Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
scootch
DIS Veteran

When my kids were 2 and 4, they were so interested in the park, they didn't care about the gift shops... and thus, I skipped them. Before we left, I did let them each get something, dd 2 picked a little red car, cost $5 or less...we still have it(she is 10 ) I really wouldn't give kids that age a budget for them, I would decide what I was willing to spend and then just tell them no if it didnt' fit in what I planned on spending. Had I not taken my two into the gift shop the last day, i wouldn't have had to spend anything on them. They were mesmorized by the characters and the parks. Maybe it was a good set up too... as they still don't care to go hog wild in the shops. We usually have to plan to go in one before we leave.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Mainemama
Mouseketeer

1 item

My experience is similar to other posters, but I do think some 4 year olds can have a concept of spending amounts. My 4 year old did, but he loves numbers. Limiting the item, rather than the amount is the way to go. We told our kids they could have 1 stuffy and 1 hat, and then buy themselves 1 more toy with their own money. They ended up turning down the hats, and purchasing $15 items on last day of trip. My son picked his stuffy the first day of the trip, so he could play with it the rest of the trip. My daughter looked at every animal in the parks before choosing one the 2nd to last night. If you are on the dining plan, shopping for snacks in candy store allows more fun shopping cheaply.
Mainemama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

But was the money given by grandma for Christmas specifically for Disney? If that's what she meant it for then it should be available for the trip and anything left over should go in the bank. If they were given a gift instead of cash, would you have returned that gift and put the money in the bank? Maybe I'm not understanding but if my kids grandparents gave them a specific amount for a specific thing, then that's what it should be used for.

$10 at WDW will buy them some candy or a very small stuffed animal or maybe their autograph book/pen. My kids have never spent much at Disney but I'm not about to tell them no the entire trip either. A couple of years ago we gave dd9 $75 for her birthday at Disney and she had a really hard time spending it.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
littlezar
DIS Veteran

Is that the only money they'll have to spend? If so, I'd say $25-50 each would get them a toy and maybe a shirt. Or is that money that they can say "I want this" and you won't say no? In that case, I'd say $10 each. The 4yr old might understand how much spending money she has but the 2 yr old probably doesn't so I'm assuming you're just putting that money aside in the budget for them either way.

I've never done a set amount for my boys but they're also not big shoppers. They tend to get park or ride specific shirts and a pin to commemorate their favorite thing that trip.

The older two each traded 2 vinylmation all week on our last trip - they started the trip by buying whichever series was buy 1 get 1 70% off and just kept trading til the end of the trip.

The younger 2 did pin trading. You can get a starter set with 4 pins/lanyard on the Disney Store website for $25 and they can trade those all week. I don't know if your 2 yr old will understand the concept but your 4 yr old will probably enjoy it. My 6 year old would trade for something that he absolutely had to have at 9AM and by 11AM that one was being traded again for the next one he absolutely had to have. The 11yr old worked on collecting a specific set of pins and got all but 1 so he was happy.

If your girls play with Mr. Potato Head you can go to the Once Upon a Toy store at Downtown Disney and fill a box with parts. You don't have to buy the potato head if you already have one at home. That runs around $20-25. That might be a good toy to get for them to share.

Whatever you decide, have a magical trip!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I don't think children that small need spending money. They are at Disney World. DISNEY WORLD. All of those rides, the characters, the castle. Come on. It's DISNEY WORLD. How awesome is that? Is a 2 1/2 and 5 year old really going to need spending money to be happy, at DISNEY WORLD?!?

Buy them a shirt, maybe a toy.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #21
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

We actually don't give our children ANY spending money and it's always worked out. We have done pressed pennies in the past but honestly, the trip itself is a reward for our family and occasionally we will pick up a souvie, but we buy tshirts before the trip because I think that $25 is WAY too much to spend on a tshirt. We do purchase snacks and whatever but we pay for them. For us, it would be way too difficult for all of our children to have their own money with them. Our kids know ahead of time that we can look at the souveniers, but as far as getting anything, it's probably not going to happen.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
sarahlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoaSweetie View Post
Ditto this for me, too... for our first few years, our girls really didn't even think to look at the items and WANT them, we just admired.
Oh I hope you know how lucky you are.

Even when DS was 3 (for our first proper DLR trip) he was a shopper. DH did not help the situation. They made walking through DTD at DLR so difficult with all of their "I wants". (I was the budget person and I know them, and know that they will BOTH buy something and while holding that brand new thing in their hands want to buy something else...ugh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post

At these ages, they won't really have any concept of waiting to buy what they really want or how to save or why they can have toy a but not toy b. You could easily gauge their reactions to things and buy what you see they really want.
I agree.

We've never gone with a set amount. But I don't want DS (or me, or DH) to buy the first thing he sees, because I know darned well that the second thing he sees he will want just as much, and the same with the 3rd, 4th, infinity'th thing he sees.

But sometimes, if I make him wait, he can, indeed, narrow it down. He and DH have the shopping gene. I do not. It's very weird.

Of course, he's an only and we try to be generous with the overall budget, and WE like the Lego sets just as much as he does, etc etc...so he does, perhaps, get a bigger budget for souvenirs by the end of a trip than some other children do. Like...the idea of $10, or even $25, or one toy at the end of the trip, makes me want to cry a bit (even though I, personally, can go on a trip and *maybe* buy a keychain and that's it). Disney has VERY good merchandise people.

That said, with no previous experience with budgeting, when Disney had the birthday year, we had DLR APs so DS got the giftcard. And he did VERY well with it! He needed help in determining the value of things, and subtracting, but he accepted it perfectly, and was able to work it out to the end almost perfectly. At the end we did kick in a few dollars for that last light saber to finish off the gift card. We were amazed at how well he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
But was the money given by grandma for Christmas specifically for Disney? If that's what she meant it for then it should be available for the trip and anything left over should go in the bank. If they were given a gift instead of cash, would you have returned that gift and put the money in the bank? Maybe I'm not understanding but if my kids grandparents gave them a specific amount for a specific thing, then that's what it should be used for.
I definitely agree with that.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

I don't give my kids (ages 6 and 9 now) "spending money". If they've gotten a Disney gift card for a birthday/holiday present, obviously they have that. As far as anything beyond that, it's not a set amount. Typically they'll look around throughout our stay, and choose one reasonably priced item (as defined by DH and myself so the amount may vary) to purchase on the last day or so. As examples, they each got a stuffed animal on the last trip. The one before that was Mickey themed plates. My goal is to be sure that they've seen all their options and are choosing the thing they want most...no more buying something right away because they're so excited then every day after that seeing another item and saying "I wish I had that instead...".
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
I agree. You don't have to tell the kids they have that much to spend, and you can still manage it for them. But if that is the reason grandma gave them the money, then that is how it should be spent. To go against her wishes and put it all in the bank would be a bit rude, imho.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
la79al
DIS Veteran

OP here. Thanks everyone for your input. In response to the question, no I don't believe grandma gave them the money specifically for spending money at DW. It's the same amount she gives them every year and she gives them other things too. I think I am going to give DD4 about $25 cash or gift card in case she goes off with grandma or aunt or uncle. I will let both her and DD2 pick a few things to buy throughout the week but probably not have them hold their own money or really even let them know that they have any. I will just use my credit card and then take it back from their bank accounts when we get home. On one hand, DD4 still has 75% of her birthday money (from May) left because she didn't know she had it. On the other hand, DSD still has the Nemo purse she picked out when we went when she was 4. It's one of the very few things she won't let me pass down to DD4. I am planning on getting both girls a charm for their charm bracelets and a box of potato head parts to share. I really do believe that once we get there, the kids won't be too worried about shopping but DD4 is a sucker when it comes to anything with Rapunzel on it. We already have a Rapunzel dress (plus DD2 picked out a Merida dress for Christmas), an autograph book, a pressed penny book (with quarters/pennies left over from our 2009 trip ), glowsticks and light up toys and both of my kids are too shy to show any interest in pin trading. Spending money might be a moot point .
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
OP here. Thanks everyone for your input. In response to the question, no I don't believe grandma gave them the money specifically for spending money at DW. It's the same amount she gives them every year and she gives them other things too. I think I am going to give DD4 about $25 cash or gift card in case she goes off with grandma or aunt or uncle. I will let both her and DD2 pick a few things to buy throughout the week but probably not have them hold their own money or really even let them know that they have any. I will just use my credit card and then take it back from their bank accounts when we get home. On one hand, DD4 still has 75% of her birthday money (from May) left because she didn't know she had it. On the other hand, DSD still has the Nemo purse she picked out when we went when she was 4. It's one of the very few things she won't let me pass down to DD4. I am planning on getting both girls a charm for their charm bracelets and a box of potato head parts to share. I really do believe that once we get there, the kids won't be too worried about shopping but DD4 is a sucker when it comes to anything with Rapunzel on it. We already have a Rapunzel dress (plus DD2 picked out a Merida dress for Christmas), an autograph book, a pressed penny book (with quarters/pennies left over from our 2009 trip ), glowsticks and light up toys and both of my kids are too shy to show any interest in pin trading. Spending money might be a moot point .
Okay, now that you've added more details I'll change my answer a bit.

It sounds as if Grandma expected that the kids' Christmas money would be used for Disney fun. Why else would you have written: "My mom was upset that I put their Christmas money ($100 each) in the bank instead of letting them have it for spending money at DW." in your OP?

I would pull ALL OF IT out of the bank, put $75 per child on gift cards and have $25 in cash per child for anything that can't be paid for with a gift card. Hand the GCs over to Grandma and tell her to use them to treat the girls to what they want. Let her have the pleasure of buying an ice cream treat or tempting light up toy for the girls. That way she won't have to dig further into her pocketbook to pay for something that she had anticipated the girls would have been able to get when she gave them their Christmas money.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
la79al
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Okay, now that you've added more details I'll change my answer a bit.

It sounds as if Grandma expected that the kids' Christmas money would be used for Disney fun. Why else would you have written: "My mom was upset that I put their Christmas money ($100 each) in the bank instead of letting them have it for spending money at DW." in your OP?

I would pull ALL OF IT out of the bank, put $75 per child on gift cards and have $25 in cash per child for anything that can't be paid for with a gift card. Hand the GCs over to Grandma and tell her to use them to treat the girls to what they want. Let her have the pleasure of buying an ice cream treat or tempting light up toy for the girls. That way she won't have to dig further into her pocketbook to pay for something that she had anticipated the girls would have been able to get when she gave them their Christmas money.
Knowing my mom, she won't use the kids money when they are with her anyhow but I think you make an excellent point. I would hate for my mom to be spending more of her money when she already gave the kids money. I don't think the girls will even spend a $50 gift card but I think I will get one for each girl (or maybe wait til we get there if we can get other than $25 denominations in person) and then also have a $20 available to send with them if they go off with grandma. I don't want this to be a vacation of 'no' so I'm really hoping that the girls (and grandma) will be reasonable.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

I have honestly never heard of spending money for a 2 or 4 year old. They don't have a concept of money at these ages. Let them pick out an item or 2 if they want something.

Good idea on banking their money. Encouraging them to save money in a bank account is a great skills builder.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

It sounds like a situation is being created that doesn't even need to be. My kids are older, but if I felt compelled to give them souvenirs at that age, I'd take them to the resort gift shop, and let them each pick out one thing.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
VandVsmom
Earning My Ears

We have always let the girls pick out one reasonably priced item. If I gave them a specific dollar amount, DD2 would spend the entire time looking for something to spend every cent instead of relaxing. She is very serious about spending money. To tell her "one thing" just works out better.

DD1 is kind of spacey and would likely misplace any money she held.

Overall, it is just better if we take control and set limits.
VandVsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: