Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Cocoa Beach...

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has stayed in Cocoa Beach (right near Port Canaveral) before or after their cruise!?

DH and I like the look of it, but would love some thoughts and opinions from people who have been there...

We're thinking of staying there for 3 nights after our Disney Dream cruise next November. The hotels and beach look quite nice and reasonably priced too...

Would love any feedback! Thanks everybody!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2006 trip report - Two Aussie First-Timers in Disney!
My 2009 dining report - Our delicious Disney deluxe dining adventures!
My 2009 trip report - Laughter, Tears & Screams - Two Aussies in Disney World!
AussieAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
robyn654
Mouseketeer

Raddisson

We have stayed twice at the raddisson, it's clean, close to the port and has a nice pool. Offers shuttles to the port. You can leave ur car at the hotel while u cruise. Last year we stayed in a one room suite with a fridge and sitting area and 1 bed room, if I remember right it was right around 120$ but worth it when u factor in parking at the port.

[/url]
robyn654 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
robyn654
Mouseketeer

Opps

Sorry I miss read ur post, I have never stayed at the beach

[/url]
robyn654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
BeeTeacher
Mouseketeer

Cocoa Beach is a real nice little town--I grew up there and go "home" as often as I can. For things to do I would highly reccomend The Kennedy Space Center which I believe is a 2-day pass for the price you pay (it was when we last went, but it has been a while). Ron Jon Surf Shop is also a must-do, its the original tourist destination store. The pier and the beaches around it get kind of crowded, if you want a public beach with access, rest rooms, etc Lori Wilson or Jetty Park are good. Jetty park is nice as the cruise ships pass by pretty close.

If you have Dinosaur lovers there is a dinosaur store which is neat, and the Surf Museum is also in Cocoa Beach. But, the biggest attraction in cocoa beach is indeed the BEACH--its the East Coast Surfing Capital.

For casual dining away from the port I reccomend Florida Seafood, Coconuts, or The Pig n' Whistle (British cuisine).

1st Cruise 3 night DISNEY DREAM 2/2/12
Trip Report Our First Cruise
WDW: Too many times to count!

BeeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Ooh, thanks so much to both of you!

Robyn654, we really liked the look of the pool at the Radisson, but as you said, we were hoping for something right on the beach... Thanks for your help though!

BeeTeacher, thanks so much for your tips too! It's great to hear Cocoa Beach is a nice little town... That's what we were hoping for! I like the look of the shopping area and the beaches of course. Do you have any recommendations for good hotels on the beach? We've been looking at the DoubleTree... It seems nice but doesn't have an overly exciting pool!

We also looked at the Ron Jon Cape Caribe resort and that looks fun, but has mixed reviews.

It will just be me, DH and our 7 month old baby so we were hoping for something pretty central and close to the beach / shops with a nice pool! We've been to KSC twice before so we're not planning on heading back there... It will really be just a nice quiet beach holiday to finish our trip before we fly back to Australia.

Thanks again!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
SunLuvr321
Mouseketeer

Before we moved down here we stayed at The Resort on Cocoa Beach. It has suites with a kitchen so it can be more on the expensive side, but it does have a nice pool area (including a splash area) and is on the beach. When relatives come down to visit they seem to stay mostly at Double Tree or Hampton Inn. Both are on the beach. I have only heard good things about them.

If you have a car, I would recommend eating at one of the restaurants on the Port (Rusty's, Grill's, Fishlips, or Baja). They have seating on the water and you can watch the ships go by. If you are lucky you can sometimes see dolphins swimming by.

2/2013-Disney Dream ~ 9/2009-Carnival Sensation
SunLuvr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Best Western there in October. It wasn't technically on the beach, but our room was about a one minute walk to the beach. (There is a path leading to the beach right next to the hotel.) We stayed there as they offered 40% off parking at the port when you stayed there. We LOVED the beach. We were a bit iffy about the hotel. It wasn't bad, just not what I expected. The room did have a mini kitchen area. I believe the hotel is in the midst of renovations. Come to think of it, maybe some of the rooms are off the beach. It seemed that the hotel had three different buildings. I would have preferred a hotel with interior corridors instead of exterior entrances to all of the rooms. There was a free breakfast, but it was in a different building than we were staying in. We also got a special package with discounted space center tickets.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

We stayed at Doubletree on Cocoa Beach, and it was very nice! We had a room on the ocean side with a balcony overlooking the beach and the ocean. Beautiful view! And they have private access to the beach. Just walk out of the lobby and past the pool, and you're on the beach! We haven't stayed there since 2003, but it looks like they still get good reviews.

ETA: The pool is relatively small and isn't really anything to write home about, but it was clean and nice. We honestly only used it once during the few days we were there, and it was at night when it was too late to be at the beach. We spent our days on the beach and doing things around town.

Last edited by ChrizJen; 12-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.
ChrizJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
stlkeeler
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Doubletree! We stayed there one night before our cruise last summer. The room was clean and very comfortable. Had no problems. My daughter and granddaughter spent a few hours at the beach and had a great time. I don't think they went to the pool so I can't say anything about that.
2000-June HAL Rotterdam 12 day Baltic+London & Paris 2008-June DCL 4 day Bahama Double Dip 2009-May DCL 7 day Western 2010-April DCL 14 day EBTA 2011-June DCL 5 day Bahama Double Dip 2012-May Carnival Dream 7 day Eastern+2 days WDW Pop Century
stlkeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
The Lorax
Impossible is nothing

Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach

My DW and I stayed at the Hampton Inn in 2011 the day before we cruised. It was clean and confortable, the hotel has only ocean view rooms since each room is the width of the hotel, just be sure you are at least on the 4th floor or higher since there are some single family homes between the hotel and beach.
I am not certain if I would stay more than 1 or 2 nights here since the amenities are hotel class rahter than what you would expect from a full resort. However the beach is accesssible via a short path behind the pool. It is well lit as my DW and I ate a beach bar near the pier and walked back to the hotel. It was a perfect way to begin our cruise vacation.

We booked a fly & cruise package - Travel Lynx picked us up a MCO, took us to the hotel and then to the cruise terminal the next morning. We spent less than 8 waking hours in the Cocoa Beach area. But we felt comfortable and bought some cruise essential items from the nearby Ron Jon surf shop.

03/01/2014 7-Night Western Caribbean - Fantasy
The Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
policycobb
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Cocoa Beach on N Atlantic Ave in July 2011 after our cruise. It is a few blocks from the beach, within walking distances. It was nice . We also stayed at the La Quinta Inn Oceanfront on Hendry Ave in July of 2012 which is right on the beach before our cruise. Great location. Our room was clean and faced the ocean. We used Cocoa Beach Shuttle for both trips.

policycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

let me throw you a curve ball

how about a really really nice B&B a little bit farther south . . .

http://www.windemereinn.com/index.shtml

Spend the day on "our" beach, sleep to the sound of the surf, and awaken to a Gourmet Breakfast.

Guest rooms are furnished in antiques and contemporary furnishings, poster beds and fine linens

I'd say this is still "Cocoa Beach area" while officially it is in Indianlantic, about 20 miles south of the port on A1A, just south of 192. Off the tourist beach areas (aka you may not see anyone else on the beach), but if you like you can walk the beach north from here to Cocoa with no obstructions (10+ miles). Plenty of good (+) food in the area - but away from the main tourist areas. VERY nice rooms. VERY nice staff. VERY nice breakfast.

This is where we stayed when we came hunting for our retirement home. Traveling as far as you are, go for the 'good stuff'.

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command

Last edited by Capt_BJ; 12-31-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Oooh, thank you everybody for your advice and suggestions! You've given us a lot to think about!

We won't have a car and don't really want to hire one... We're from Australia so driving on the 'wrong' side of the road with a 7 month old baby in the back doesn't sound much like a relaxing vacation! That's why we really wanted to stay somewhere quite central, so we could walk to shops / restaurants, etc.

We looked at La Quinta Inn Oceanfront too, and quite like the look of it...

Decisions, decisions!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
BeeTeacher
Mouseketeer

So many of the hotels have changed names since I lived there. I will say that since there is no more room to build in cocoa beach really, there is not much opportunity for newer resorts. Everything is older, remodeled, etc. The Resort at cocoa Beach is a good choice although it might be pricey. We have had friends stay at Ron Jon Cape Caribe, and it was nice and they loved it. This property is not actually owned by Ron Jon, they just license the name I believe.

The Doubletree is close to the shopping center that has a Publix and some other stores. If you don't have a rental this hotel or the nearby Hampton Inn would be good choices. Most hotels in CB are not going to have indoor halls, just the nature of a beach property.

One thing that surprises me is that Disney has not built a resort hotel in the Cocoa Beach/Cape canaveral area.

1st Cruise 3 night DISNEY DREAM 2/2/12
Trip Report Our First Cruise
WDW: Too many times to count!

BeeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
slindamood
DIS Veteran

I second LaQuinta.

We are in Cocoa Beach right now - stayed here after a cruise and have come back for 10 years.

You won't need a car at La Q, has great beach a nd pier access, walk to grocery, and even decent bus service a block away.
Of all the hotels mentioned, LaQ is best for beach and no car.
November 2007 Thanksgiving Wonder
August 2007 Westbound Transatlantic Magic
November 2005 Thanksgiving Wonder
December 2002 pre-Christmas Magic
December 2001 Christmas Magic
DVC member since 1998 - BoardWalk Villas
slindamood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: