Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

HELP! FQ or POLY

I am the most indecisive person even I know....Background, for the past few years we have either stayed FQ or POLY, with the last 2 visits, past 2 years staying at POLY. I LOVE the monorail, the rooms I have to say need need to be refurbished, not worth the DELUXE cost BUT besides the point they are clean, just a throwback. I love the balcony, and overlooking the lake...Pool is CROWDED and not so big, my DS 12 is ok with it.

The FQ, love the small quaint feeling, love the jazz musician, the size of the pool is nice, the SLIDE I feel my son has outgrown it. I know I could walk to Riverside if i needed. I prefer actually the food court at FQ over Poly. But I didn't come to eat so its not a deal breaker. The money I save for staying at FQ, is always a plus..

I tried Contemporary but it is booked, along with Bay Lake. I am not so sure on Grand Floridian. Especially with the construction going on and the closures to the resort area...If you haven't guessed I prefer the Magic Kingdom resorts...

I loved Yacht Club but my son developed a rash from the sand last time we stayed and well the rash wasn't fun, poor kid! Allergies not fun...

Wilderness reminds us of our home town area....Boardwalk yeah not loving the clowns....So doesn't leave much..

So please offer pros/cons to POLY and FQ...Any recent visits...Tell me again why you love those resorts, your thoughts...My poor travel agent is going to ring my neck because I need to book by tomorrow and I don't know which place to stay...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

Love the Boardwalk. Thought I would hate the clown, but once I was actually ON the pool deck, it didn't seem that bad. In fact, it was kind of cute. I know - gasp!

It sounds like you have a lot of pros and cons with each of the resorts you are considering, so I guess you just have to decide which has the most pros. I do love POFQ and think its a great resort. The Poly is lovely, too.

If you want to try the Contemp you could just have your TA keep checking for availability. Or try a split stay between the contemp and the Poly.

Good luck with your decision.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

We have never stayed at the Poly, but would love to. Have to admit we love FQ, and would return. Another thought is POR? They just refurbished, many of same pros as FQ and less expensive then the Poly. Just a thought.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
nancy01
Earning My Ears

We've stayed at both. I really loved both for different reasons. You can't beat being on the monorail at the Poly, especially if you visit MK and EP a lot. My kids preferred the pool at the Poly because of the slide. We also loved watching the fireworks from the Poly beach.

I also prefer the food court at FQ over the one at Poly and the boat to DTD is a nice bonus. Now that they both offer queen beds, I didn't feel that the rooms at Poly were worth the price difference. One annoyance with FQ is the buses, it is really hit or miss.

Our family has outgrown the FQ so we are looking at booking a preferred room at POR for our next trip. I like their pool better for older kids and there is so much to do there like fishing and renting bikes or boats. You can still use the FQ amenities and vice versa.

If money was no object I'd probably still pick Poly, but the price difference is too huge for me to be worth it.

I know how hard it is to make a decision, good luck! And feel free to ask any other questions. We've also stayed at the BC if that helps.
nancy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

would go with POFQ - and wait until the monorail is really fixed to go back to a monorail resort.

being stuck on a monorail is not fun.

even if the bus breaks down - although never remember seeing a WDW bus break down - another will arrive shortly

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at, and love, both resorts. For our upcoming trip in March, we are paying for my parents' room too, so we are returning to POFQ. I considered CSR, but went by it during our Christmas trip and decided it wasn't for us. We will love POFQ and have a great time--have reservations for Downtown Disney for our arrival night. Otherwise, though, we don't frequent DD much during our trips.

If money were no object, I'd choose the Poly most of the time. But we are not park commandos--we swim every day and enjoy the balconies in our deluxe resort stays morning and evenings. If I had a quick parks heavy trip planned, I'd save the $$ and go back to POFQ.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've never stayed at POFQ, but we love the Poly. We love the tropical atmosphere, the large rooms, the beach for watching the fireworks, and Captain Cooks is our favorite resort CS. Plus it's very convenient being so close to the GF and CR for a variety of dining and shopping options. With that said, the Poly would be my choice.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: