Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We took one of our 4 DCL cruises on points and afterward realized what a terrrrrible waste of points it was. It was a 4 night summer cruise in a Cat. 10A on the Wonder (one of the SPH cabins). Later we realized we could've spent almost 3 weeks on land in studios at the parks for the same amount of points we used for just 4 nights!!! We had to bank the majority of our points in order to do it and were then "points deprived" for a year afterward and ended up booking CASH ressies for WDW (because we didn't want to start BORROWING). It was the longest year ever until our use year rolled around and we got re-stocked on points. I'll take 3 weeks vacation over 4 nights ANY TIME. We now re-book onboard for the discount and OBC and only pay cash for cruises. It's a much better value IMO. Lesson learned for us.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377

How long after booking did you transfer to DVC? I know you'll get a 10% point discount if you book 5 days after disembarking but is there a time limit on transfers to get discount?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I've done this as well. There's no limit to the time if you booked your cruise on board, as I believe the PP did. But if you don't book on board, then I believe it is 5 days after disembarking.

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanash1

I've done this as well. There's no limit to the time if you booked your cruise on board, as I believe the PP did. But if you don't book on board, then I believe it is 5 days after disembarking.
THANKS, Great to know! I'm sure most of our cruises will be on cash but when I have points I won't be using at WDW, dcl is a great alternative :-)

Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

I am points guy thats why I purchased them
If I had to pay cash I couldnt afford to go.
But that being said they keep creeping up the points it takes
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

This is our first cruise and we used points. I realized afterward if I had rented the points like I once did through a broker $10 a point. I could have paid for our cabin ( Deluxe with veranda ) plus our airfare with a little cash left over.That does not mean I feel like I made a big mistake. If you are doing it once in awhile who cares. But I definitely would not use my DVC points exclusively for cruising because then you are definitely not getting a good values for points. Part of our problem is the wife has a new job not a lot of vaca so we only go on a trip once a year. So if we don't use them we lose them.I felt very comfortable using points, and thats the point, how you feel about it.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
ajmercedes59
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377

How long after booking did you transfer to DVC? I know you'll get a 10% point discount if you book 5 days after disembarking but is there a time limit on transfers to get discount?

It was quite a while after booking when I did the transfer. I had even moved the original booking via online a couple of times before I decided to transfer to DVC points.
ajmercedes59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I joined after you couldn't use resale points to cruise. Because of that I bought direct. I wanted the option. Now I am interested in more points and the push to buy resale is heavy by those who don't believe in points for cruising. Still going to buy direct even though it's very $$. I love having more options. I will use points to cruise definitely. So far I've been paying case but at some point even paying for one person on points is worth paying less out of pocket.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmercedes59

It was quite a while after booking when I did the transfer. I had even moved the original booking via online a couple of times before I decided to transfer to DVC points.
Thanks! I have a dummy booked almost 2 years ago that has been moved once. May transfer that one over to a couples only cruise :-)

Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
6624Ng
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak
There are so many variables here. # of people? Time of year? Did you book on opening day? Category of room? Can you rent your points for cash, or go through a broker? Here are a couple of tips/thoughts

- As a PP mentioned if the points are expiring then use them
- Keep in mind there is a small fee, I believe it is still $95 to use the points for a cruise
- Cash for the cruise is almost always a better "value", however the points are meant to be used so inherently there is a kind of obligatory vacation with DVC or the points expire
- Some people do a mix they book some of the party with cash and some with points

We have done both and we have also considered renting points, however we only do that with people we know, we prefer not to go through a broker and have yet to try and book people through the forum. We just feel that the hassle of that is not worth the savings we would garner. However we usually just pay cash for the cruises and use the points for before and after stays.
Thanks much for the information. That is a great idea to use the points to stay before or afterwards. We might just do that instead. Thanks again.
6624Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
6624Ng
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the useful insight. I think we will go the route of paying and using the points toward maybe a stay before or afterwards at a resort. Guess if you don't use them, you lose them.
6624Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6624Ng
Thanks everyone for the useful insight. I think we will go the route of paying and using the points toward maybe a stay before or afterwards at a resort. Guess if you don't use them, you lose them.
We have used points for three cruises so far. Unless I rent them out we probably won't spend the cash for cruises. I may rent them and then pay cash for a Princess land/cruise to Alaska to offset that cost.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

I rented out two years of my points in 2011 when we took a cruise, and I'm in the process of renting out another two years of my points to pay for our cruise again in 2013!! This works out best for us since we wouldn't be doing a DVC vacation when we're doing a cruise, so the cash I get from the rental pays for our cruise and transportation!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

How does booking using cash and points work? I've got 320 points to use. The points are between 220-236 for the first two people each.....then it would be another 127, 127, and 118. Could I use all of my 320 points or just for the first person?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #29
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
THANKS, Great to know! I'm sure most of our cruises will be on cash but when I have points I won't be using at WDW, dcl is a great alternative :-)
I've never had "extra" points and probably never will. That said, it's not a good value, so we pay cash for our cruises.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
How does booking using cash and points work? I've got 320 points to use. The points are between 220-236 for the first two people each.....then it would be another 127, 127, and 118. Could I use all of my 320 points or just for the first person?

You will only be able to use the points for one person. They won't let you pay for part of the other person's fare with points and the rest cash. It's either all or nothing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: