Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
rzin
Earning My Ears

Question Is the Island Tour in Grand Cayman worth it?

We're cruising on the Disney Wonder Feb 11-16 out of Miami. One of our stops is Grand Cayman. We'd love to do an excursion - either the Island Tour and snorkelling with Stingrays at Stingray City or Rum Point Beach and Stingray City Snorkel.
I should also note that for our excursion in Cozumel we'll likely do the Catamaran and Beach Party...so we'll already have time at a beach. It's not imperative for us to have beach time at both excursions.
Main point I'm wondering about - Has anyone been on this Island Tour or Grand Cayman? Is it worth it? Are you basically stuck on the bus the entire time or do you have time to do some shopping and such? Trying to decide which excursion would be a better use of time at GC. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

The island tour has two main stops, and a quick stop at a beach for photo-ops (quick as in about five minutes!). The two main stops are at the Turtle Farm and Hell. While I would like to say these two stops are worth it, I can't. Don't get me wrong...we did enjoy the Island Tour simply because we were given the chance to see many areas of the island we would have not seen otherwise, and it was a relaxing way to kill a few hours. My issues with the two main stops are this - while the Turtle Farm sounds cute and all, what it really boils down to is that it contains holding pens for turtles bred and raised primarly for the meat market. Beyond that part, which was difficult for me to get over, the holding pens really are not conducive to a comfortable setting for the turtles. They are small and crowded; in addition the turtles have the added stress of people jockeying for position to pick them up and hold them. Others here will completely disagree with me on this, I'm sure...just my opinion.

As for Hell, it was definitely "cool" to say we had been there and we did mail postcards to our Moms from the post office there. Other than that, there is not much to it. I guess that could be seen as a good thing!

Both of those stops did have shops, and we spent a good amount of our time in the shops in and near the Turtle Farm. The shuttles at the end of the tour will let you off near an area of GC that has many shops to get your fill in, which we did after the tour!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
rzin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2
The island tour has two main stops, and a quick stop at a beach for photo-ops (quick as in about five minutes!). The two main stops are at the Turtle Farm and Hell. While I would like to say these two stops are worth it, I can't. Don't get me wrong...we did enjoy the Island Tour simply because we were given the chance to see many areas of the island we would have not seen otherwise, and it was a relaxing way to kill a few hours. My issues with the two main stops are this - while the Turtle Farm sounds cute and all, what it really boils down to is that it contains holding pens for turtles bred and raised primarly for the meat market. Beyond that part, which was difficult for me to get over, the holding pens really are not conducive to a comfortable setting for the turtles. They are small and crowded; in addition the turtles have the added stress of people jockeying for position to pick them up and hold them. Others here will completely disagree with me on this, I'm sure...just my opinion.

As for Hell, it was definitely "cool" to say we had been there and we did mail postcards to our Moms from the post office there. Other than that, there is not much to it. I guess that could be seen as a good thing!

Both of those stops did have shops, and we spent a good amount of our time in the shops in and near the Turtle Farm. The shuttles at the end of the tour will let you off near an area of GC that has many shops to get your fill in, which we did after the tour!
Thanks so much for the info! That helped a lot in our decision. We ended up booking just the stingray city snorkel tour (which is only about 1.5 hours) then we'll tour beaches and Georgetown on our own before heading back to the ship.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I don't know how much the tour is through DCL, but we did a tour on GC that we joined after getting off the ship for $10 each. The guy had a sign saying island tour $20 pp inside the gate. Outside the gate a few minutes later he was saying $15 pp. Down the street a bit he was saying $10 -- so we decided to try it. He filled up his bus pretty quickly and took us around the island. It was 1 1/2 - 2 hours and stopped at Hell, the dolphin place and he got us inside that right by the gate where the dolphins were so they came up to where we were, and the Rum factory. He did ask if anyone wanted to stop at one of the beaches along the way after those three stops. No one on the bus wanted this so he asked if we would like to see more of the island. He drove around showing us some of the older buildings, churches and schools [which was nice for the kids to see].

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand cayman, island tour, wonder ship

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: