Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
WINTER
DIS Veteran

Southwest travel from Indy

What happened with direct flights? Where did they go?
15 trips stayed off site; '87 Viscount (DTD); '89 Howard Johnson (DTD); '95 Travelodge (DTD); '96 CBR; '05, '06, '09, '10 Pop Century; '07 Royal Plaza (DTD); 6/11 W/L; 5/12 POR; 7/12 BW Plus Park Place Inn at D'Land; 6/13 D'Land BW Plus Park Place Inn; 7/13 W/L; 10/13 Bonnet Creek; 7/14 CR TPV. ]

WINTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTER View Post
What happened with direct flights? Where did they go?
I know, they have really trimmed down their nonstop flights . Looking for flights to Orlando in May, it looks like there were no nonstops Monday through Friday. It doesn't make sense to me . I just wish AirTran would adopt SWA's no baggage fee and no change fee policy ASAP .
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

As part of the merger between Southwest and AirTran, they are moving flights around between the 2 airlines. Same thing happened here in Pittsburgh and someone else mentioned it in Philadelphia. With each schedule change, they are converting certain cities from AirTran to Southwest, which means they need to send Southwest planes there. Eventually AirTran will be phased out completely.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Gary M
DIS Veteran

DW and I just flew from IND to MCO on Dec. 13 and returned on the 18th. We were on SWA direct flights both ways. The plane to Orlando was maybe 75% full and the return flight was less than 1/2 full (60 people according to flight attendant). I was expecting to be packed in like sardines. Just a few years ago Indy had 4 airlines flying nonstop to Orlando, with a total of 15 to 20 direct flights per day. How the times have changed and the air fare has increased.
Gary M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
wdw&sonny
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add Cleveland (OH) to the list of cities with few non-stop flights to MCO. i think United is the only carrier w/ non-stop and only one flight on Saturday mornings (and that flight is currently $473 for June).
wdw&sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Seems if yu want non-stop out of Indy to MCO you have to fly AirTran.

I did grab a r/t Indy to MCO via AirTran for under $200.00 total (with seat assignment ) for July 2013 though.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Gary M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Denise View Post
Seems if yu want non-stop out of Indy to MCO you have to fly AirTran.

I did grab a r/t Indy to MCO via AirTran for under $200.00 total (with seat assignment ) for July 2013 though.
SWA had one non-stop flight each way from IND to MCO, as of a couple of weeks ago.
Gary M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

As others have said, this is a byproduct of the merger between SW and AirTran. Say goodbye to those daily non-stops between IND and MCO on SW, and say hello to baggage fees and seat assignment fees (for better or worse) on those M-F Round trips on Airtran.

I wasn't too pleased with the changes when the latest schedule came out either. I liked flying SW the last time I flew and actually didn't mind the open seating.

As another poster had stated, I hope AirTran will adopt the 0 baggage fees in the future as the merger completes and SW absorbs all the Airtran fleet.
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise

Dis_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Goofy_Disney_Dad
Mouseketeer

Looks to me like Southwest is using Airtran for the IND-MCO business these days. I've noticed about 2 non stops for Southwest and about 6 to 8 non stops for Airtran depending on the day. The Airtran prices have been lower than the Southwest prices by about $20 to $30 each way so, when you pay for baggage, you really are paying about what you'd pay for Southwest and their free baggage anyway.
Goofy_Disney_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy_Disney_Dad View Post
Looks to me like Southwest is using Airtran for the IND-MCO business these days. I've noticed about 2 non stops for Southwest and about 6 to 8 non stops for Airtran depending on the day. The Airtran prices have been lower than the Southwest prices by about $20 to $30 each way so, when you pay for baggage, you really are paying about what you'd pay for Southwest and their free baggage anyway.

When I bought my DH's airfare it is possible that SWA's schedules were out yet (we bought in November ) .

I am driving with others in party so I will be taking his luggage with me, my poor hubby only has enough vaca time for Disney, I get to do Universal too.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
disney314
Mouseketeer

I just found this out! No more nonstop flights on Southwest from Indy to MCO. I guess at least Airtran still offers them, but I hate how you have to pay for luggage with them. Oh well....nothing we can do about it.

I can't book yet, I need airfare for next March (2014), just booked a Disney Cruise for next year's spring break.

Anyone have a guess when the March 2nd-9th Airtran schedule may be out for 2014?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Braden's Momma
Mouseketeer

I love SW out of Indy because of their non stop flights. Any chance my flight for next week will no longer be non-stop?

(DH 32) (ME 27) (DS 7) (DD 3)

Annie

1985-1989 -Florida Resident - Multiple Day Trips
2000 - Off Property
2010 (May)- Port Orleans Riverside (Mansions)
2011 (May)- Caribbean Beach - Pirate Room - 1st Trip w/ our son
March 2013 - POR - 1st trip w/ our 4 yo !
Braden's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

disney314
If you book your AirTran flight on southwest.com you will not have to pay the bag fee. Unfortunately if you do that then you will not be assigned a seat until you check in, EBCI doesn't apply to AirTran flights.

Braden's Momma
If you have already booked your flight for next week and it is a non-stop then it will still be a non-stop.
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Prose
DIS Veteran

We just booked flights for our October cruise, and are flying IND to MCO non stop both ways. The Southwest nonstop to MCO is around 7am and the flight back around 4pm. There's only one nonstop a day, so once they sell out, they no longer show on the website. I suspect they might go quickly.

They released flights through Oct. last week and they'll release through part of December the first week of May. If that pattern stays, they'd release flight through February-ish in July and through April-ish sometime in September....you can find the release dates by choosing Travel Tools then All Travel Tools....

Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
celestialred
Keep the Dr. Pepper flowing or the fluffy bunny bites it!

I'm itching to book this and am really disappointed the SWA flights have seemingly been phased out. Also, the prices went up for our time frame, boo-hiss (even though we're still just over 6 months out). The plane itself on their website is showing plenty of seating available still. Does anyone happen to know if AirTran has fare sales at around the 90-day mark or so? I'm signed up for their e-mail list.

CSR May 1998-Honeymoon
RPR @ Universal Jan 2007-Work Conference
Renaissance @ SeaWorld Jan 2013-Work Conference Micro-Trip Report Here!
Sep 2013-Back to CSR and First Trip For The Kids - Come check out my PTR here!
celestialred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: