Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Toebiz
Earning My Ears

Fantasyland expansion vs Harry potter? Which one to choose.

We only have one afternoon in Orlando coming up in February on a cruise stop. Which place should we visit? We have been to magic kingdom before but never to islands of adventure. We have a 4 year old son. Is the fantasyland expansion worth it or should we go to islands of adventure since we have never been there before?
Toebiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

If the Fantasyland expansion was truly complete I would lean that way but the seven dwarves coaster is still under construction.Since you have never been to IOA I would probably suggest you visit there,however since IOA has more rides geared to older kids there might not be enough for your 4 year old,there is the Seuss landing area,the smaller roller coaster in the Potter area,the playground area in Jurassic Park with the Pterenadon Flyers and a few other things so there are things there along with Potter and all the major attractions like Spider Man,research the park and see if you would rather visit it now or do MK again and wait until your son is a bit older.If you can't decide go with Sea World if you've never been,it's a park everyone loves and has plenty of things for everybody.
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

4 year old - think the MK wins.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toebiz View Post
We only have one afternoon in Orlando coming up in February on a cruise stop. Which place should we visit? We have been to magic kingdom before but never to islands of adventure. We have a 4 year old son. Is the fantasyland expansion worth it or should we go to islands of adventure since we have never been there before?
Where do you want to go? Your child will be happy either way.

For only 1 afternoon, I would likely skip going to a theme park and just go to Downtown Disney
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
mmmhf
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toebiz
We took my DD (4) and DS (3) to Islands of Adventure and they liked it as well as Disney. There are many rides they cannot do but rider swap made it pretty quick. My children loved the Seuss land, pteranodon flyers (near the Jurassic park ride) and Flight of the Hippogriff in HP. We were visiting for a one week trip and the kids actually I begged to go back to IOA. We had a great time and I would not hesitate to take them back. It was hard for them on the rides they had to sit out on, but a great family experience.
mmmhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

With a child that age there should be no question that it is the Magic Kingdom. I love IOA but for a 4 year old it has to be Disney!
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

If it were just adults, or older kids, I'd say the Potterverse hands down. Having seen them both, I think it is much more impressive than New Fantasyland. However, with a 4 year old, I'd be inclined to go to MK instead.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

With a 4 year old....... MK. But, the Harry Potter theme is incredible. And the butterbeer (I would suggest frozen) is reason to go alone. So, for you Harry Potter, for your 4 year old MK (but 4 year old would probably love the butterbeer). He'll like honeydukes (candy store themed via Harry Potter). Anyway, have fun!
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

If it was a 4 year old daughter, I would say MK. For a 4 year old son, I would say IOA. He would probably love the Jurassic Park discovery centre with all the dinosaurs, Marvel Heroes with the superheros and Suessland with its rides. Probably would be less busy as well and you'd get more done.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote