Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question Picture Matte Question About Signatures ?

Both of our kids have opted for signatures on a picture matte over a pillow case. First, how large a border should I block off on the matte with tape so the signatures don't go under the frame (frame is not bought yet), and is the best way to do that with blue tape, and will they know not to sign over the blue tape? And second, what are the best type of markers to use?
Thank you.
GrandCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I have no idea how much space to block out, but I'd just take the mat I got and put it in some frames I liked at the store and eyeball it.
SHARPIES for the signatures
I'd use the blue tape and simply write on the tape "Please do not sign in the blue area" My guess is they KNOW not to, but never hurts as a reminder.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
bpokornik
Earning My Ears

I just bought mats from Walmart not thinking about the frame. Shopped at Walmart for frame after cruise and found a frame that worked great. Cost was $5 and had very little frame on the edge. It was perfect!
bpokornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

We bought a mat with an 8x10 opening, but a 14x14 in size. I took the glass out, traced the border lightly with pencil, and labeled the top. I put it I between two pieces of cardboard, and placed it in a ziplock XL big bag. Bought the cheapest permanent markers I could find at Walmart, but removed yellow. Gave it to them the first day, and it was delivered to our room. It turned out beautifully! I got a set of five frames at Costco for about $25, and we now have a Disney cruise wall. I love it!
canadiandisneycruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

I bought my picture frame at Target. It is 11x14. I didn't tape off anything as the frame didn't overlap much of the matte. I just put on the back of the matte what was the top so they would know how to sign it. I sent colored sharpies with the matte along with a big bag of candy. I was so happy with the way it turned out!!

[IMG] Photo Matte by Captured by Amy, on Flickr[/IMG]

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

We bought a nice big white mat at Michael's that actually came with a black autograph pen (for weddings, graduation parties, etc.). We typically get a bag of colored Sharpies but for various reasons ended up using the pen that came with the mat, and it seems to have worked quite well...so far so good!

As for taping off the edge, we totally forgot to do that, but the characters were merciful and left a decent border for us. I'd think that using blue painters tape would be a definite sign to characters to avoid the edges.

NOTE: Our signatures came back with the assumption that we would use the mat/frame vertically (like the PP's photo). We went on the cruise with two families (4 adults and 5 kids) with the hope that we would get a good photo of all of us to put in the mat. Logically, with that many people, that would have been horizontal, and that turned out to be true. In other words, give some thought ahead of time to which direction you think you might want the frame to hang and then try to make some notation on it to influence the signatures (e.g., writing on the blue tape "this end up!").
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

I did a photo mat on our recent trip to Disney World. I bought a mat that was 11x14 and hold a 5x7 picute. I would suggest colorful sharpies. I had a pack of 12 and the mat turned out very nice. I would not worry about blocking any area off.

Staples has 12 packs of colored sharpies on sale this week for $3!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: