Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #151
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1102 View Post
A brief summary of Dying to get Published. Jennifer Marsh is a struggling writer that is tired of getting rejection letters from publishers. She hears about a woman on Oprah that writes a non-fiction book and finds almost immediate success. Jennifer decides that is what she needs to do, so she tries to plan the perfect murder and get herself caught.

I hope that this is the type of summary you all are looking for.
That sounds like my kinda book. It's now in my recommended to read shelf over at Goodreads. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #152
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

1. Falling for Her Captain by S.E. Harrisville

Rating: 4 stars

Review: good book, about a 4. Its about a police chief who falls in love with a dective. Theres an aswome crime that happens involving a boy named chaz. I found myself laughing alot because the cop is a smart mouthed, cocky woman. the ending is a bit predicatble, but theres also a nice romace and dificulty consering it. If your into police or mystery, its a good read.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #153
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #154
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I find Erik Larson's writing spellbinding! His research and attention to detail are unmatched. I loved this book. You may also enjoy two other of his non-fiction books, Devil in the White City, and Thunderstruck.

Devil is the true story of a serial killer operating in Chicago during the building of the 1893 World's Fair. In addition to the murder stories, it was fascinating to learn how the fair was put together, the social customs, and the police procedures of that era.

Thunderstruck is the story of how Gugliermo Marconi's invention of the telegraph was instrumental in apprehending Hawley Crippen, the notorious British wife-killer.

Queen Colleen
Oh my gosh the other 2 that you mentioned sound really good. I am going to have to check this author out!
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #155
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Hooray!!! I finished my first book of 2013!!!

Goal: 50 books

Book #1: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

(Is this the kind of review that is wanted here?)
I agree! Unbroken was an awesome book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I find Erik Larson's writing spellbinding! His research and attention to detail are unmatched. I loved this book. You may also enjoy two other of his non-fiction books, Devil in the White City, and Thunderstruck.

Devil is the true story of a serial killer operating in Chicago during the building of the 1893 World's Fair. In addition to the murder stories, it was fascinating to learn how the fair was put together, the social customs, and the police procedures of that era.

Thunderstruck is the story of how Gugliermo Marconi's invention of the telegraph was instrumental in apprehending Hawley Crippen, the notorious British wife-killer.

Queen Colleen
I also liked Devil in the White City and have Thunderstruck on my "to read" list.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #156
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Yay! I finished my first book for 2013 (ok, admitedly I started it in 2012).

Goal: 30 books

Book #1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling

I've promised my sons for years that I would read this series and am just starting on it now. Hoping to finish the remaining books in 2013.

This one was the best one so far. The storyline is picking up (I couldn't put it down towards the end) and the characters are well developed and keep me guessing (I can't figure out a few of them, lol).

Next up: Defending Jacob by William Landay.

Have heard great things about this book, so can't wait to start it!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

Last edited by threeboysmom; 01-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #157
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I wish I could join
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #158
threeboysmom

For those of you asking about Goodreads.

The EASIEST way to change book from your "to read" list to "currently reading" is NOT to use the edit button. I can never get that thing to work properly, as some of you are also finding out.

On the home page when you first sign in, there is a widget to the top right that says Currently Reading.

Underneath in tiny letters, it says "Add a new book." Click on this to open a search box. Type the name of the book you want to add and hit enter. This will automatically add the title of that book to your "currently reading" list AND, best of all, remove it from your "to read" list!

I also use an app on my iphone to keep track of my progress through the book. It's easy to open it whenever I'm done reading during lunch break or whenever and enter the page number I'm at.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #159
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I wish I could join
Didn't you? I remember typing your name...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #160
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom

Didn't you? I remember typing your name...
Thank you I must not have seen the updated list thank u
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #161
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Thank you I must not have seen the updated list thank u
Glad you could join us!! Happy Reading!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #162
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Please, can I join? I have more books loaded onto my Kindle that I'll ever be able to read. My goal is 40.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #163
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom

Glad you could join us!! Happy Reading!
Yes I am in thank you
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #164
SEASONK
Mouseketeer

Please add me ~ sorry I am late! My goal is 75 books. Thanks!!!!
WL ~ Dec 2010
CBR ~ Oct 2012
SEASONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #165
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
For those of you asking about Goodreads.

The EASIEST way to change book from your "to read" list to "currently reading" is NOT to use the edit button. I can never get that thing to work properly, as some of you are also finding out.

On the home page when you first sign in, there is a widget to the top right that says Currently Reading.

Underneath in tiny letters, it says "Add a new book." Click on this to open a search box. Type the name of the book you want to add and hit enter. This will automatically add the title of that book to your "currently reading" list AND, best of all, remove it from your "to read" list!

I also use an app on my iphone to keep track of my progress through the book. It's easy to open it whenever I'm done reading during lunch break or whenever and enter the page number I'm at.
Thanks! I've been using the edit button, but I'll look for the "add a new book" option.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: