Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

Update on my New Year's Eve health scare.......

So at the ER that night, they told me to follow up with my regular doctor. So I went in today. Despite what the findings were at the hospital on New Year's Eve, my doctor wants another round of bloodwork, a stress test, and a sonogram of my neck. She felt a swollen lymph node and wants to investigate. I did just have strep throat 2 weeks ago, but she's not sure it's related to that.

Ugh.

I've never had a stress test before, and that's the thing that's freaking me out the most. I have major hospital/doctor phobia anyway. So anything like this just pushes me over the edge.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie_me View Post
So at the ER that night, they told me to follow up with my regular doctor. So I went in today. Despite what the findings were at the hospital on New Year's Eve, my doctor wants another round of bloodwork, a stress test, and a sonogram of my neck. She felt a swollen lymph node and wants to investigate. I did just have strep throat 2 weeks ago, but she's not sure it's related to that.

Ugh.

I've never had a stress test before, and that's the thing that's freaking me out the most. I have major hospital/doctor phobia anyway. So anything like this just pushes me over the edge.

I've done the stress test before. it's really not that bad. It's more like going to the gym than to the doctor, you walk on a treadmill.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
I've done the stress test before. it's really not that bad. It's more like going to the gym than to the doctor, you walk on a treadmill.
Yep! One of the more "fun" medical tests I've had and I am also medical/doctor phobic.

I thought what was nice was after the stress test (I also had an echocardiogram with it), the cardiologist sat down with me and went over the results right away.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
daemom
DIS Veteran

I also just had a stress test, echocardiogram and CT scan of the chest. Nothing to worry about with any of them--unless you don't like the feeling that you might be wetting your pants when you get the contrast dye in the CT scan!

My experience with the stress test was that several electrodes and a belt are attached to your torso. They told me when my heart rate got up to XX I would stay on the treadmill for another 5 minutes. It was just a brisk walk, on an incline. The doctor confirmed what I knew---I'm out of shape! Good luck!
daemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Except one doesn't often go the gym bra less with one's shirt open.

OP, I'm sorry I'm probably not helping. I had to have one as part of a transplant situation and it really is interesting to take, I swear.

And I found understanding the ins and outs of the heart just fascinating as did the anesthesiologist who was so passionate to go through it all with me.

I found out that my heart goes up, when others go down and vice versa. And they were a bit taken aback until the realized it was just MY normal, no matter how strange.

And in all seriousness, it's great to have even if you are 100% fine. They explained to me that having a baseline is a life saver for some in the future. Critical stats to have.

Here's to everything going well and you doctor clearing you or at least figuring out things so that you can deal with them.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 01-03-2014 at 07:27 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Except one doesn't often go the gym bra less with one's shirt open.

OP, I'm sorry I'm probably not helping. I had to have one as part of a transplant situation and it really is interesting to take, I swear.

And I found understanding the ins and outs of the heart just fascinating as did the anesthesiologist who was so passionate to go through it all with me.

I found out that my heart goes up, when others go down and vice versa. And they were a bit taken aback until the realized it was just MY normal, no matter how strange.

And in all seriousness, it's great to have even if you are 100% fine. They explained to me that having a baseline is a life saver for some in the future. Critical stats to have.

Here's to everything going well and you doctor clearing you or at least figuring out things so that you can deal with them.
I didn't have to go bra less or have my shirt open during my stress test. The center actually recommended that I wear gym clothes so I did. I had to run on the treadmill to get my heart rate high enough. The most annoying tests imo is the 24 hour blood pressure and the halter monitor.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
I didn't have to go bra less or have my shirt open during my stress test. The center actually recommended that I wear gym clothes so I did.
You LUCKY woman. (Yeah for the OP!)

Maybe I was tricked. Just kidding.

Canadian health care.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 01-03-2014 at 07:39 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

Thanks, everybody! "Stress test" just sounds so.........STRESSful!

What kept me awake last night was the sonogram. Not the actual test, but what it may reveal. I am forcing myself NOT to google anything, because I know it will lead me to the worst case scenario.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie_me View Post
Thanks, everybody! "Stress test" just sounds so.........STRESSful!

What kept me awake last night was the sonogram. Not the actual test, but what it may reveal. I am forcing myself NOT to google anything, because I know it will lead me to the worst case scenario.
Just focus on what a relief it will be to have thoroughly checked things out and gotten the all clear. It really is a great feeling. And know that many before you have experienced the same thing and been just fine.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Be glad that your doctor is pursuing testing and trying to find our what's going on. DH went to th ER on December 20. He is finally going in for an echo next Thursday. His doctor left for vacation before his bloodwork was in, and the on call doctor didn't want to mess with it. We made an appointment with a nurse practitioner. She just wrote it off as a pulled muscle. I'm hoping that's all that it is, but I am very thankful his doctor is back now and wanting to be certain there are no heart problems.

It sounds like you have a very thorough doctor, and I think that's one of the most important things. At least you'll know for sure what's going on.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: