Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #1621
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
After your review and threeboysmom review, now I'm not sure I want to read this anymore. I hate wasting my time on a book that's no good.
Aww, don't let us sway you! It's a very creative story, and it's only a little over 200 pages so it's not like you'd be investing a whole lot of time into it. I thought I gave it a good review - I just didn't like the ending... because it DIDN'T end, lol. But now that I know a sequel is planned, that explains it.

Just know that it's YA which is probably why the other reviewer called it amateurish. I find that's the case with every YA I read which is why I try not to read them on a regular basis.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind

Currently reading: #33 Orphan Train

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #1622
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Well, I just did something I haven't done in years-I put a book down without finishing it. I was attempting to read "The Double Culture Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith (I'm not even sure I've got the name right), but it just wasn't for me. The way they talked, thought, the names-I just couldn't gt into it.
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #1623
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Just know that it's YA which is probably why the other reviewer called it amateurish. I find that's the case with every YA I read which is why I try not to read them on a regular basis.
As a YA author, I have to take exception to that! There are a lot of bad, amateurish books out there, YA AND Adult. It is a misconception that YA books are less complicated and easier to write, and that YA authors are just looking to "graduate" to writing for adults. I get it all the time... "When are you going to start writing REAL books?" I have written for adults in the past and find it to be much more challenging (yet interesting) to get into the mindset of a young person. If they're not for you, they're not for you, but please do not insinuate that all those writing it are amateurs. YAs are certainly a lot brighter than we give them credit for, too, and I think the books available to them now show that. Plus, I've done pretty well writing my "amateurish" books.

Not meaning to start a fight, you just struck a nerve with me.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #1624
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I would say... Read it.

The story itself is worth it to me.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #1625
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I finished HP7. Still listening to We Need to Talk About Kevin (I have a very short commute so it's going to take a while) and am reading Under the Dome. I'm about 30% through. I like the short chapters, IMO, that makes for faster reading.

After Under the Dome I think I'm going to read Buried My Heart at Wounded Knee or The Light Between the Oceans or Inferno.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #1626
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I finished HP7. Still listening to We Need to Talk About Kevin (I have a very short commute so it's going to take a while) and am reading Under the Dome. I'm about 30% through. I like the short chapters, IMO, that makes for faster reading.

After Under the Dome I think I'm going to read Buried My Heart at Wounded Knee or The Light Between the Oceans or Inferno.
I'm glad you said Under the Dome has shorter chapters. I'm not a huge SK fan and that is one of the reasons why. I find his chapters long.(At least the books I've tried)

I just started Zoo by James Patterson. It's the first one by that author that I have read and I am enjoying it! It has short chapters as well.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #1627
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

I apologize if you folks have already discussed this book, but I was wondering if anyone has read this series (I believe there are 5 books in the series so far). It looks like fun!

http://www.amazon.com/HIDDEN-MICKEY-...25108&sr=1-1#_

Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1628
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Aww, don't let us sway you! It's a very creative story, and it's only a little over 200 pages so it's not like you'd be investing a whole lot of time into it. I thought I gave it a good review - I just didn't like the ending... because it DIDN'T end, lol. But now that I know a sequel is planned, that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I would say... Read it.

The story itself is worth it to me.
Okay, okay ... I'll give it a try. I just hate getting all the way through a book to have it end badly, and normally I don't do series books, but if it's only 200 pages I can knock that out pretty quickly and move on if I don't like it.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #1629
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#38 Delirum by Lauren Oliver

Absolutely the best YA book I've read ever!
Set in an "alternate present" where love is considered a disease. To keep from being infected everyone has to be cured by some kind of procedure at age 18 (too dangerous before age 18). A few months before the actual procedure, the person has to go before a panel & be quizzed about "stuff". Based on the results, it is determined what kind of continuing education & job you will do & you are also matched with 4 choices of the opposite sex to marry.
Of course there are always dissenters who are called invalids & live in the wilds which is outside the borders of the USA.
I give this 5 stars. Going by the library tonight to pick up Pandemonium, the second in the series.

Book Challenge Goal 65/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #1630
Ginny Favers

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#38 Delirum by Lauren Oliver

Absolutely the best YA book I've read ever!
Set in an "alternate present" where love is considered a disease. To keep from being infected everyone has to be cured by some kind of procedure at age 18 (too dangerous before age 18). A few months before the actual procedure, the person has to go before a panel & be quizzed about "stuff". Based on the results, it is determined what kind of continuing education & job you will do & you are also matched with 4 choices of the opposite sex to marry.
Of course there are always dissenters who are called invalids & live in the wilds which is outside the borders of the USA.
I give this 5 stars. Going by the library tonight to pick up Pandemonium, the second in the series.
Try to pick up BEFORE I FALL by the same author, too. It's like a cross between Mean Girls and Groundhog Day. I know a lot of people were disappointed by the last book in the DELIRIUM series, so I'd love to hear what you think!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #1631
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Try to pick up BEFORE I FALL by the same author, too. It's like a cross between Mean Girls and Groundhog Day. I know a lot of people were disappointed by the last book in the DELIRIUM series, so I'd love to hear what you think!
Will check to see if Before I Fall is available tonight also. Thanks.

Book Challenge Goal 65/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #1632
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
As a YA author, I have to take exception to that! There are a lot of bad, amateurish books out there, YA AND Adult. It is a misconception that YA books are less complicated and easier to write, and that YA authors are just looking to "graduate" to writing for adults. I get it all the time... "When are you going to start writing REAL books?" I have written for adults in the past and find it to be much more challenging (yet interesting) to get into the mindset of a young person. If they're not for you, they're not for you, but please do not insinuate that all those writing it are amateurs. YAs are certainly a lot brighter than we give them credit for, too, and I think the books available to them now show that. Plus, I've done pretty well writing my "amateurish" books.

Oh Ginny, I apologize! I had no intention of putting down YA authors or books when I said what I did. Perhaps "amateurish" was not the right word then. I certainly didn't mean that YA authors are amateurs!! I was trying to convey that the writing style is different in YA books than in adult books, and I'm not sure what word I could use to describe that, lol. I find that they ARE easier to READ and less complicated than most adult books (at least in my experience), which doesn't mean AT ALL that they are easier and less complicated to WRITE.

I've read plenty of YA books that I have LOVED (The Book Thief, Fault in our Stars, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc), and I continue to read them, just not on a regular basis - I like to mix it up and not get stuck in one particular genre.

I am sorry that I offended you in any way. That was certainly not my intention and I feel awful about it.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind

Currently reading: #33 Orphan Train

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #1633
Ginny Favers

Quote:
Oh Ginny, I apologize! I had no intention of putting down YA authors or books when I said what I did. Perhaps "amateurish" was not the right word then. I certainly didn't mean that YA authors are amateurs!! I was trying to convey that the writing style is different in YA books than in adult books, and I'm not sure what word I could use to describe that, lol. I find that they ARE easier to READ and less complicated than most adult books (at least in my experience), which doesn't mean AT ALL that they are easier and less complicated to WRITE.

I've read plenty of YA books that I have LOVED (The Book Thief, Fault in our Stars, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc), and I continue to read them, just not on a regular basis - I like to mix it up and not get stuck in one particular genre.

I am sorry that I offended you in any way. That was certainly not my intention and I feel awful about it.
Oh, please don't feel awful! I completely understand what you were trying to say.

It is true that up until very recently, YA books were simpler and easier to read. In fact even as late as when my first book was published in 2009, YA books were lighter, shorter, filled with slang, and "fluffy". But things have been evolving rapidly, and I doubt my first book would even sell now. After Twilight, YA became the hot genre, advances for these books were much higher than adult books, and every famous adult author thought they could get in on the boom-- so there has been a surge of quickly-published, bad, derivative books out there to capitalize on the trend. The industry is finally starting to contract and rein that in, focusing more on quality. Books are getting longer, more complex, more layered . . . and in fact, the type of book that sells now in the YA market is almost exactly the same in structure and verbiage as many adult books, except for one thing-- the main character is a young person.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #1634
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Well, I just did something I haven't done in years-I put a book down without finishing it. I was attempting to read "The Double Culture Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith (I'm not even sure I've got the name right), but it just wasn't for me. The way they talked, thought, the names-I just couldn't gt into it.
Oh I love most of his books. This one is the 11th in the #1 Detective Agency Series. I find his books filled with interesting characters, he doesn't shy away from tragedy but there is always humour and great human observations in his books. His books are often set in Scotland (where he lives) but he has spent time in Africa.

#65 I have just finished 1984 by George Orwell-fascinating and depressing. But glad I read it.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #1635
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Totally agree! Some of my favorite books have been YA and they have been very well written.

If I can ask, could we have some titles of what you have written? I would love to read a fellow DISer's work!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: