Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #46
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

We just came back from DL for Christmas and my DS is 5 and DD is 4 they got $50 each and I kept the money with them and everytime they would ask for something I would tell them they only have a certain amount of money and ask if they were sure they wanted it...esp the stuff I didn't agree with And when they got down to their last $10 I told them they only had a little money left and when they picked out something and it was $10 I let them know that would be the last thing they got....of course they asked for more stuff but I would tell them they spent all of their money surprisingly there were no meltdowns or fits and they got quiet a bit of stuff their ears, light up toy(one i did not agree with) Balloon and a game(another I did not agree with)

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
Summer 2014-Disneyland Summer trip
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #47
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I absolutely 10000% agree with this poster their fingers were just quicker than mine
This is an issue for me, as well. A little OT, but my MIL gives my kids more money than she should (IMHO) for Christmas and birthdays. I tell her, "A 2yo doesn't need $100 for Christmas!" She says, "I can spoil my grandkids if I want to!" We're both right, so we agree to disagree--she gives them the money, I have my kids put half (or more, depending) in their savings account, to be taken out for vacations or, for my teens, a larger, planned purchase or whatever. So this past Christmas, my younger two (DD9, DS6) put their money in the bank, but we'll be taking it out in three weeks. They don't need to buy more stuff now, when they just got tons of presents and a Target gift card (which they did spend). I don't understand why the OP didn't put the money aside/in the kids' savings accounts. When we go to WDW, I hold everyone's money, but keep track of the kids' spending--any left over goes right back in their bank accounts. Even if I think the amount is too much, I'm mature enough to see that it's a gift, given with love from their grandmother, for their enjoyment. They're happy, she's happy--why not be happy for them?
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #48
brockash
DIS Veteran

Your DH is kinda nuts if he thinks $10 is going to get much at all at Disney. Having said that I think $100 is A LOT, especially for the ages of your kids. I think 30-50 is a good amount.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #49
michellelovesthemous
DIS Veteran

Another crazy parent checks on.....

I have always allowed my DD $25-30 a day on our yearly trip to WDW. We started her own money at 5 on a gift card that I carried so it still had a potential veto on the item. By 9 she had cash and the balance on her debit card (I work at a CU) and new how to balance her checking account! At 13 her purchases became less but more costly, she gets lost in Japan,china and Germany and will drop 50-100 in each land but she gets big ticket items anime, kimono, Chinese dress jacket etc so for her on a 14 day holiday she goes with $500 and may come home with 50 but has awesome stuff and nice gifts for her mates at school too. It works for us and she has always had a good idea of the value of money and what she has left, a page from a check register in her backpack does wonders and she is doing math too!! This August we are going back for 17 days and again at 15 she will have $600 to spend but I still get the veto if needed save 1 item she can waste her money on but that is it so she has to choose wisely Just my two cents from our 15 years of minor money!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #50
cheshireqt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
Knowing my mom, she won't use the kids money when they are with her anyhow but I think you make an excellent point. I would hate for my mom to be spending more of her money when she already gave the kids money. I don't think the girls will even spend a $50 gift card but I think I will get one for each girl (or maybe wait til we get there if we can get other than $25 denominations in person) and then also have a $20 available to send with them if they go off with grandma. I don't want this to be a vacation of 'no' so I'm really hoping that the girls (and grandma) will be reasonable.
That sounds perfect, although maybe send them off with Grandma with the gift card to spend and pay cc for anything else within the budget.
Your signature shows two older boys as well? If they are going on the trip and will be buying things for themselves from their $ then the younger ones will be quick to pick up on the fairness factor. You will have headed that off as well.

AKL 8/2006, POFQ 9/2007, Universal-RPR 2/2009, :CBR 8/2009-4 generation GRANDGATHERING, Universal-HRH 8/2011
cheshireqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
mimmi
DIS Veteran

My daughter got a $70 gift card for our week at WDW and spent all of it.

We gave her a $50 gift card for our Disney cruise as a Christmas present and now she requests a gift card from us, as the Christmas gift card came from Santa and we always give her a vacation budget. Stupid mistake .
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #52
lovemesomepooh
Want to be Disney bound

Last year was my kids first time going to Disney. They were 5 and 7. My parents and their great grandma gave them $20-25 each. I told them I would get them a t-shirt, ears and one other item. So less then $100. The $50 they had from Grandmas was their's to spend. Now my kids had seen a few things the first night at Downtown Disney. I told them we haven't even got into a park yet. I suggested they wait and if they still wanted this item and didn't find it in any park we would come back. That seemed to work. They knew they only had $50 to spend and they would ask how much they would have left and they decided whether it was something they wanted to spend that much money on or not.

This time since they don't know we are going their Christmas money in the bank, though I am sure my parents will give them some money. If not I will get them each $50 each and I have allowed myself to spend $200 on them and $200 on myself.

Me: 38 Fiancé: 37 DD: 10 DS:8

November 2014 Poly
February 2013 POP SURPRISE TRIP for kids
January/February 2012 POP My kids FIRST trip to Disney!!!
December/January 2000-2001 off site
March 1990 off site
several other times as a child stayed off site
lovemesomepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #53
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

If grandma gave them $100 for the trip, let them use it. $10 won't go far at all. $100 is a nice amount and make sure they understand the budget and what it is for. My children know that any snacks, souvenirs, or arcade money is coming from their personal spending money.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #54
mummabear
DIS Veteran

I agree that $10 won't get you far in fact it may not get you an autograph book. Its a great oppurtunity to teach your 4yr old about money-its not infinite and you need to pick carefully, which is age appropriate for them. I would give them enough that they could buy a teddy or t-shirt so $30-$40 and personally my 2 always 'get' the same amount.
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: