn and is faced with a new Station occupation. Did she make the right choice - choosing to stay at the Station and become a Volunteer? Does she really want answers to the questions that never leave her mind? How did the Station come to be? What lies beyond? Who is Andurush and what, exactly, does he want with Piper?

She must ask herself once again if she has what it takes…but this time it isn't about saving lives, it is about discovering what lies beyond death.

Would you want to know?

The Road Through Wonderland If you know who John Holmes is it's worth a read. Sad how his (and dawn's) life were so spun out of control.
- Painstakingly honest, this chilling memoir reveals how a teenager became immersed in the bizarre life of legendary porn star John Holmes. Starting with a childhood that molded her perfectly to fall for the seduction of “the king of porn,” this autobiography recounts the perilous road that Dawn Schiller traveled—from drugs and addiction to beatings, arrests, forced prostitution, and being sold to the drug underworld. After living through the horrific Wonderland murders of 1981, she entered protective custody, ran from the FBI, and turned in John Holmes to the police. This is the true story of a young girl’s harrowing escape from one of the most infamous public figures, her struggle to survive, and her recovery from unthinkable abuse.
Good for you
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #1660
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Finally finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. Really enjoyed the book, would give it a 5/5! I usually don't like his stuff as it is too creepy, but this was more scifi/political to me, and had a touch of a moral, too. Very interested in seeing the show now!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #1661
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Holy moley, phorsenuf!!!

That was quite the review you posted! Someone needs to update her reading goal big time!

Good to see you back! Don't be a stranger next time!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #1662
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #44 I Do and I Don't:A History of Marriage in Movies by Jeanine Basinger

Review: This book goes into the history of "marriage movies" from silent films into more modern flicks. I Do and I don't is pretty well documented and shows how marriage in film, like in society has changed a bit. Of course, she visits old favorites such as the Thin Man series and the Ma and Pa Kettle flicks and addresses films where either marriage is a great thing and others where you wonder about if the couple should have tied the knot. Sometimes the book gets a little dry but a good read.

Book #45 7 Days to a Brand New Me! by Ellen Conford

Review: No I did not read a self-help book. I needed a fast and funny read after reading I do and I don't and Secret of the Bulls. This YA book is about Maggie Kemper describes herself as dull and "sparrow-like", she is pretty shy which stinks because her crush, Adam has a locker right next to hers. So, to get him to notice her she gets a book entitled 7 Days to Brand New Me to really dazzle him.

So, this book cracks me up.It reminds me of being a teenager and the awkwardness of it all. Maggie is adorable and like me (as a teen and now) reads historical romance novels. Maggie does have some pretty good lines and unlike other YA I read as a kid, she isn't super smart, pretty or have something extraordinary about her. She is just a normal girl.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1663
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book #19 Inferno by Dan Brown - I really enjoyed this one - it kept me interested and wanting me to read more!

I've just starting reading Iris Johansen's book - Taking Eve. It's the first book in her new trilogy coming out this year! It's good so far!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #1664
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #68 Merivel:A Man of His Time by Rose Tremain-a sequel to Restoration which I read a couple of weeks ago. Set in the time of Charles 11. Really enjoyed this character and time period.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #1665
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Holy moley, phorsenuf!!!

That was quite the review you posted! Someone needs to update her reading goal big time!

Good to see you back! Don't be a stranger next time!
Haha...yeah. Don't forget to credit one book for you.

Well, I may as well go all the way and change my goal to 52.

Right now I am reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: