Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
dharma517
Mouseketeer

Lbgraves: I seriously doubt if 14 year old would know or care if my DD age 10 (10 months shy of the cut off age) was in the Edge. Really I think it is a maturity issue...some kids are ready and some kids are not. It isn't as cut or dry as date on a BC.
dharma517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma517 View Post
Lbgraves: I seriously doubt if 14 year old would know or care if my DD age 10 (10 months shy of the cut off age) was in the Edge. Really I think it is a maturity issue...some kids are ready and some kids are not. It isn't as cut or dry as date on a BC.
That's why they have the overlap in the ages between the groups.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
That's why they have the overlap in the ages between the groups.

Yes, but this is extending the overlaps even more, which makes the guidelines pointless. If they are going to keep extending the boundaries, then let the 18 yo HS kids back in the Vibe with their peers.

Also, the kids do know when there are younger kids in the group -- both in the Edge and the Vibe. Others have reported kids acting differently towards them, which is one reason DS doesn't want to be the youngest in the Vibe. Last cruise a 10 yo was kicked out of the Edge after being allowed to switch because of how she was acting. Everyone thinks that their kid is different. There have been posts recently asking if their "mature" teens can go to Palo. Last year the age limits were revised for a reason and IMO they should be stuck to. DD was not allowed to go to the Edge when she was 10 1/2. Fine, it was the rule. On every cruise we have been on there has not been the option for the kids to go back and forth between clubs -- they had to choose which one they would participate in for the week.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Yes, but this is extending the overlaps even more, which makes the guidelines pointless. If they are going to keep extending the boundaries, then let the 18 yo HS kids back in the Vibe with their peers.

Also, the kids do know when there are younger kids in the group -- both in the Edge and the Vibe. Others have reported kids acting differently towards them, which is one reason DS doesn't want to be the youngest in the Vibe. Last cruise a 10 yo was kicked out of the Edge after being allowed to switch because of how she was acting. Everyone thinks that their kid is different. There have been posts recently asking if their "mature" teens can go to Palo. Last year the age limits were revised for a reason and IMO they should be stuck to. DD was not allowed to go to the Edge when she was 10 1/2. Fine, it was the rule. On every cruise we have been on there has not been the option for the kids to go back and forth between clubs -- they had to choose which one they would participate in for the week.
I was replying to dharma517's comment about "some kids are ready and some kids are not. It isn't as cut or dry as date on a BC", not about how they don't seem to be following the established ages. Personally, I think the ages divisions are fine and should be followed.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

It's all very interesting. I also have the quite mature 12 year old who will be turning 13 on the last day of our cruise. If she makes friends with a 14 year old, I'm not so sure I want her trying to go to the Vibe...as their could be all 17 year old in there at the time, and no, she really should not be there. I'm hoping she will have friends to hang with in the Edge. Even in middle school, there is clear divisions between the 6, 7, and 8th graders.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
vacationsitis
Mouseketeer

Yes, age divisions are necessary & should be followed. As we would not want a 12 year old to hang out in Vibe with 17 year old & vice versa. Disney tries to do the best with age brackets.

We just got off the Fantasy & my 12 year old & 15 year old both had a good time. It is true that children worry about their siblings but it would be a good experience for them to develop friendships with kids of their own age from different parts of the world. My daughters still correspond with friends they met in 2008.
vacationsitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

My DS will be turning 14 about 2 weeks after we sail. I am wondering what option he will have when it comes to the Vibe. He will have completed middle school about to start HS. I want him to have a place to go when we do the adult stuff and not feel out of place. At the rate he is going, he will be 5'11"/6' when we sail. Not sure the Edge will be right for him but I do worry about the older kids in the Vibe!

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKP View Post
My DS will be turning 14 about 2 weeks after we sail. I am wondering what option he will have when it comes to the Vibe. He will have completed middle school about to start HS. I want him to have a place to go when we do the adult stuff and not feel out of place. At the rate he is going, he will be 5'11"/6' when we sail. Not sure the Edge will be right for him but I do worry about the older kids in the Vibe!
At 14 he can go to either Edge or Vibe. He should visit both places the first night and see how the "feel" is. In many cases, they will let someone in the overlap age start in one club and then switch to the other if they feel the first one isn't the right fit, but only once, no going back.

EDIT: Oops, I just re-read, he won't be 14 on the cruise. So, at 13, he would be in Edge. JMO, but with my sons, I'd have put them in Edge. If they didn't like it, well, that's something they were going to have to figure out. At 13, could he go to a movie or something by himself? In Edge he's able to come and go as he wants, so he won't be made to stay there while you're doing other things.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
At 14 he can go to either Edge or Vibe. He should visit both places the first night and see how the "feel" is. In many cases, they will let someone in the overlap age start in one club and then switch to the other if they feel the first one isn't the right fit, but only once, no going back.

He will be 2 weeks shy of 14. Do you think that will make a difference in going into the Vibe? It is a Med cruise & we only have 2 sea days. Plus every port day we will be off the ship almost the entire time. I just know we will do Palo brunch & dinner and at least one tasting class. I would hate for him to be stuck in the Edge because he isn't officially 14 yet.

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #25
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He will be 2 weeks shy of 14. Do you think that will make a difference in going into the Vibe? It is a Med cruise & we only have 2 sea days. Plus every port day we will be off the ship almost the entire time. I just know we will do Palo brunch & dinner and at least one tasting class. I would hate for him to be stuck in the Edge because he isn't officially 14 yet.
Personally, I'm a believer in playing by the rules. But, it may be possible for him to go up to Vibe, you'll have to check with the CMs the first night out and see if there is space and they are willing to let him in.

I will point out that, even at 14, freshman-type kids are low man on the totem pole with the High School group. Older teens just don't want "kids" in their space. Will he be OK with that?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Quote:
Usually when a kid is within 30 days of the cut-off date, there is no problem for them to go into the next club. I would inquire, and then send him to both the Vibe and the Edge to see where he feels comfortable. Every cruise is different, there might be a ton of 14 year olds in Vibe that week.
Have a great cruise!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma517 View Post
On our recent Fantasy cruise (12/8)we had our 4 children with us ages 3, 7, 10, and 11. My 10 and 11 year old girls wanted to be in the edge and not the Oceaneers club/lab. My 10 year old had just turned 10 in October. Both girls were allowed access to the Edge and OC/OL. So they both got the wrist trackers. In the edge you don't wear one of those trackers. My DH brought both girls up to the Edge on that first day and the CM promptly cut off those trackers and handed them to my DH with this statement. "You won't want them wearing these in here..they will be made fun of.". Now that is going above and beyond the call of duty! Disney rocks and they think of everything...truly!
I think the ability for your 10-yr-old to attend EDGE, as well as both kids going back-and-forth between EDGE and Club/Lab may have been specific to your cruise. That is not typical. Usually, a 10-yr-old is too young for EDGE as the overlap age is 11-12. Also, most cruisers are reporting their kids had to make a choice of which club and not have access to both for the duration of the cruise. DCL has made many modifications to the rules regarding access to the kids clubs in the past year, and they have been rather firm about the ages in each. That's not to say exceptions don't occur, but it's rare. I'm glad OP's family was happy to be accommodated but their experience should not be considered the norm.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
discorsner
DIS Veteran

On fantasy last June my son age 11 at the time was allowed to go in and out of edge or lab as he wanted. He did stuff in both. He had to have the Mickey band attached at the lab and it had to be off for the edge.
January 2014 Wilderness Lodge/Disney Dream June/July 2013 Beach Club Villas/ Vero Beach/ Disney Dream January 2013 Disney Wonder November 2012 Boardwalk June 2012 AKV/ Disney Fantasy/ SSR January 2012 Split stay Boardwalk/Grand Floridian September/October 2011 Port Orleans Riverside June/July 2011 Split stay CBR and Beach Club May 2010 First time to Disneyland!!!May 2010 Pop CenturyAugust 2009 Off Property Rental HouseMay 2009 POFQ/ Disney Wonder/ PolynesianMay 2008 Disney Wonder/ All-Star SportsMay 2006 All-Star Movies August 2002 Coronado SpringsMay 2002 Wilderness LodgeJanuary - May 1998 WDW College Program May 1996 Caribbean BeachAugust 1994 Off-Property- 1st trip to the World!
discorsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
madelyn
DIS Veteran

We are about to book on the Wonder and at the time of the sailing my boys will be 15 and 12 and my daughter will be 7. I read the age ranges for the clubs and thought that my 12 year old son would be allowed into the kids' clubs AND Edge but it looks like he has to pick one or the other. I was disappointed that my boys won't be able to be in a club together.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
Spurr002
Earning My Ears

Back on the Dream in 2011, in Vibe there was a boy who was a bit more than a month short of 14; he would try and slip in without being noticed, and eventually a CM would make him leave. By the third or fourth time his mother came and talked to the CM, because her son hangs out with older kids back home, is mature for his age, and would rather be in there. They wouldn't bend the rules for him due to his age being shy of the cut off, and he wasn't the happiest camper (nor his mother). As a 15 y/o I felt young in Vibe, even though 14 is the youngest allowed age. I would obviously try to include him should he have been allowed and wanted to be with the group of friends I made, but it would have been more awkward for us than for him. It would have been 10-12th graders trying to make an almost 9th grader feel welcomed.
Spurr002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: