Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Wet suits

we are on a western Caribbean on the Fantasy in Jan. Very excited. DH and I requested shortie wet suits for Christmas, which DM kindly gave us.

Here's the question. Exactly how tight are these thing supposed to be? I know they need to be skin tight, but should they be "girdle" tight? Do they loosen up as you wear them? Received the sizes that would be right if they were, say, shirts, but they seem awfully tight.

Also, what do men wear under theirs. I can see how my women's bathing suit can go under mine. DH always wears a boxer type suit, never ever a speedo type and I just don't see how that would fit. I think he'd rather forgo the wet suit and freeze than wear a speedo. He has the body for it, but he's an American and, well, you know. American guys just generally don't wear them.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

I don't know so much about the fit. Our springsuit/wetsuits should be arriving in the next few days so I'll have to see how this works. We're first-timers, too. I ordered 100% stretch kind because I read that was the way to go for comfort. We'll see. I think I'm hoping mine will be like a super-spanx.

Anywhoo, I asked my brother about what to wear under because he used to be into surfing when we were younger. I have 3 guys, 2 of which are adult. My brother says the fellas can go commando under their wetsuits or wear speedo-type drawers. Last year I bought my youngest son a pair of boxer briefs to wear under his gym shorts from Academy that were the thin, fast-dry material sorta like the dry-fit athletic apparel. They're tight like regular boxer briefs but made out of a different material than cotton. I was thinking of picking up the hubby & older son a pair of those even tho hubby says he'll just wear a pair of his regular drawers. My thing is that the cotton will hold onto the moisture much longer and add more bulk than the thinner material. I'll buy them and let him decide later. They also work well under swim trunks that don't have the built-in mesh undies. Ya know?
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

1. A wet suit needs to be snug - the idea is that water gets in but then stays in - body heats warms this layer of water and there you go ... you don't want a free flow in and out. On the flip side, you do not want it too tight - especially not so tight that it feels like your chest is being compressed. You should not have any effect on breathing from a properly fitting wet suit. A too tight fit will be vary uncomfortable and maybe even a problem.

2. What to wear under? Well consider this: most divers are going to carry the wet suit onto the dive/snorkel boat and put it on just b4 they get wet, and then take it back off after their last wetting of the day. Trust me, you don't want to wear a wet suit any longer than necessary if the sun is out and you are not wet. MAJOR SAUNA! {horrible choice 4 costume party, ask how I'm SO sure . . } So yes, most folks are going to wear it over a bathing suit; dw and dd too - usually a one piece tho (function versus fashion). Donning the wet suit on deck of a dive boat kinds rules out the 'commando' approach! I usually wear a regular quick dry bathing suit under mine, just not too long or bulky. Board Shorts are not my idea but in can depend on the shorty in question, some have more legs than others and around here (surfing country) many males certainly DO wear board shorts under theirs. I often wear a nylon or other quick dry t-shirt under mine as well (or a rash guard); more out of habit than anything. I've been an active diver for over 30 years and have 'habits'. There is a degree of 'practice' required to get in and out of a wet suit on a moving boat!

diving 'the Seas' last March

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command

Last edited by Capt_BJ; 12-30-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
truck1
Growing older but not up.

SleepyDeb, I work in a pt dive shop. Capt Bj has it pretty much on the mark. You want it to be snug enough that there are no major pockets under the arms, between the legs in the abdomen etc. It should not be too restricting to the point of cutting off circulation or being uncomfortable. You should be able to place 2 fingers between the seals on the legs and arms with no difficulty or too much strain. At the same time, you dont want them too loose either. If you have to fight it to move its probably too tight.( Though I have seen 1 person put 1 on backwards)

Typically no they dont loosen up either. Over time most will shrink.

As to what most guys where its personal choice. I know of a few people that will go commando and change on the boat.( theres a way to do this believe it or not.) Most of the guys that I know that wear a wetsuit will wear a bathing suit of sometype underneath. Some will wear a rashguard(basically a lycra tshirt) or regular tshirt underneath or just a bathing suit. There really is no hard and fast rule on what to wear unerneath. 1 disadvantage to wearing a shirt or rashguard underneath in the winter would be that your wearing a wetshirt as soon as you take the wetsuit off. That can and will chill you pretty quick standing on a boat.Youd be better off not wearing a shirt and as soon as you get out of the water, put a dry tshirt or sweatshirt on for warmth.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

After experimenting a bit, DH prefers to wear jammers under his wetsuits. He wears board shorts over the jammers until it is time to change into the wetsuit. He would never wear a speedo bit feels the jammers offer more coverage while adding very little bulk under the wetsuit. I prefer to wear a one piece.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

oops - part of my msg got in the wrong place during an edit - but I think you get the point.

Suggestion - get in the wet suits and get wet.....

trying on a wet suit dry is kinda tuff - they never get settled into all the right places dry. When I put mine on and finally get wet there is a certain amount of 'letting water in' and 'settling' that happens.

your header does not identify a location where U B - nor do I know where you got your wet suit (web order????? hmmmmmm) A dive shop might have a pool you could jump in for a test run .... hey, it is a wet suit, cut a hole in the ice if up north (JUST KIDDING). At a minimum, put it on and get in the shower and "fill it up with water", it will be much easier to move around and even 'tightness' may change when the suit can slide easily and not bunch up.

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command

Last edited by Capt_BJ; 12-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
LessMouse
Earning My Ears

Hey.... Which brand and what will they be used for.
LessMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: