Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #61
crystaldawn
Mouseketeer

Glad I found this thread. We are looking at renting a townhouse in October. We've stayed on site and were considering Bonnet Creek (again) this year... but rates seem to have gone up and since we usually only get a 2 bedroom we are thinking the 3 bedroom townhome would be best for space

I'm waiting for a few quotes and hope to be booking this week. Thanks for all the info!
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #62
auprincess
DIS Veteran

We are thinking of doing a non-disney trip ~ a day or two at Seaworld, Aquatica, and a couple of days at a beach. Is Windsor Hills a good choice? Anyone know how far it is from Sea World?
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #63
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
We are thinking of doing a non-disney trip ~ a day or two at Seaworld, Aquatica, and a couple of days at a beach. Is Windsor Hills a good choice? Anyone know how far it is from Sea World?
Still a good choice. We've gone to Sea World and Universal from Windsor Hills. Driving time would be about the same as if you were driving from a Disney resort or anywhere in the Lake Buena Vista area. Sea World shouldn't take much more than 15 minutes, Universal about 20-25.

To get to Sea World/Universal, you would need to get to I-4. Getting there isn't bad, but I-4 can be very busy during the morning rush hour, so you should keep that in mind.

The east coast beaches (Daytona, Cocoa) are about an hour away, gulf beaches probably closer to 1.5 hours.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #64
skw444
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear all the positive comments. We usually stay onsite but 8 days in a small room just doesn't sound appealing anymore with our kids getting older, so I started looking offsite. 3br condo for $422 for the week just can't be beat! We're not going until September but I'm looking forward to it!

9/07 POFQ w/free Dining
9/08 POFQ w/free Dining
9/11 POFQ w/free Dining
9/13 Windsor Hills
4/14 Bonnet Creek
skw444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #65
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

How,and where do you book stays at Windsor Hills? Is there more than one place you can book?Thanks in advance!
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #66
Kitkat6595
Mouseketeer

I used vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner). We found a great two bedroom condo that we are excited to check out in June!

Previous Trips
May 1987 - off-site
March 1996 - off-site
March 2003 - off-site
June 2013 - off-site, Windsor Hills
Kitkat6595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #67
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
How,and where do you book stays at Windsor Hills? Is there more than one place you can book?Thanks in advance!
vacationcentralflorida.com is another good place to book, IF you can stay Saturday to Saturday.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #68
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

First time at WH this June

I was thrilled to find this thread and have learned a lot from it already. Thanks to all! It is our first time staying off site and I am constantly second guessing my decision. The idea of paying $400+ a night to cram all of us in one room again seemed crazy when compared to what I could get at WH. We are renting a 3 bdr townhouse for 9 nights from Story Time Orlando Rentals for our late June trip. They seem to have good reviews, but I am worried about how the townhouse will compare to the website pictures, their cleanliness, quality of bedding, etc. You always end up hearing a horror story or two! Did anyone stay with them who can provide some feedback? I am also concerned about losing our midday rest at the resort. When staying onsite, we would go back to the BWI around 2:00 for a break and head back to the parks at 5:30ish. I cannot see being able to leave the park for a few hours and then return later while staying at WH. Did anyone attempt it?

FiveofusNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #69
Missy29
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at WH twice and both times rented from themagicorlandorental.com and found both stays to be very pleasant. Rita always got right back with me when I emailed or called her. There are maybe 5/6 townhouses to choose from in that website. I love WH and can't wait to go back next year!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #70
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveofusNL View Post
I was thrilled to find this thread and have learned a lot from it already. Thanks to all! It is our first time staying off site and I am constantly second guessing my decision. The idea of paying $400+ a night to cram all of us in one room again seemed crazy when compared to what I could get at WH. We are renting a 3 bdr townhouse for 9 nights from Story Time Orlando Rentals for our late June trip. They seem to have good reviews, but I am worried about how the townhouse will compare to the website pictures, their cleanliness, quality of bedding, etc. You always end up hearing a horror story or two! Did anyone stay with them who can provide some feedback? I am also concerned about losing our midday rest at the resort. When staying onsite, we would go back to the BWI around 2:00 for a break and head back to the parks at 5:30ish. I cannot see being able to leave the park for a few hours and then return later while staying at WH. Did anyone attempt it?
As per bolded, we have done it, and except for MK find the trips about the same as waiting for the buses and traveling to an on property resort. Just make sure you know the Sherberth Rd. route.
Donna
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #71
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnainnj View Post
...Just make sure you know the Sherberth Rd. route.
Well said; especially at rush hour!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #72
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnainnj View Post
As per bolded, we have done it, and except for MK find the trips about the same as waiting for the buses and traveling to an on property resort. Just make sure you know the Sherberth Rd. route.
Donna
Thanks! I am going to look the Sherberth Rd. route up on google maps. I think with MK, we will leave for a longer break and go back later in the evening for the fireworks. Maybe leave at 2:30 and not head back until about 7:30 or so. Make the break worth the hastle.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #73
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveofusNL View Post
Thanks! I am going to look the Sherberth Rd. route up on google maps....
Just so ya know: Going to Disney from Windsor Hills, you'd exit WH at the main gate, make a left onto Old Lake Wilson Rd., then left on Morgan Williams Rd (it may not be marked, but its a left where Old Lake Wilson curves to right), then first left onto Funie Steed Rd., then first right onto Entry Point Blvd., which becomes Sherberth Rd after you cross US 192. (if you're looking at a map, you might think Morgan Williams would be a good place to come out on US-192, but there's no light there). Follow Sherberth to the first light, then make a right. At that point, you're in the Disney road system, so follow the purple signs. This all may sound a little complicated, but its really pretty simple and intuitive.

Coming back from anywhere at Disney: follow signs for Animal Kingdom, then as you get close to Animal Kingdom stay left and follow signs for Animal Kingdom Lodge. When you get to the traffic light before the Lodge (first light after you pass AK), make a left. That'll be Sherberth Rd. Cross 192, then first left onto Funie Steed, then right on Morgan Williams and then you're back on Old Lake Wilson, which takes you right to Windsor Hills.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #74
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
Just so ya know: Going to Disney from Windsor Hills, you'd exit WH at the main gate, make a left onto Old Lake Wilson Rd., then left on Morgan Williams Rd (it may not be marked, but its a left where Old Lake Wilson curves to right), then first left onto Funie Steed Rd., then first right onto Entry Point Blvd., which becomes Sherberth Rd after you cross US 192. (if you're looking at a map, you might think Morgan Williams would be a good place to come out on US-192, but there's no light there). Follow Sherberth to the first light, then make a right. At that point, you're in the Disney road system, so follow the purple signs. This all may sound a little complicated, but its really pretty simple and intuitive.

Coming back from anywhere at Disney: follow signs for Animal Kingdom, then as you get close to Animal Kingdom stay left and follow signs for Animal Kingdom Lodge. When you get to the traffic light before the Lodge (first light after you pass AK), make a left. That'll be Sherberth Rd. Cross 192, then first left onto Funie Steed, then right on Morgan Williams and then you're back on Old Lake Wilson, which takes you right to Windsor Hills.
Perfect! Thanks. This is a great help. We have never driven while in Orlando and appreciate all the tips we can get. I will take a look at a map to familiarize myself with these streets we go down. Do you know a good route to Universal Studios by any chance???

Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #75
Adrieske
Mouseketeer

Do most of the units have a washer dryer? I have seen several listings that say washer/dryer facilities, but it wasn't clear if that was on property or in the unit itself. I like to only pack a few outfits for each person, then throw them in the washer at night, dryer in the morning, and head out for the day. I stress about packing and unpacking. (just unpacked today from a weekend trip last weekend.)

Kidani - AKL Jan. 17-24 2010
POR - Royal Room - Sept. 9-18 2013
Celebrating our DD's 5th birthday
DH, Me, DD (8), DD (5), DS (2)
Adrieske is offline   Reply With Quote