Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
Natalia77
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly girl View Post
Even with all that it still is a FABULOUS job and I it!
Love your attitude! I wish all flight attendants were like you!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #47
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

Over the years I have never had any issues with flight attendents (or pilots). I'm probably the least demanding flyer there is and happy just to get where I'm going and have my luggage be there when I do. That leads into the major reason I avoid flying now as much as possible, which is the terrorists who are commonly known as baggage handlers. Yes, it's gotten to be a real pain when it comes to the security requirements, but I sure with somebody was paying that much attention to the baggage handlers/
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #48
nealymouse
DIS Veteran

Hello it's been such a long time since I have been here.

I am a flight attendant now with a major airline. We do not get paid until we close the door and the brake is released. We are required to show up one hr before our flight unpaid from our base and 45 mins before our flights away from base all unpaid. But we are guaranteed a min pay and most times we arrive earlier then stated on our trips.

I love my job, really best job ever but I still get frustrated with passengers. When I asked someone to move their belongings all the way under the seat in front of them it's not because I want them to have more leg room it's because the FAA required the aisle in front of you clear for takeoff and landing for your safety its my job to enforce it. If not I AM FINED yes me personally not my airline

If I ask you to shut off your phone again it's a FAA regulation I have to enforce.

It's so frustrating having passengers get mad at me, swear at me, turn their heads like they don't hear me, ignore me for doing my job to keep them safe

Flight attendants don't go to school to learn how to serve you a coke we go to learn how to save your life in any situation that could happen to you on our aircraft. We also can evacuated an entire plane in 90 seconds we have to again FAA regulations. If you can't pass the tests you don't become a FA

I adore my passengers I have met amazing people, famous people, kids I want to stow away in my roller board because they were so darn cute I have cried with passengers going home to a sick family member, laughed till I had tears in my eyes with passengers.

Air travel is hard today we know we do it everyday. The stress is hard and once on board how I wish you would not take it out on me.

We do get upset with parents. I can't begin to tell you how many arrive with nothing for their children to do and expect us to entertain them. No diapers, no food, no toys. I could go on and on. I once had a man get so mad at me because I would not get his baby milk as soon as he boarded and then yelled at me for 2 mins telling me I didn't care that his baby was hungry. I have seen a parent let their kids destroy a seat and TV with markers. Yes go ahead and draw all over a brand new leather seat and TV. This cost my company 10k to replace because we could not get the ink out. I only wish I had seen it being done. Yes they were reported.

Asking for a drink to take a pill is no problem. Asking for a drink while we are boarding and I ask you to wait please don't yell at me or get all pissed because i didnt run and get you water. You may think I am just standing there saying hello to you but I am doing checks and can't by FAA rules leave my door. Again I will be fined and its not a little amount. I can be fined up to $1500 per leg ( I could have 4 legs a day) for not doing what the FAA requires me to do at the very moment I am doing it. So please when I ask you to wait please wait.

Also I can't put your bags in the overhead bin unless your disabled. If you can't lift it then why do you think I can hahahaha we have a saying " you packed it you stack it" if it's to heavy then check it.

Again I want to say being a FA is an amazing job. For everyone who is mean and rotten there are 25 more who are kind and sweet and they make up for the rotten self absorbed jerks who for what ever reason think I am their personal servant the min they board LOL

nealymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #49
HARASW
DisneyWorld Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealymouse View Post

...............Again I want to say being a FA is an amazing job. For everyone who is mean and rotten there are 25 more who are kind and sweet and they make up for the rotten self absorbed jerks who for what ever reason think I am their personal servant the min they board LOL

I will make sure to always be part of those "25 more". Why should you be treated any differently than the way us passengers want to be treated??

You really made some good points in your post.
11/86 -Honeymoon-Off Property, 7/97-GF RPC, 7/98, 7/99, 7/00, 7/01, 7/02, 7/03, 7/04, 1/05 -GF SLC, 7/06, 7/07, 7/08 -WL CL,12/08 -BWI CL, 8/09-GF RPC, 7/10 - POLY CL, 5/11-BWI CL, 12/11-BWI CL, 6/12-BWI CL 10/12-BWI CL, 1/13-BWI CL, 8/13-BWI CL, 12/13-BWI CL, 6/14-BWI CL

HARASW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #50
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I have flown alot in the last year. And honestly I think I have only once seen flight attendants be rude to any passenger... that person deserved it (he kept hitting the call button to ask for more alcohol, even after he was cut off)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #51
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

I find it interesting to read the views of other flight attendants that are not as negative about their job as my flight attendant relative is. I really, really wish he would just get out of the business, but he wants to hang on for retirement, all the while telling me that the majority of flight attendants are just like him, and there are hardly any like our friend that actually seems to enjoy aspects of being a flight attendant!

Of course, my relative also says almost every flight attendant and pilot is sleeping around, and he hasn't met one yet that doesn't drink to relax when off the job. I try really hard not to fly his airline, since apparently "every" flight attendant on that plane hates their job and me, the passenger, too! When I do have a flight attendant that is pleasant, I am writing corporate, because I want them to be recognized for their smile!

Regarding the pay, my relative has 16 years, his friend that makes good money has 15. I don't know all the ins and outs of scheduling, other than the day schedules are released for the month, he is on the computer for hours, dropping and rearranging flights. From the point of view of a person that is not in the business, it appears that he can maneuver his schedule to work as much or as little as he likes, and if he wants to pick up the flight to Hawaii or Tokyo, he just bargains with other flight attendants to grab that spot. He will pick up a couple of international flights, get his minimum hours in, and be off for a couple of weeks, if it suits him. And he tries to avoid the Orlando flights at all costs, since he can't stand kids anyway!

Yup, family gatherings are an interesting time when whiny relative shows up! But as another poster said, the stories are interesting!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #52
nealymouse
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=luvavacation;47065894]

he is on the computer for hours, dropping and rearranging flights. From the point of view of a person that is not in the business, it appears that he can maneuver his schedule to work as much or as little as he likes, and if he wants to pick up the flight to Hawaii or Tokyo, he just bargains with other flight attendants to grab that spot. He will pick up a couple of international flights, get his minimum hours in, and be off for a couple of weeks, if it suits him. And he tries to avoid the Orlando flights at all costs, since he can't stand kids anyway!

Yes we all play with scheduling. The month before you bid what you want to work but when the time comes say one of my hubby, kids or friends wants to do something I can just hop online and drop the trip. You are required to work a min and max amount of hrs in a month and as long as your between those numbers its drop trips,swap trips and add trips all month. Its almost like a game.

I remember being told by a FA right after I started that even if you don't love the job you will become addicted to the freedom of when and where you work. She was so right!

And your cousin is wrong also about everyone being so angry. My airline hires on personality, of course other things too but you have to fit the personality profile or you wont be hired. We all have bad days but over all we are a happy bunch

nealymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #53
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If I ask you to shut off your phone again it's a FAA regulation I have to enforce.

It's so frustrating having passengers get mad at me, swear at me, turn their heads like they don't hear me, ignore me for doing my job to keep them safe
Oh the cell phones. Airplane mode is not OFF. Kindles too, OFF. I know, we've seen the shows that say it won't interfere but until FAA approves it we have to follow the rules. Again, like nealymouse said, we are PERSONALLY fined. And we are onto the "pretending its off until we move past your row" maneuver.

One more tidbit. Our closets. We protect them like gold. Why? Because again WE are fined (not the airline) if it isn't perfect. Sorry, I cannot hang that garment bag that has a bar in it (ie, that piece of metal you feel at the top when you fold it over) it's against FAA regulation. And my closet has a weight limit. If it is over I can kiss $1500 of my hard earned cash goodbye. And face disciplinary action with my employer. We are a little obsessive about the closet, and now you know why.

Quote:
Flight attendants don't go to school to learn how to serve you a coke we go to learn how to save your life in any situation that could happen to you on our aircraft. We also can evacuated an entire plane in 90 seconds we have to again FAA regulations. If you can't pass the tests you don't become a FA

I adore my passengers I have met amazing people, famous people, kids I want to stow away in my roller board because they were so darn cute I have cried with passengers going home to a sick family member, laughed till I had tears in my eyes with passengers.

Air travel is hard today we know we do it everyday. The stress is hard and once on board how I wish you would not take it out on me.
Preach on!!

Never once in the 7 weeks of initial training did we go over service. Not once! We went over emeregency procedures day in, day out.

I have met some AMAZING people over the years while flying. I wouldn't trade my job for any other. Sure it's not the glamorous job like it was back in the day (thanking people for their trash isn't too glitzy! ) but I take pride in putting on my uniform. Gotta admit, wearing those wings feels pretty darned cool.
fly girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #54
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
I find it interesting to read the views of other flight attendants that are not as negative about their job as my flight attendant relative is. I really, really wish he would just get out of the business, but he wants to hang on for retirement, all the while telling me that the majority of flight attendants are just like him, and there are hardly any like our friend that actually seems to enjoy aspects of being a flight attendant!

Of course, my relative also says almost every flight attendant and pilot is sleeping around, and he hasn't met one yet that doesn't drink to relax when off the job. I try really hard not to fly his airline, since apparently "every" flight attendant on that plane hates their job and me, the passenger, too! When I do have a flight attendant that is pleasant, I am writing corporate, because I want them to be recognized for their smile!

Regarding the pay, my relative has 16 years, his friend that makes good money has 15. I don't know all the ins and outs of scheduling, other than the day schedules are released for the month, he is on the computer for hours, dropping and rearranging flights. From the point of view of a person that is not in the business, it appears that he can maneuver his schedule to work as much or as little as he likes, and if he wants to pick up the flight to Hawaii or Tokyo, he just bargains with other flight attendants to grab that spot. He will pick up a couple of international flights, get his minimum hours in, and be off for a couple of weeks, if it suits him. And he tries to avoid the Orlando flights at all costs, since he can't stand kids anyway!

Yup, family gatherings are an interesting time when whiny relative shows up! But as another poster said, the stories are interesting!

Hang on until retirement and he only has 16 years? Oh my, I hope he is older than me!

Oh YES! We are on that computer like crazy the day bids come out. The more I read about your relative, the more I am dying to know if he works for the same airline! I have a inkling he might, but under different circumstances than me. (If you are up to it, luvavacation, pm me please).

And have you taken a gander at your flight attendants lately? We aren't the young and sexy stews from the 60's! The average age is 50. We don't have boyfriends in every city. Most of us are happily married with children. Sure, crew members have been known to "hook up" on occassion, but it is definitely not the norm.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #55
donaldbuzz&minnie
Happy to be here!

I just think that a very small minority of people are so remarkably obnoxious that it is only human that we tend to remember them. They can be passengers (I've seen behavior that made my jaw drop), flight attendants (I've been on planes with a couple of doozies), and as we all know, guests at WDW.

It's too bad that a few people can make stressful experiences (like flying has become with every seat filled on every flight) so much worse for everyone. Common courtesy is a given with probably most of us, but will never be learned by the truly clueless.
donaldbuzz&minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #56
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I've only had one bad FA experience. On an international flight I was told my carry-on was the wrong size & would not fit (with a lot of attitude). Never mind that this exact bag has been on several overseas trips & stowed with no problem AND if people would actually follow the rules & put one thing overhead & one thing at their feet there would have been plenty of room. It was all my fault. I was worried because I had glassware in my bag but the plane started backing up before she finished ranting at me so she found a place to store it somewhere.
OTOH, I've had numerous great experiences from attendants who shared my kids joy on their first overseas flight to the domestic ones who took care of me when I got airsick.

One question for the FAs who have posted here: Is it possible on an overseas flight to get a Vegan breakfast with all other meals being normal? One of my kids has an egg allergy & on our last 2 flights she couldn't eat the breakfast. She doesn't even really need vegan if there's an egg-free option. Thanks!
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz View Post
One question for the FAs who have posted here: Is it possible on an overseas flight to get a Vegan breakfast with all other meals being normal? One of my kids has an egg allergy & on our last 2 flights she couldn't eat the breakfast. She doesn't even really need vegan if there's an egg-free option. Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. When you request a special meal, it will be for all the meals served on the flight. As a "heads up" special meal requests should be put in as early as possible. Especially for international flights, you truly should have at least 48 hours notice minimum.

However, going vegetarian all the way might be worth it. Many passengers prefer the special meals. Try googling the "Airline Your Flying" vegetarian special meal and you'll be surprised what you can find. People have websites dedicated to airplane food. Crazy ... I know!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #58
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Thanks. The problem is vegetarians eat eggs so that doesn't do us any good. I might check out the vegan meals online. This kid loves her fruits & veggies so she might be OK with it if it means she actually gets a breakfast.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #59
fly girl
DIS Veteran

There are two kinds of vegetarian meals airlines have. Vegetarian/Vegan Pure: no meat, dairy, or eggs. And Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo: no meat, but eggs and some dairy allowed.

Since she has an egg allergy obviously you'd go with the vegetarian vegan pure.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #60
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Thanks again. I looked & one of the Asian Airlines has a '5 Allergy Meal' which eliminates the top 5 allergens. The meal looked pretty good & more acceptable to my bacon loving child than a vegan meal.
I guess I'll just call the airlines & bring extra food for breakfast just in case. Thanks again for the information.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: