Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #1576
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

26/50 - 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson

I've read nearly all of Patterson's Alex Cross books, and since there were so many books in this series, I thought I would give the first one a try. Huge mistake! This was nothing like the Alex Cross series - not as well-written, lots of holes in the plot, terrible dialogue. It was just awful. I'm not even tempted to see if the second book in the series is any better - I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

1/5 stars

27/50 - Long Time Coming by Edie Claire

This was a Kindle freebie, and it was surprisingly good! Most of the freebies I've read are good up until the end and then fall apart, but this one held the plot all the way through. This story was a romance with a touch of supernatural. I enjoyed it.

3/5 stars (3 and not 4 because the ending was so predictable)

Next Up: A Perfect Husband by Aphrodite Jones

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #1577
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
26/50 - 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson

I've read nearly all of Patterson's Alex Cross books, and since there were so many books in this series, I thought I would give the first one a try. Huge mistake! This was nothing like the Alex Cross series - not as well-written, lots of holes in the plot, terrible dialogue. It was just awful. I'm not even tempted to see if the second book in the series is any better - I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

1/5 stars

27/50 - Long Time Coming by Edie Claire

This was a Kindle freebie, and it was surprisingly good! Most of the freebies I've read are good up until the end and then fall apart, but this one held the plot all the way through. This story was a romance with a touch of supernatural. I enjoyed it.

3/5 stars (3 and not 4 because the ending was so predictable)

Next Up: A Perfect Husband by Aphrodite Jones
Who is the Aphrodite Jones one about?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #1578
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
Who is the Aphrodite Jones one about?
Michael Peterson.

I've read Cruel Sacrifice, All She Wanted, and Della's Web by her in the past, so I'm hoping even though the reviews aren't stellar this will turn out to be good.

ETA: What do you think of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? I finally added it to my library wish list.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #1579
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post

Michael Peterson.

I've read Cruel Sacrifice, All She Wanted, and Della's Web by her in the past, so I'm hoping even though the reviews aren't stellar this will turn out to be good.

ETA: What do you think of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? I finally added it to my library wish list.
I read about 20% last night alone. I like it a lot!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #1580
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I'm about 100 pages into Inferno by Dan Brown. It's a fun read so far even though I find his writing style annoying and amateurish at times. I do enjoy the background information he provides in his books and always seem to wind up googling for more information on the people, artwork, architechture, etc. he references. At any rate, I'm enjoying this one much more than his last one, The Lost Symbol.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #1581
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Wow, I'm already more than half way through my "goal". Last week I read "Killing Bridzilla", an enjoyable cozy with a wacky family and cat. Right now I'm reading "All I Ever Wanted" by Kristin Higgins. It can best be described in one word-"Yawn!" It's not a BAD book, just really slow and boring. She was involved with Mark, who left her for Muriel, and is now engaged to her. Meanwhile, she's trying to help the town's new vet "improve your image"-Ian's very stiff, formal, and not too friendly.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #1582
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 34 of 100 - A Brewing Storm (Derrick Storm Series #1) from Richard Castle

Summary on Goodreads:
When Derrick Storm needed to leave the CIA, he couldn't just retire. He had to fake his own death. So when his former boss calls in an old favor that will bring Storm out of early retirement and back to Washington to investigate a high-profile kidnapping, he knows there must be more at stake than the life of a senator's son. Working alongside, but not exactly with, bombshell FBI investigator April Showers, Storm must make sense of a confusing flurry of ransom notes and a complicated web of personal relationships and international politics. He'll get to the bottom of the kidnapping, but the storm is still brewing . . .

This is the second Richard Castle (yes, a fictional author from the TV Series) book that I have read. I was not too happy with the first one, but found this book to be much better. It left you hanging, so now I want to purchase the second in the series and see what happens. It is a quick, easy read, and the character interaction is promising.

Next up is the new Kingdom Keepers novel! I really need to catch up for my goal as I am slipping behind. Life just sometimes takes over!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #1583
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I read about 20% last night alone. I like it a lot!
Is it getting weird for you yet? lol

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #1584
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Right now I'm reading "All I Ever Wanted" by Kristin Higgins. It can best be described in one word-"Yawn!" It's not a BAD book, just really slow and boring. She was involved with Mark, who left her for Muriel, and is now engaged to her. Meanwhile, she's trying to help the town's new vet "improve your image"-Ian's very stiff, formal, and not too friendly.
I'm pretty sure I read this one. Very unremarkable, obviously since I can't even remember if I read it, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #1585
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Is it getting weird for you yet? lol
Yes!

It just got into the weird stuff. I wanted to keep reading but I was getting tired and didn't want to lose my momentum.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #1586
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
I'm about 100 pages into Inferno by Dan Brown. It's a fun read so far even though I find his writing style annoying and amateurish at times. I do enjoy the background information he provides in his books and always seem to wind up googling for more information on the people, artwork, architechture, etc. he references. At any rate, I'm enjoying this one much more than his last one, The Lost Symbol.
Glad to hear this! I'm starting Inferno today, and I, too, really didn't enjoy The Lost Symbol.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1587
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Glad to hear this! I'm starting Inferno today, and I, too, really didn't enjoy The Lost Symbol.
Never got araound to reading Lost Symbol. Do I need to? Let me know when one of you guys are done.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #1588
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #32- The Kill Order by James Dashner

This is the prequel to Maze Runner. It did explain some things that happened in the beginning, but not much about WICKED still. The reason the kids have to go thru all this still seems far fetched as well as the technology Wicked has. I did get tired of all the descriptive fighting scenes in this book. I am almost done w/The Scorch Trials (book 2). These are fast reads for sure, but at this point I wouldn't put it on the same level as Hunger Games or Divergent. I'll have to see if I have a different opinion once I finish the series.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 93 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #1589
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Sorry I have not really replied to this thread in awhile. Was not feeling that great all this month and the last two weeks in April.

So far I have read 35 out of 80 books for my goal of the book challenge. Right now reading two books.

Out Of The Black Land by Kerry Greenward. It is about when Nefertiti ruled ancient Egypt with Akhnaten in the eighteenth dynasty. Have read two chapters so far and I am liking it. The chapters are spilt between Mutnodjme who is Nefertiti's half sister and Ptah-hotep who is the royal scribe to Akhnaten. Love reading books that have to do with this time period because you wonder what it was like back then.

Second book I am reading is called The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society. It is the large print version of the book because that is the only one available at my library.

2014 Reading Challenge: 42 out of 50 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #1590
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #32- The Kill Order by James Dashner

This is the prequel to Maze Runner. It did explain some things that happened in the beginning, but not much about WICKED still. The reason the kids have to go thru all this still seems far fetched as well as the technology Wicked has. I did get tired of all the descriptive fighting scenes in this book. I am almost done w/The Scorch Trials (book 2). These are fast reads for sure, but at this point I wouldn't put it on the same level as Hunger Games or Divergent. I'll have to see if I have a different opinion once I finish the series.
I read the series but did not read this one. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the series when you're finished. I will say that I enjoyed the first book the best and agree they are not the same level as Hunger Games.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: