Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Is Disney the best line for Alaska with young kids?

I'm always seeing here how other lines have better itineraries and options for an Alaska trip. Other lines sail there that have kids programming too and can be less expensive. I will be traveling solo with my son (he's 5 right now) so the kid's aspect of the trip is more important to me than itinerary. I won't do a land trip with him either. So, is Disney the best way to go? Or do other lines cater just as much to children? Since we travel alone it's important for me to make my travel experience as easy as possible. I also want him to have the best experience possible. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I'm always seeing here how other lines have better itineraries and options for an Alaska trip. Other lines sail there that have kids programming too and can be less expensive. I will be traveling solo with my son (he's 5 right now) so the kid's aspect of the trip is more important to me than itinerary. I won't do a land trip with him either. So, is Disney the best way to go? Or do other lines cater just as much to children? Since we travel alone it's important for me to make my travel experience as easy as possible. I also want him to have the best experience possible. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone.
Does your son love Mickey or do the characters scare him?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ

Does your son love Mickey or do the characters scare him?
He loves the characters and is always excited to see them, but until recently, most of the time it was from a distance. This year though he's gone up and hugged some and taken pictures with them. Our 14 day cruise really helped him overcome his fears. He's asked me if they were real. When I told him no they are people dressed on costumes that helped. Seemed to be a turning point. So I would say, yes, he loves characters. Just more complicatedly than most kids, lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Oh and Mickey is his favorite.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone.
I've read many reports on other cruiselines that have good to great kid's programs. Among them Princess & Holland America.

The question kind of boils down to: Are you going to Alaska to see Alaska with Disney on the side? Or are you taking a Disney cruise with Alaska on the side?

Itinerary-wise, Disney's isn't as good others. Disney experience-wise, well, Disney wins hands down.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

I've read many reports on other cruiselines that have good to great kid's programs. Among them Princess & Holland America.

The question kind of boils down to: Are you going to Alaska to see Alaska with Disney on the side? Or are you taking a Disney cruise with Alaska on the side?

Itinerary-wise, Disney's isn't as good others. Disney experience-wise, well, Disney wins hands down.

Very good question. I had to think about that for a minute. I'd say I'm taking a Disney cruise with Alaska on the side.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Very good question. I had to think about that for a minute. I'd say I'm taking a Disney cruise with Alaska on the side.
I guess that answers your question then.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

I guess that answers your question then.

Lol! You're good! I really could not see how to look at this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: