Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Congestion in dogs? Advice? - MEGA UPDATE

My Beagle sounds congested. She always snores, but this sounds more like a congestion. It comes and goes. She sounds fine, and then she sounds like she is a bit congested.

I took a hot shower and had her in there with me to help ease the congestion. Anything else I can/should do, besides try to keep her inside as much as possible?

Of course, it is Sunday and the vet is closed. And I will be lottery lucky if I could get her seen tomorrow at our vet. I do not find this emergency vet worthy, as she is still playing/eating/sleeping like she normally does. I will try to get her in tomorrow if she still sounds a bit "off".

Any advice? I read online somewhere it is okay to give dogs Benadryl for congestion, but am not sure if I want to.

Again, she is acting fine, just sounds a bit congested. If I put my ear to her tummy, sometimes she sounds fine and sometimes it sounds a teeny bit raspy.

It may be nothing, but a couple of years ago our male Beagle had Aspiration Pneumonia, so now anytime there is more than the typical amount of snorting coming from the dogs I get concerned. I am pretty high-strung anyway, LOL.

MEGA UPDATE : I finally decided to take her in for yet another dental cleaning. I almost lost my male dog during a dental sedation and was so scared. Our vet got a new dental machine in since then and they were able to see that she had 5, YES 5, IMPACTED teeth! Poor girl! The roots on those teeth were pressing on her sinuses. She ended up getting 10 or so teeth removed. The vet, and entire staff, was shocked that she had so many impacted teeth. She is recovering from her surgery now (had it on Tuesday) and while she is still sounding congested, it is expected to go away as soon as she recovers. He also peeked in her nose in case there was an issue with a nasal tumor and saw nothing.

I am relieved and so glad that I got the push I needed to get her in for a dental. And so happy that my vet office was able to see the issue!

Last edited by rszdtrvl; 06-20-2013 at 10:29 AM.
rszdtrvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
nephthys43
DIS Veteran

When my dog is congested I take her into the bathroom with me while I take a hot shower. My vet told me to do this with her when she's wheezy.

july 1980 - first trip (cried when i met the three little pigs) - offsite / march 1987 - offsite / march 1991 - offsite / august 1996 - offsite / march 2005 - offsite - celebration / march 2006 - offsite - celebration december 2006 - CBR / december 2007 - sports / december 2009 - offsite - celebration / august 2010 - POP
nephthys43 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Did that already this morning. And will send her in there with DS when he takes his shower this morning also.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Skip the Benadryl, hot showers are good, even just putting her in a hot steamy bathroom. You can try a humidifier near where she sleeps. If she is eating, drinking, playing no big emergency. Was she boarded recently , like within the last two weeks? Has she played with other dogs in the last two weeks? If it gets worse, with a lot of green discharge or a lot of wheezing, or a really hacking/almost duck sounding cough it could easily be kennel cough. That you would want her seen for. I'd make an appt now for whenever you can get in, sounds like it will be a few days, then if she gets worse you can get her in, if she gets better just cancel the appt the day before.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

DS is in the shower now. I plan on putting her in the bathroom with him in about 5 or so minutes - after it is all steamy.

Nope, no boarding. We have in-home pet sitting when we go anywhere and have not been anywhere in a while.

The only other dogs she has been in contact with (through a fence) are the neighbor's dogs. They have not been boarded either.

It sounds like a throat congestion. Almost like she has phlegm or something that she needs to hack up.

She was doing fine, but started making the phlegmy sound 10 minutes ago. She is going to be DH's football buddy today, so he will let me know what he thinks.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszdtrvl
DS is in the shower now. I plan on putting her in the bathroom with him in about 5 or so minutes - after it is all steamy.

Nope, no boarding. We have in-home pet sitting when we go anywhere and have not been anywhere in a while.

The only other dogs she has been in contact with (through a fence) are the neighbor's dogs. They have not been boarded either.

It sounds like a throat congestion. Almost like she has phlegm or something that she needs to hack up.

She was doing fine, but started making the phlegmy sound 10 minutes ago. She is going to be DH's football buddy today, so he will let me know what he thinks.
I would just keep doing what your doing then for the next few days and see how it progresses. I spent over 10 years as a vet tech so feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
I would just keep doing what your doing then for the next few days and see how it progresses. I spent over 10 years as a vet tech so feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Thank you! I appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

When our last bulldog had epsiodes like this we actually used the Vicks vaporizer with steam (no medication). In his case, he needed antibiotics. I hope your pooch is better soon. In the bulldog world, we often use a squirt of lemon juice to break up phlegm also.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

The head of our rescue recommended this. Get a stew bone (we sometimes have to ask at the butcher counter) -Put it in a pot, cover it with water and simmer it for a few hours. Try to push any marrow that is in the bone out and into the water after it has simmered for a while.

Remove the bone (but leave as much marrow behind as possible) - let it cool and give your dog a bowl. They will lap it up because they taste the meat. This gets them to drink a lot of liquid - which is good for congestion (watch out, they will need some extra potty runs after this) and the marrow is also very good for the dog.

We put any extra in the fridge, warm it up (to about room temp) in the microwave and give your dog this two to three times a day when congested.
Rence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

We make a product that could help. Breathe EZ Tea
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Okay, this may sound crazy, but I think she had a piece of food stuck in her throat.

I gave her some warm broth, which she loved, and I noticed she was licking the floor when she was done.

I found a piece of dog food, which was very soft and looked like it had been soaking in water on the floor. And I KNOW it was not in the broth (freshly made) or on the floor (freshly mopped and not even close to where I feed them).

She is now acting all obnoxious - rubbing herself on the fireplace like she always does - and just seems perky now.

Could this be possible? I have not heard her make any wierd raspy noise since that happened. Crazy!!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

She was doing it again last month, so I took her to the vet.

He did xrays to see if it was pneumonia, and it showed that she had an enlarged heart.

We put her on an antibiotic, just in case she had a sinus infection or something, and she was fine for a while. Now it is happening again.

With both the congestion and her enlarged heart, I am freaking out that she might have Congestive Heart Failure.

DH said that we could take her to the vet again to get their opinion on what to do next. The vet didn't say anything about the Congestive Heart Failure on our last visit.

Meanwhile, I am freaking out. I hate the internet because I just freak myself out with self-diagnosis.

She is definitely making noises like she is congested in her throat. She is coughing on occasion, and her breathing through her nose is again, sounding congested.

Anyone have any experience like this?

She is 9 years old. Still eating/drinking. My dogs don't play much, but she still chases the neighbors dog along the fence line. Sleeps a lot, but that is normal with my dogs.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

I don't have any advice but...

Hope all is well.

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I think it's time to take her back in. Yes the enlarged heart could be related to the congestion, and since the congestion keeps returning and hasn't been resolved I think a trip to the vet is needed. Good news is that if the heart is the cause there are a couple pretty inexpensive medications that could help her maintain. Good luck!!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
I think it's time to take her back in. Yes the enlarged heart could be related to the congestion, and since the congestion keeps returning and hasn't been resolved I think a trip to the vet is needed. Good news is that if the heart is the cause there are a couple pretty inexpensive medications that could help her maintain. Good luck!!
Thanks. I am hoping that he can put her on something. I did read about a couple of meds - one I think started with an "A", as well as special prescription food for her heart (weight be danged - if her heart is in rough shape that is more important than a slightly pudgy Beagle).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: