Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #1591
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
DD13 has told her dad that she will read 10 books this summer if he agrees to read one. She does not love to read like my other two so he'd better take her challenge!
Yes, he did agree to her challenge. She wants him to read The Outsiders. She just read it in school and really enjoyed it. I read it in HS but he never read it. He used to read but doesn't anymore so this will be good for both of them!

#22 - When a Flower Grows in the Street - it's about a first year teacher working in an urban area. It's a memoir about her first year, struggles with students and finances, and learning to live on her own. I chose it because I just accepted a teaching contract in an urban area. I wish there had been more teacher observations but it was a quick, entertaining read.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #1592
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

#29 done - Curse of the Spellmans (book 2 in a series) by Lisa Lutz. I'll give it a hearty "eh". Not much of a story and very, very slow. I think my experiment with that series is over.

Now reading Safe Haven as my daughter had it. So far, okay but not outstanding. I'm pretty sure I can predict what's going to happen in it.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #1593
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #33: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

What this "government" is doing to these kids is insane. They can't trust anyone or anything, even each other b/c of how their minds are manipulated.

Next book: The Death Cure (book 3)

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #1594
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

28/50 - A Perfect Husband by Aphrodite Jones

Unfortunately, the bad reviews were right on the money with this one. While I've enjoyed other books by this author, she really dropped the ball this time. The writing was terrible - facts were repeated over and over, the way some of it was arranged was past/present/past/present and that made it very confusing. She also took a lot of liberties when it came to knowing what people were thinking and feeling. It could have been about 25% shorter, too. I learned nothing new - most of the facts presented here I already knew from watching the 1-hour show on Biography.

In other words, I didn't like it!

1/5 stars

Next Up: The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #1595
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#40 - Further Chronicles of Avonlea
#41 - The Story Girl
#42 - The Golden Road
#43 - Kilmeny of the Orchard
#44 - The Watchman and other Stories
All by Lucy Maud Montgomery

I finally finished this series! #41-44 really didn't have anything to do with Anne Shirley, but I found the stories interesting enough to keep at it. Book #44 was all poetry, but I slogged through it. These books have been reviewed enough that I really can't add anything other than to say that I'm glad I didn't read them when I was young, because I wouldn't have appreciated them as much.

If our Bookmeister would be so kind, I'd like to increase my goal to 75. Enough wholesomeness! And now I'm off to read some of my beloved death and destruction and murder and mayhem!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #1596
portia9
DIS Veteran

I've just read through the last 10 pages and have downloaded The Enchanted April and The Maze Runner.

Goal 100

#60-62 Death of a Fop, Jane and the Bow St Runner, Jane and the Opera Dancer by Sarah Waldock-mysteries set in the 1800's.Only $1.50 ea on the kindle and well worth it.
#63 Emma by Jane Austen-not my favourite Austen but had to read it for book club. enjoyed it more re reading it than the first time I read it
# 64 Restoration by Rosé Tremain-good historical fiction set in England during the rule of Charles II

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #1597
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs View Post
Never got araound to reading Lost Symbol. Do I need to? Let me know when one of you guys are done.
I haven't finished Inferno, yet. I'm loving it, though! It's much more like DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. As far as I'm concerned, you could skip Lost Symbol entirely!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1598
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book #38 - "Inferno" by Dan Brown

Robert Langdon, art history professor and symbologist, is drawn into another mystery and is off to save the world, again. He races a clock to find Inferno a plague a madman has devised to "save mankind." The biggest problem, though, is that Robert has amnesia, and no idea of what he is supposed to do, or who he can trust.

I really enjoyed this book! It felt more like "The DaVinci Code" and "Angels and Demons." It was fast-paced, believable, and full of intrigue, history and poetry! I loved it!! I would totally recommend it to fans of Dan Brown.

Next up: "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #1599
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year (increased from 52)

#45 down and done.

It's More Than The Music - Life Lessons on Friends, Faith and What Matters Most by Bill Gaither with Ken Abraham.

Bill Gaither is a giant in the gospel music field, writing and recording original songs, developing and encouraging young talent, and bringing gospel music to millions of people through live Homecoming Concerts, videos, and CDs. This book lays out in story-telling format how the Gaithers got to where they are in the music world, without sugar-coating the journey.

I'm a huge gospel music fan (but I can't sing a note!) and have been to a Gaither concert and really enjoyed learning about the ins-and-outs of the Gaithers' lives and careers.

While not preachy, this is a spiritually uplifting book and I couldn't put it down.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1600
StephMK
DIS Veteran

#23 - Cemetery Girl - written by one of our Dis posters. It's a YA book about a girl who finds she may be able to draw people and messages from the deceased. I really liked the idea of the story and love that it was a collaboration with the poster's DDs. My DD13 is going to read it and I think she will like it as she loves art and the idea of special abilities.

#24 - Light Between Oceans - really enjoyed this and loved the ending, even though it might not end the way you think. I like books that don't follow an expected pattern. It's hard to believe this was her first book!

Ahh, it's been nice to spend some evenings reading lately though my sleep is suffering! Something light is up next.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #1601
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

#42 The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis

Review: The book is about Hattie Shephard and her 12 children. The chapters are about each child and written in different perspectives. The book doesn't follow a basic plotline but really tell the story of the different children and the mother who had raised them.

Hattie is an interesting character. Early on I was a witness to her pain of losing two of her children and I think this tragedy affected her later relationships with her other children. She is a mother and loves her children as it is apparent but there is a lack of tenderness as that had been replaced by almost entirely by tough love. I felt that that she saw her kids as an obligation, loved them but they are still an obligation to be cared for. However, as cold and hard as Hattie could be she was still there for them when they needed her.

I thought the book was o.k but received too much hype.The book tackles controversial subjects such as infidelity, homosexuality and mental illness but there was little to no closure to the characters. The stories were more vignettes than anything else. The Shephard family's stories aren't connected to one another and I didn't feel a connection to the story. However, I did feel that the personalities of the Shephard family and especially the children were complex, no one was bad or good. They were human.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #1602
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 35 of 100 - Dark Passage (Kingdom Keepers #6) by Ridley Pearson

Summary from Goodreads:
The five Kingdom Keepers and their core friends have uncovered a startling truth: Maleficent and the Overtakers (Disney villains) are plotting a catastrophic event that could have repercussions far beyond the world of Disney.

Aboard the Disney Cruise Line’s inaugural passage through the new Panama Canal, the Keepers and their holograms uncover a puzzle hidden within the pages of a stolen journal. The point of that puzzle will reveal itself in the caves of Aruba, the zip lines of Costa Rica, and the jungles of Mexico. A destructive force, dormant for decades, is about to be unleashed. The five Kingdom Keepers are to be its first victims

I enjoyed this book, however I missed the Keepers being in the parks. Granted I have never been on the Disney Dream, so the references were missed by me, but it was still fun to have the characters I have grown up with being part of the series. It kind of felt like they were wrapping it up, but there are still some loose threads. It will be fun to pick up the next one next year!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #1603
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Quick question: How are people counting collections of short stories when all in a single book? I am planning to start reading the Sherlock Holmes series, and got the complete collection in a single format. It includes all 56 short stories and 4 novels. I plan to count the novels each individually, but would you consider the short stories as one, or as 56?

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #1604
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Goal - 100 Books

Next up: "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton
You are in for a treat - I LOVED this book! I've read 2 others of hers and so far, this was my favorite. I have Secret Keeper downloaded and ready to go, but I'm putting off reading it because once I do, I'll have no more Kate Morton to look forward to.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #1605
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

36/50 Because of Low by Abbi Glines. It officially cured me of my obsession with her books. Basically, all of them are the same book, same characters, with small modifications, so if you've read one, you've read them all. Moving on.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: