Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #91
DonaldDuckFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
They are affordable to many; hence the near record crowds this year.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
Disney needs to earn my business with a fair price. It's not about what we can afford. We have taken 4 Orlando vacations in the last 5 years that cost around $10k each. Just because I can afford to be gouged doesn't mean I will allow that to happen. There are lots of great places to vacation with family that have fair prices. Right now Disney is attempting to raise their already to high rack rate and offer less of a discount which is a double whammy. The cost of our 14 day December vacation would go up $2k from last year with this pricing. This will cost Disney my business. It's way over market value. I will spend my $10k somewhere else if they don't come to the party.
Of course there are many other places to vacation. At this point, my family chooses to give Disney our business for the bulk of our vacation expense. If you feel that Disney is way over market value, then you shouldn't give them your business. Until Disney parks and resort attendance is affected, Disney will continue to charge the prices they do. But as the previous poster stated, Disney was at near record crowds so the pricing is what people are willing to pay. Which is where my family falls in and any discount is just a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
Disn
ey doesn't have to give discounts you know. Although they do for most slow times. I personally hope they wean people off of the free dining because, as you can read, people now think they are entitiled If you don't go to WDW for your trip YOU will be missing out.
Discounts just add to a better customer experience. If I get one, all the better. I do not feel I am entitled to any discount and since our family vacations have had to be around Easter the past few years, we accept the pricing and the fact that we don't get the great discount someone going in September gets. A Disney experience is one I am willing to pay for.
Offsite Feb 2004;AS Music April 2007;Coronado Springs March 2008;Port Orleans Riverside April 2009;POR February/March 2010;POR March/April 2011 ;Boardwalk Villas November 2011 (10th Anniversary celebration with DH );BWI March/April 2012; Beach Club March 2013; Christmas/NYE 2013 Polynesian/Boardwalk Inn; February 2014 Princess Half POP; Beach Club August 2014; BWI March 26th - April 4th 2015
DH Me DS 16 DD 11 : DS 9
DonaldDuckFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #92
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wellbased on that statement I guess they don't need to offer FD this year to fill their rooms. Will it piss some people off-yes. But like I've said time to wean some of these people off of this promotion.Will some go elsewhere this year -maybe. Most will just complain and end up at the Happiest Place on Earth I for one appreciate evrything they do.Discounts are a bonus not a right.
You are correct if they can fill enough rooms at that price, I doubt they can. This "I appreciate everything they do" stuff makes you sound very brainwashed and almost cult like.
saskdw is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #93
mwachter
Earning My Ears

While I won't necessarily disagree about weaning back on the discounts they are giving, they are starting to price a lot of families about being able to go. It seems that they have started to get a little carried away with price increases on hotel rooms and dining. When the moderate hotels are over $200 a night for a room no better than a Holiday Inn, people start to ask "What am I really getting?"

They are a business and need to make money, but they also need to be careful not to start pushing certain families to stay outside of their resorts and spending more time at other parks.

As a business it is a fine balancing act that you have to play when pricing your services.
mwachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #94
grumpyfannypack
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDuckFamily View Post
This is just how "I" look at Disney vacation. When my family plans a trip, I book for what my budget allows, which typically includes ordering from Garden Grocer all breakfasts and lunches. But, my point is IF Disney comes out with a discount, AWESOME! If not, then I am not out anything. Disney prices based on what people will pay. I look at the vacation as time with family and I budget my vacation not worrying or needing the discount, BUT they sure are nice to get.
This.
DIS Dad #550

2000 - All-Star Movies
2009 - All-Star Sports
2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
2013 - Caribbean Beach Resort
grumpyfannypack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #95
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly

Of course there are many other places to vacation. At this point, my family chooses to give Disney our business for the bulk of our vacation expense. If you feel that Disney is way over market value, then you shouldn't give them your business. Until Disney parks and resort attendance is affected, Disney will continue to charge the prices they do. But as the previous poster stated, Disney was at near record crowds so the pricing is what people are willing to pay. Which is where my family falls in and any discount is just a bonus.

Discounts just add to a better customer experience. If I get one, all the better. I do not feel I am entitled to any discount and since our family vacations have had to be around Easter the past few years, we accept the pricing and the fact that we don't get the great discount someone going in September gets. A Disney experience is one I am willing to pay for.
I haven't seen any numbers to indicate record crowds. But if that it true it is because they did offer strong promos in 2012. I have no issue with the 2012 cost of a WDW vacation. They are attempting to significantly increase that cost for 2013. I'm merely stating I don't think that attempt will,work for them and I won't pay the prices that are being tossed around for 2013.

For comparison, we just spent 10 nights at Royal Pacific at Universal Orlando. We stayed club level, bought AP's, and ate like kings. Booked with their stay more save more promo. The cost of the trip was way less then any of our WDW stays, Royal Pacific is as nice or nicer than a Disney deluxe for the price of a Mod, food prices are significantly cheaper than Disney for the same or better quality of food. Disney TS food prices are actually the most overpriced thing at WDW, hence the impact of FD on their business. Overall I like WDW better, but I have no problem going to Universal again if the value is better.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #96
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwachter View Post
While I won't necessarily disagree about weaning back on the discounts they are giving, they are starting to price a lot of families about being able to go. It seems that they have started to get a little carried away with price increases on hotel rooms and dining. When the moderate hotels are over $200 a night for a room no better than a Holiday Inn, people start to ask "What am I really getting?"

They are a business and need to make money, but they also need to be careful not to start pushing certain families to stay outside of their resorts and spending more time at other parks.

As a business it is a fine balancing act that you have to play when pricing your services.
Yes there is that risk of course.And again they have been doing this balancing act in FL for 41 years now. If many 1st time families go in the off seasons it is IMO very affordable. Heavy discounts still on hotels (even value) Eat smart and lay off too many souvenirs and have fun. Tickets are usually the thing that people look at as being expensive.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #97
DonaldDuckFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I haven't seen any numbers to indicate record crowds. But if that it true it is because they did offer strong promos in 2012. I have no issue with the 2012 cost of a WDW vacation. They are attempting to significantly increase that cost for 2013. I'm merely stating I don't think that attempt will,work for them and I won't pay the prices that are being tossed around for 2013.

For comparison, we just spent 10 nights at Royal Pacific at Universal Orlando. We stayed club level, bought AP's, and ate like kings. Booked with their stay more save more promo. The cost of the trip was way less then any of our WDW stays, Royal Pacific is as nice or nicer than a Disney deluxe for the price of a Mod, food prices are significantly cheaper than Disney for the same or better quality of food. Disney TS food prices are actually the most overpriced thing at WDW, hence the impact of FD on their business. Overall I like WDW better, but I have no problem going to Universal again if the value is better.
I agree, if you find a better value somewhere else and your family enjoys, then by all means, go there. But we are on a Disney forum talking about Disney vacations and thanks to danny25, getting some inside scoop on upcoming discounts (Thanks danny25 for all the advanced information you provide . It helps me budget my vacations). I have family that just returned from Disney over Christmas and said it was packed (this is not in reference to the other posters comments about near record crowds) and Easter is always packed. Those weeks are the highest priced resort rates with typically no discount. People do pay the price. Until Disney attendance at resorts or parks is affected, they will continue to charge the way they do. I can either accept it and go, or not accept it and not go. If by you not going and others not going, forces Disney to change it's pricing, then I owe you a thank you. But, for now, the pricing is what is .
Offsite Feb 2004;AS Music April 2007;Coronado Springs March 2008;Port Orleans Riverside April 2009;POR February/March 2010;POR March/April 2011 ;Boardwalk Villas November 2011 (10th Anniversary celebration with DH );BWI March/April 2012; Beach Club March 2013; Christmas/NYE 2013 Polynesian/Boardwalk Inn; February 2014 Princess Half POP; Beach Club August 2014; BWI March 26th - April 4th 2015
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #98
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
You are correct if they can fill enough rooms at that price, I doubt they can. This "I appreciate everything they do" stuff makes you sound very brainwashed and almost cult like.
HaHa no Disney cult at this time (Is there one?) I have been vacationing for half a century and Disney is the only one that gets my $ continuously. They take my $ and build new things with it constantly which I love. Been to Hawaii 4 times. California a few (Disneyland of course) East coast-Niagara Falls and yes Canada a couple times. All are nice but they don't give you what a WDW trip gives you. If it's not right for you anymore than so be it.
Maybe Hockey will b e back soon and we can "discuss" that

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #99
DonaldDuckFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes there is that risk of course.And again they have been doing this balancing act in FL for 41 years now. If many 1st time families go in the off seasons it is IMO very affordable. Heavy discounts still on hotels (even value) Eat smart and lay off too many souvenirs and have fun. Tickets are usually the thing that people look at as being expensive.
Your comments just reminded of those episodes with Samantha Brown, "Disney on a Dime". Maybe they should start airing them again . I loved watching them.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #100
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Your comments just reminded of those episodes with Samantha Brown, "Disney on a Dime". Maybe they should start airing them again . I loved watching them.
Love watching her also. 2 trips ago (2010) we saw her filming in Animal Kingdom! Kinda cool seeing her up close

Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #101
allboyhouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw

But it's NOT Disney.......every time we have gone in the past we had free dining, and the last trip actually paid to upgrade to deluxe dining and still saved money over what we would have paid out of pocket BUT I have 3 pre-teen/teen boys who eat like it's their job. It's the best discount for us. I will be booking to return in May with the promo coming out Jan 3. I would not pay to upgrade to deluxe dining again because it's way overpriced now so I'll take whatever I can get. Im hoping a dining discount is released before then that will save us more money, but if not, we will pay oop and just not eat as well as we did last time. I will take whatever discount I can get because it's DISNEY I want. For us it's just a special vacation every couple years that no other place can match. .
allboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #102
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
The only way Disney will get the message is to stop making reservations in hope if a discount later. I think we are all shooting ourselves in the foot when we give Disney the message we will go no matter what. The changes to the dining plan next year are disappointing as well. My kids love the pre fix meals. I won't pay extra for them though!
I think your right. We don't book anymore without a discount. Because there is no advantage. Just because you have a room booked at rack rate, doesn't automatically guarantee you will get that room at a discount. You still have to call first thing when promo comes out to check availability. And if your chosen resort or room category is included in the promo.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #103
jimjenkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that is AWFUL of Disney to offer NOTHING for the Values?!? Especially when I would be paying over $300 per night for. Suite at AoA( at least that WAS the plan)?!?! Time to start looking off site....
we have found it better for us, a family of 6, to get 2 rooms(connecting) kids dont always like the pull out/down beds now that they are gettting bigger and it was cheaper for us to do 2 rooms than the suite! they do however get us a bit, we tend to only go around xmas season now. this year we checked in on the last day to get FD.

2014:Amazing Christmas vacation & 20th wedding anniversary -CBC, 2012:xmas-Pop century, 2010:CBC, 2008:ASMovie, 2000:Movies, 1999: sports, 1995:POF, 1984:Polly

jimjenkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #104
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's almost always a room available. Disney does not need to fill rooms to 100% cap!Would be nice but not needed in their bottom line. They have been there since 1971 running their parks and hotels and restaurants. Giving discounts when it is wise for them not for when a family of 4 is spending money elsewhere and then complaining that they got free dining last time and won't go again unless they get it again. Ridiculous. People should be appreciative of what they got in the past instead of what they are not getting now. And yes I only get to go once a year at best.
I am really happy with my discount. Got to upgrade from value to moderate for about 100 bucks more.

Ill just look at it as any extra money I had to spend because of some discount I didn't get I'm just paying for lower crowd levels. Ha!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #105
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HaHa no Disney cult at this time (Is there one?) I have been vacationing for half a century and Disney is the only one that gets my $ continuously. They take my $ and build new things with it constantly which I love. Been to Hawaii 4 times. California a few (Disneyland of course) East coast-Niagara Falls and yes Canada a couple times. All are nice but they don't give you what a WDW trip gives you. If it's not right for you anymore than so be it.
Maybe Hockey will b e back soon and we can "discuss" that
When you state it like that than I agree and understand. The be thankful and appreciate all Disney has done for me stuff is a little over the top.

And I think we will be able to talk about hockey very soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: