Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
roxannex
Maleficenterrific

Christmas Without Disney (and Universal)

Hi,
We are thinking about a Christmas trip to Orlando because we're looking for somewhere warm. Other choices are Miami and the Caribbean (which we know will be warmer). But we can always get such good hotel bang for the buck in Orlando and there are so many entertainment options, it's hard to pass up.

But since we want to go right at Christmastime (we're Jewish so this isn't a big deal for us), we know Disney and Universal are insane.

I saw a great TR about a Seaworld trip at X-mas, but I was wondering if anyone else had gone down at this time before. What was fun outside of the parks? I am looking at the Hilton Orlando right now, which has a good rate and lazy river, but I know I can't count on it being warm enough to swim.

Thanks!

1999 Caribbean Beach Club
2005 Yacht Club
2006 Beach Club
2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 Offsite at Windsor Hills!
December 6th, 2008 Disney Magic!
May 2009 Ginn Reunion
January 2012 Windsor Hills
roxannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

We're from New England and the last time we were in Orlando in December they had a cold snap. We were wearing jeans, sweatshirts, fleece jackets, hats and mittens. If you really want to go somewhere warm I would go to the Caribbean.
Darcy03231 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
roxannex
Maleficenterrific

Hi,
I know. Sometimes it's warm and sometimes not. I was just wondering if some other people had spent x-mas in Orlando without concentrating on the theme parks.

2005 Yacht Club
2006 Beach Club
May 2009 Ginn Reunion
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

Last year we went on December 29, we had such an amazing time. Even though we had Disney APs, we decided to avoid the parks until January.

- We went to see the ICE exhibit at Gaylord Palms, while there we enjoyed seen their Christmas decorations and watched the Christmas show that they have in their atrium. The show was free and very entertaining.
- Visited the Florida aquarium in Tampa. They also had christmas activities and a play area for the kids to play with "snow"
- Visited Downtown Disney
- Had lunch at Sanaa. Went to the viewing area after lunch and even visited the arcade with DD
- Had dinner at Cape May. After dinner we visited the Boardwalk and enjoyed watching the performers.
- Played minigolf
- Shopped the Character Warehouse at the Outlets

We really had a wonderful time and enjoyed been in Orlando for part of the holidays. We also decided that we would return this year, except that this year we are arriving on the 27th

Oh and some days we were wearing coats, hats and gloves, but, some days we were wearing shorts and tshirts. It was unpredictable, but, it was part of our holidays in Orlando and it was fun swimming one day and wearing a coat the next one... I guess we are weird

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
roxannex
Maleficenterrific

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for!

2005 Yacht Club
2006 Beach Club
May 2009 Ginn Reunion
Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
roxannex
Maleficenterrific

Where did you stay?

2005 Yacht Club
2006 Beach Club
May 2009 Ginn Reunion
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We were there from December 23 to December 30, 2012. My trip report can be found here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415

or by clicking the link in my signature .

Our highlights were SeaWorld on Christmas Day (fabulous, and NOT packed like the Disney and Universal parks ), Wild Willy's airboat tour, Gatorland, mini golfing, ICE! at Gaylord Palms, and the Orlando Magic game.

The downsides? TRAFFIC . Getting anywhere took forever. Pack your patience, the Orlando holiday drivers are anything but spreading peace on earth and goodwill to men .

And offsite restaurants are BUSY. An hour or longer to get into Olive Garden busy.

But the decorations are fantastic and being in the warmth for the holiday season (as opposed to our frigid north) was amazing.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote