Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #1636
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

55. Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith

This author also wrote Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which sounds absurd but was really good. So I hunted this one down. The author winds total fiction around history. This story was about the three wise men who came to the stable of Jesus's birth. It is kind of what if these guys weren't who you think they were. A very interesting alternative look at the famous story bringing in all the famous players, Mary & Joseph, Herrod, Pilate etc. I liked it although sometimes it dragged. Good ending.

56. Bad Little Falls by Paul Doiron

This is the 3rd in the Mike Bowditch series. Bowditch is a game warden in Maine and has been banished to a remote outpost because of his behavior on the job. He always gets mixed up in trouble he shouldn't mess with and while trying to help ends up hindering the process. But in the end he is the one who solves the case. I have enjoyed all the books in this series.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #1637
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I'm still reading Under the Dome and listening to We Need to Talk About Kevin. First, I am LOVING Under the Dome. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

But I'm posting about Kevin. I'm not halfway yet but I HATE Eva. Is that the author's intention? Did everyone else that read it hate her as well? She's so unlikable!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #1638
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Totally agree! Some of my favorite books have been YA and they have been very well written.

If I can ask, could we have some titles of what you have written? I would love to read a fellow DISer's work!
Thank you! I don't want to publicize my books here but I can PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I'm still reading Under the Dome and listening to We Need to Talk About Kevin. First, I am LOVING Under the Dome. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

But I'm posting about Kevin. I'm not halfway yet but I HATE Eva. Is that the author's intention? Did everyone else that read it hate her as well? She's so unlikable!
I can not remember what I thought of Eva in the book, because I read it when it first came out. But I watched the movie a few months ago and WOW. Incredible, and incredibly hard to watch. I could only feel sorry for Eva in the movie.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #1639
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post

Thank you! I don't want to publicize my books here but I can PM you.

I can not remember what I thought of Eva in the book, because I read it when it first came out. But I watched the movie a few months ago and WOW. Incredible, and incredibly hard to watch. I could only feel sorry for Eva in the movie.
Me too please? I won't tell I promise!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #1640
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Finished reading 'The Devil Has Dimples' It was a freebie on kindle, just ok. The story was choppy and the writing wasn't great. Didn't hate it though.

I've just started The Jane Austen Collection which is a bunch of her novels rolled into one. First up - Sense and Sensibility.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #1641
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

For those who have read 11/22/63 by Stephen King ... please tell me it stays good all the way to the end. I'm halfway in, and I'd hate to go all 850 pages only to have it end badly.

So far it's one of the best SK books I've read - I just don't want the end to disappoint!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #1642
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I picked up Defending Jacob and Miss Peregrine tonight. I can't decide which to read first!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #1643
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I picked up Defending Jacob and Miss Peregrine tonight. I can't decide which to read first!
Read Defending Jacob first - it is fantastic! I have to say I haven't read the other one you listed yet, but Defending Jacob is one of my favorite books so far this year.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #1644
leagirl12
DIS Veteran

Jumping in on this thread....just read Defending Jacob and it is so good!!
2009 - 1st Cruise on the Wonder
2012 - 7 night Cruise on the Fantasy
leagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #1645
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

If anyone is interested in reading Three Twigs for the Campfire, I can send a couple of Kindle gift versions.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...r-the-campfire
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1646
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I wish I had all the money n the world because reading is saving me this summer only so much cleaning need to get done August 14 can't get here soon enough
Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #1647
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year

#47 and #48 down and done.

#47 - Lavender Road by Helen Carey. This is the story of a group of women of various ages and social standing living on Lavender Road on the outskirts of London at the beginning of WWII. I love reading about this time in history, fiction or non-fiction, and this story was well done.

#48 - Vanities and Vexations by Sarah Waldock is another of my favorite genres, Jane Austen wannabes. This one takes place after Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy's marriage and follows the might-have-been stories of Georgiana Darcy, Anne de Bourgh, and Kitty Bennet.

If you're an Austen fan, check out page 76 of this thread for a list of other authors who write Jane Austen "follow-ups." This list was generously provided by portia9. Thank you!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #1648
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#66 No I Don't Need Reading Glasses by Virginia Ironside-I laughed out loud reading this book but it had some bittersweet parts as well

#67 The Space Between Us by Thrity Umriger-set in India and is the story of three women and the relationship between them. Well written and will read more of her books.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #1649
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#39 Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Second in the Delirium series. Picked up where the first book left off and did not disappoint. Can't hardly wait to get the next one but my local library didn't have it available & I don't want to put it on hold just yet as I'm going to the World next week so as soon as I get home I'll put it on hold.
Right now I'm reading a biography on Rich Mullins & also "The Ladies Reading Room"

Book Challenge Goal 80/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #1650
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I wish I had all the money n the world because reading is saving me this summer only so much cleaning need to get done August 14 can't get here soon enough
So, what's happening Aug. 14th???

Book Challenge Goal 80/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: