Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
ceopamom3
Mouseketeer

Galveston Hotel Help - want to arrive early at port - walk, shuttle or taxi?

Hello!

I am cruising with my three teenage children in January. I need a suite type room (3 places to sleep) or two rooms. I am really stuggling with what hotel to stay at the night before the cruise. I would also like to get to port very early the day we sail.

We are staying in Texas for a day or two after the cruise as well. So I might rent a car for the duration of the trip as well.

That said, could we really walk to port (with luggage for an 8 day cruise - it all rolls) from the Tremont or Harbour House? If I want to get to port by 10:30 a.m. (latest), will a hotel shuttle work, or will I need a taxi? What time do parking facilities open by port - we sail on a Tuesday - could I park at 10:00 a.m.?

Budget is not a huge issue for us - I am more about convenience and quality. My teenage sons also need some food in the morning - so we'll need access to a restaurant or at least a continental offering.

Thank you! I have cruised from Port Canaveral several times, and I am struggling significantly with accomodations in Galveston.

Christine
ceopamom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

While walking is really a personal thing (I can ruck all over the place with a plethora of stuff in tow; my wife wouldn't dream of such a thing), you'd be looking at about a half-mile walk from either hotel to the cruise terminal.

I'd check with wherever you'd be parking, but I'd expect they're open by 10. I personally wouldn't want to be paying for a rental car and then parking for said rental car, just for it to sit in a lot...but I can understand wanting the flexibility.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

We have 5 people so we are staying at the Comfort Suites Galveston. Our room has two queens and a sleeper sofa. We paid $99 for the room, includes breakfast, and it's $30 (total for all 5 of us) for a shuttle round trip to the port and we can leave our van at the hotel during the cruise. We found this to be our best option.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the harbor house and walked 5 minutes to the terminal. A huge suitcase and tote bag each. It was awesome just to be that close to the port and not have to worry about transportation.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
ceopamom3
Mouseketeer

Sounds like Harbour House is a good choice!

I appreciate all replies. I was leaning toward the Harbour House, and with this guidance - I'll book it tonight.

We are a family of walkers, and I have two strapping teenage sons that can help if my daughter and I have a few extra pieces of luggage!

I think we'll take a car service as well and forego the rental car. One less thing to worry about...

Thanks again! 18 days to go!

Christine
ceopamom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: