Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Hi guys! We'll be cruising the Fantasy next March... I've never done a FE and thought its a cute idea!! I've noticed quite a few posts about door magnets getting stolen though... :/ this got me thinking - how easy it is for guests to take FE gifts as well!

Really, no one would really know - but has anyone noticed any FE gifts missing or items missing later on in the day? unfortunately, we can't trust everyone - even on a DC another thing - how often do you empty the items out into your stateroom? Several times a day? Nightly?

Thanks everyone!

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
ohanaMAMA
DIS Veteran

I always emptied my fe everytime I noticed anything in there... I guess you wouldnt know if someone stole something from your fe though.. so sad that people cant be trusted not to take things that arent thiers isnt it? I cant imagine stealing things like that!
08' Mommy and Daddy ALONE on the WONDER!
'10 POR took our niece Patience with us!
'12 POFQ with the Reeses and the Stickles

ohanaMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWChloe View Post

. . . how easy it is for guests to take FE gifts as well!

Sadly there are people who take FE gifts.

. . . how often do you empty the items out into your stateroom? Several times a day? Nightly?

I check my FE every time I leave or return to the cabin.
Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Spurr002
Earning My Ears

If you custom-make magnets for your stateroom door, put your room number somewhere on the front. That way anybody eyeballing your magnets would go on a guilt trip knowing that another stateroom's number is on it. Or if you're participating in a FE exchange and you know other people's room numbers, put them on too.
Spurr002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

We checked it often. Sometimes you can hear people giggling/talking outside the door. It's very cute.

What I did learn from the veterans here is this. On one cruise I couldn't figure out why I ran out of my gifts only after 2 floors! I had a list prior to sailing that I used to make them and made - maybe 10 extras. I did not bring that list onboard. Nor did write the cabin numbers on the tag that I wrote a lil poem...would have been easier if I did.

It dawned on me...oh, while I was delivering gifts a man said "so, if I put a bag up I will get some too?" We just laughed. But then it made sense to me. I would never not put a gift in grocery bag, I'd just assume they were part of the group.

Now I see why some people put our cabin number on their gift/tags (like Spurr002) or probably were smarter than me and carried their FE stateroom number list.

I just went around like it was Halloween and ran out and was so disappointed and couldn't figure it out until I posted that here.

Hope this will help someone.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 12-31-2012 at 03:56 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi guys! We'll be cruising the Fantasy next March... I've never done a FE and thought its a cute idea!! I've noticed quite a few posts about door magnets getting stolen though... :/ this got me thinking - how easy it is for guests to take FE gifts as well!

Really, no one would really know - but has anyone noticed any FE gifts missing or items missing later on in the day? unfortunately, we can't trust everyone - even on a DC another thing - how often do you empty the items out into your stateroom? Several times a day? Nightly?

Thanks everyone!
We checked everytime we went to our cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
We checked it often. Sometimes you can hear people giggling/talking outside the door. It's very cute.

What I did learn from the veterans here is this. On one cruise I couldn't figure out why I ran out of my gifts only after 2 floors! I had a list prior to sailing that I used to make them and made - maybe 10 extras. I did not bring that list onboard. Nor did write the cabin numbers on the tag that I wrote a lil poem...would have been easier if I did.

It dawned on me...oh, while I was delivering gifts a man said "so, if I put a bag up I will get some too?" We just laughed. But then it made sense to me. I would never not put a gift in grocery bag, I'd just assume they were part of the group.

Now I see why some people put our cabin number on their gift/tags (like Spurr002) or probably were smarter than me and carried their FE stateroom number list.

I just went around like it was Halloween and ran out and was so disappointed and couldn't figure it out until I posted that here.

On our last cruise I noticed another group doing FE but they were not part of our DIS FE group. I then learnt that FE are not exclusive to DIS.
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
On our last cruise I noticed another group doing FE but they were not part of our DIS FE group. I then learnt that FE are not exclusive to DIS.
On our WBTA we participated in 2 FE groups. Here and another board. There were some people (like us) who were in both groups, most were in one or the other.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

We noticed that we lost things late at night. We came back to the cabin at 11 with our little one asleep so we thought we'd leave it for him to find in the morning only it was gone by morning.

Just a suggestion but I think deliveries in the morning or afternoon work a little better. Later in the evenings more of the teens and Tweens are out in groups and if people go into the cabin with little ones in the evening they are less likely to go out and see the delivery before morning.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Thanks so much everyone!!
I'm also nervous about purchasing a nicer FE on Etsy, afraid someone will take it... even though it will be customized... I guess I'm just paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
Honestly, I thought it was just a random prize handout! I had no idea it was [mainly] organized by the DIS until a few months ago

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster

I'll be hanging an FE but not participating in the dis exchange. First, our cruise is a surprise for our kids. I figured it will be very difficult to buy/make and hide gifts for 30+ cabins but I can for a couple so we (a group of friends that met on our first cruise) organized a very small (3 cabins only, lol) exchange for just us. Second, both of my kids have bdays that week. I want to leave small surprises for them throughout the week.

I hope I don't get random gifts cause then I'll feel really bad for not leaving a gift for them. I've always followed a list and it never occurred to me that others may not.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Disneyland Aug/03
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt Western w/my honey
Disneyland Paris Sept/13 w/my honey; Mar/14

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone!!
I'm also nervous about purchasing a nicer FE on Etsy, afraid someone will take it... even though it will be customized... I guess I'm just paranoid

Honestly, I thought it was just a random prize handout! I had no idea it was [mainly] organized by the DIS until a few months ago
I never heard of someone having their FE stolen. I don't think you should be worried getting one from ETSY, I don't think someone would steal a personalized FE.

I only heard about magnets and maybe some FE gifts disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
I'll be hanging an FE but not participating in the dis exchange. First, our cruise is a surprise for our kids. I figured it will be very difficult to buy/make and hide gifts for 30+ cabins but I can for a couple so we (a group of friends that met on our first cruise) organized a very small (3 cabins only, lol) exchange for just us. Second, both of my kids have bdays that week. I want to leave small surprises for them throughout the week.

I hope I don't get random gifts cause then I'll feel really bad for not leaving a gift for them. I've always followed a list and it never occurred to me that others may not.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Our first cruise was a surprise cruise, I was able to get all the FE gifts without the kids knowing. They had a blast delivering the stuff for other and checking multiple times a day for surprises.
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Hubby brought a zip tie and secured our FE with it. Then he just pulled it off (he is pretty strong and we had no scissors) at the end of the cruise.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #13
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Hubby brought a zip tie and secured our FE with it. Then he just pulled it off (he is pretty strong and we had no scissors) at the end of the cruise.
We zip tie ours too. Bring small scissors. The room attendants have scissors too.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #14
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

I didn't put any of our "received" magnets on the outside of the door, just the inside. DS5 loved them just as much that way, and we didn't have to worry about any of them walking away, since many were "personalized" to the cruise. Reading what others in our group gave, I have realized that I probably did have gifts get stolen, since there are somethings that we definitely did not receive.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: