Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #136
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Ok what we did on the last book challenge was introduce ourselves and set a goal. We kept track of our own by posting something like this after completing each book:

Goal 48

#22 "Book Title" "Author"

Brief review.

Just a suggestion.
It's too confusing for me otherwise, lol.
LOVE this suggestion! Thank you!! It's simple and to the point. It's nice to post your original goal so we fellow DIS'ers can watch your progress.

And of course we want your brief review!!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Currently reading: #13 A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #137
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Hooray!!! I finished my first book of 2013!!!

Goal: 50 books

Book #1: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

(Is this the kind of review that is wanted here?)
PERFECTION!

Thank you! Book looks intriguing. I'm heading over to Goodreads now to add it to my "to read" list!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #138
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

A brief summary of Dying to get Published. Jennifer Marsh is a struggling writer that is tired of getting rejection letters from publishers. She hears about a woman on Oprah that writes a non-fiction book and finds almost immediate success. Jennifer decides that is what she needs to do, so she tries to plan the perfect murder and get herself caught.

I hope that this is the type of summary you all are looking for.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #139
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
PERFECTION!

Thank you! Book looks intriguing. I'm heading over to Goodreads now to add it to my "to read" list!
You won't be sorry!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #140
diznee25
"Curse you perry the platypus!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1102 View Post
A brief summary of Dying to get Published. Jennifer Marsh is a struggling writer that is tired of getting rejection letters from publishers. She hears about a woman on Oprah that writes a non-fiction book and finds almost immediate success. Jennifer decides that is what she needs to do, so she tries to plan the perfect murder and get herself caught.

I remember the title from your other post, but didn't think much about it. But now that you shared the plot, it sounds like an interesting read! Going to check it out now.

Thanks for the review!

diznee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #141
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin1102 View Post

That was the name of my best friend growing up.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #142
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Goal is 25

1. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Rating: 4 stars

Review: This was a non-fiction book which I do not normally read, but I found it very interesting. It is about the US ambassador to Germany and his daughter during Hitler's rise to power. It was interesting to read about the attitudes of the time, and how policies that were followed impacted the world. Pretty heavy reading for me, but I am glad I read it.

Up next: Loyalty in Death by JD Robb/Nora Roberts
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #143
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Hooray!!! I finished my first book of 2013!!!

Goal: 50 books

Book #1: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

(Is this the kind of review that is wanted here?)
Great review!! Quick reviews without giving away the ending is what I like!!

Book Challenge Goal 30/72
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #144
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Finished my first book, Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

Review: I had always read Little Women during the holidays and was supposed to read Jo's Boys and Little Men off the Kindle but alas my poor Kindle had finally puttered out so I had to get the books from the library. I found out that Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys are actually a trilogy.

I liked Jo's Boys. It was interesting to see how my favorite Alcott characters had grown up and Jo March is still herself! While I think that the book lacks the coziness and sentimental feeling that I got with Little Women, it is interesting to read Alcott's views on femininity, women working and the suffragette movement. The book doesn't lack in romance as I read how the characters from Little Men turned out.

I went to Book-Off this weekend and got some pretty good deals on some books so I better start on them.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #145
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I joined the Group on Good Reads. My goal is 25 books this year. I'm finishing #1 tonight. The Glass Castle. Up next: The Fault in Our Stars.

I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #146
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I finished my first book - do we update our original posts or just add to the thread?

Falling Star - Diana Dempsey it was a freebie from pixel of ink, definitely a fluff book and I'd give it a 2.5 for entertainment value. Not a great book but ok, predictable.

I look forward to reading some of the suggestions on here. I used to get more best seller/recommended books from family but don't anymore since we moved. I'm out of touch w/"good" book choices.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #147
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
I finished my first book - do we update our original posts or just add to the thread?

Falling Star - Diana Dempsey it was a freebie from pixel of ink, definitely a fluff book and I'd give it a 2.5 for entertainment value. Not a great book but ok, predictable.

I look forward to reading some of the suggestions on here. I used to get more best seller/recommended books from family but don't anymore since we moved. I'm out of touch w/"good" book choices.
I think we've all decided to add a new post with every book with your goal # and the book # you just finished, along with title, author, and a brief summary if you want.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #148
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I joined the Group on Good Reads. My goal is 25 books this year. I'm finishing #1 tonight. The Glass Castle. Up next: The Fault in Our Stars.
That title sounds familiar (The Glass Castle). Would you mind letting us know after you've finished it if you'd recommend it?

Fault in Our Stars was a very moving story. Enjoy!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #149
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

I'm coming late to the party, but my goal is 52 books (one a week), and I'm looking forward to re-reading some old favorites (plus some new ones). Feeling the itch to read Great Gatsby again soon -- I re-read it last summer and some phrases have been lingering in my mind.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #150
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfanforever View Post
Goal is 25

1. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Rating: 4 stars

Review: This was a non-fiction book which I do not normally read, but I found it very interesting. It is about the US ambassador to Germany and his daughter during Hitler's rise to power. It was interesting to read about the attitudes of the time, and how policies that were followed impacted the world. Pretty heavy reading for me, but I am glad I read it.

Up next: Loyalty in Death by JD Robb/Nora Roberts
I find Erik Larson's writing spellbinding! His research and attention to detail are unmatched. I loved this book. You may also enjoy two other of his non-fiction books, Devil in the White City, and Thunderstruck.

Devil is the true story of a serial killer operating in Chicago during the building of the 1893 World's Fair. In addition to the murder stories, it was fascinating to learn how the fair was put together, the social customs, and the police procedures of that era.

Thunderstruck is the story of how Gugliermo Marconi's invention of the telegraph was instrumental in apprehending Hawley Crippen, the notorious British wife-killer.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: