Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto
My DH works for an airline and he gets paid once the plane leaves the gate and his pay stops when he gets to the gate. So when he has maintenance or weather delays he is not getting paid. He can work long hours and only get paid for 4. So the next time you are traveling and have a delay that you are absolutely pissed about, don't take it out on the employees because they are doing the best job they can.
Does it work the other way around though? Let's say the plane lands and there's no gates available, does the crew get paid for sitting on the Tarmac?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I have generally had excellent experiences with flight attendants. I don't fly every week, but probably 2-4 times per year.

I often think the FA has the worst end of the deal, when I watch some of the passengers they have to deal with and how nasty people are.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #33
fly girl
DIS Veteran

I'm a flight attendant and have been for 16 years.

First, at my airline we get paid as soon as the boarding door is closed. Once the doors are closed the beacon goes on we are getting paid. We get paid for taxiing and waiting for takeoff. No, we don't get paid for boarding -- the WORST part of our job. Ask any f/a, boardings are the most stressful. At my airline we do get paid for delays, but only if it goes over 1 hour -- and the rate is pitily. It is no where near our regular pay.

As with any job, you have those workers who are going to complain about everything under the sun. Just unhappy people. Yes, I have flown with them, and I try to avoid them. You get lazy workers too, it's the same as any workplace. Most of us are happy people that like interacting with passengers. But after 13+ hour days, which sadly are more commonplace than not, by leg (ie, flight) 4 of the day we are not as peppy as we were 12 hours prior. That is no excuse for being surly though. A smile is free. And easy to do.

As for the article, here's my scoop.

Yep, I know flight attendants that make "ALL PURPOSE" coffee (ie, decaf for the entire plane). It is not widely done and is usually kept for short flights where a minimum crew can barely serve the aircraft in under 45 minutes. And, I have never seen this done on morning flights. We need the coffee too!! My secret to good regular coffee, use 2 brew bags. Extra strong! I like to keep you awake I guess. LOL

Yes, door arming/disarming is absolutely of utmost importance. And we do cross check. It is very easy to get distracted esp. when we deplane (passengers asking about connections, help with bags, etc.) so if we seem pre-occupied and don't get to you for a moment realize it just might be because we hear that announcement for us to "prepare our doors". Kindly give us that moment to do that task, it is for your safety.

At my airline we are NOT allowed to upgrade anyone. It can cost us our job. Please don't ask, because you will kindly be rebuffed. All upgrades should be handled by the gate agents, please.

I get asked all the time where we are flying over. If I am not in the middle of a service I'd be more than happy to call the cockpit to find out where we are. During service, of course I will do it, but it is inconvenient. I am getting stares from the aisles behind you that want their drink and snacks too.

Jiggling the ice is annoying. It's demeaning. I think most flight attendants would agree.

I go over our selections of drinks all the time. We have a lot. The sad thing is if people would listen to our announcements we tell you that on page whatever in our magazine you can see all of our offerings. I know, some flight attendants babble on forever, but just an FYI look in the magazine -- they're in there!

WE LIKE CHILDREN!! Most of us have children. I will gladly hold on to your baby when you have to go to the bathroom. We will help you, but we do prefer well behaved children.

DON'T POKE US! It is rude. That's my personal pet peeve. Seriously, I have been poked in the butt more times than I care to remember. Who does that?! I am aware that that part of my body is in your eyeline from your seated position but really....UGH! Just say, "excuse me" it goes over a lot better.

We gladly help with bags during boarding. As I said before, we aren't getting paid, but we have no problem helping you find space. Just please don't get irate with us when we have to start checking, we have no control when the bins get full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto View Post
Most people who work for an airline don't hate passengers, however, they do hate the way some people treat them poorly.
AMEN! I try to look at it as the rude people have something unpleasant going on in their lives, and I got to be the scapegoat. Ah...no biggie. Par for the course. I don't sweat it, but I will tell my crew about the unpleasant passenger at 18D. It's nice to be ready for the ambush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
Listening to this relative tell his stories, it just makes me wonder what the flight attendants think about me when I board that plane, and if that cup of water I just asked for to take my medicine is going to have spit in it.

According to a friend of this relative, the pay actually increased if you are willing to fly more. This friend flies every week, and makes almost $90,000 per year.

On top of all this, I am a fearful flier. I hate flying. I don't trust the plane, the pilots, the mechanics, none of them. I like to sit near the front of the plane, and let the flight attendants know that I am a fearful flier, and will probably be shaking, and will look at them during turbulence, but otherwise, I am fine. Relative says that the flight attendants are all laughing at me behing my back, and if something did happen, they wouldn't even want to help me, since I am forcing them to smile at me. Really? I am thinking that if flight attendants hate flying and customer service so much, they should perhaps find another job.

Personally, I think they don't have it that bad, because really, how many jobs out there let you choose your days of work, your times of work, where you go to work, and how much your paycheck will be? I would really be sad if the majority of flight attendants actually were like my relative, as opposed to his friend. Everyone complains about work, but when all you do is whine whine whine, perhaps you need to find another job, one where you have no contact with the public. Articles like this one just make me believe that the ones that like their job are very few and far between.

Oh my! Where to begin.

First, we don't do a stare down on boarding. We don't judge, we welcome you onboard. Getting you water during boarding ... no biggie! It's done all the time. And NO, we don't spit in it. That's terrible.

Yes, you can make that amount of money. You will be flying a heck of a lot!! But it can be done, and I have seen it done. On average they will be flying 20-25 days a month. And you can make that money because many airlines lifted the monthly hours that can be flown. Pay sadly is not as much as it used to be, but you can fly as many hours as you want.

I'm sad that you don't trust any of us. We take our careers seriously. Safety is priority #1. Those men/women in the cockpit have on average 50+ flying years experience between the two. They have families as well. No way are they going to fly if it isn't safe. The mechanics know their work must be to perfection. They won't let the plane fly unless it's safe.

And NO NO NO!!! We do NOT laugh at you. We feel bad that you hate flying. We try to reassure you and make you feel as comfortable as you can be. We are used to the stares and glares on takeoff/landing and everytime the plane hits turbulence. It's what we do! Yes, your relative is a jaded one. Most of us are not like that.

Lastly, we do get to see all parts of the world and have flexibility with our jobs but we don't get to chose all of that all of the time. I am very junior, yes with 16 years I am in the bottom 85%. I don't get to chose the days I work (I fly Fri-Sun mostly and work holidays), don't get to chose my layovers (I definitely wouldn't chose the 9 hour layover at the Clarion in Jacksonville), nor the time I report to work (I hate 6am reports with returns on day 3 at 11pm but that's what I get!) It has flexibility but you have to remember that comes with seniority and it takes A LONG time to get it! Even with all that it still is a FABULOUS job and I it!
fly girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #34
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
This kind of makes me want to fly less. If they hate the passengers so much, they should have chosen another career.
You will see feelings like this from any customer service job, be it flight attendants, retail, food service, or cast members. You may not see it out in the open, and it is not felt by every employee all of the time, but it is there. It does not mean that they do not do their jobs properly. It just means they are human beings with feelings, and would occasionally like to be treated like just that instead of robots.

** Summer 1985 - First trip with family. Off property ** Summer 1991 - Trip with Dad. Off property ** Spring 1998 - Trip with Mom. Off property ** Halloween 2006 - Honeymoon. All-Star Movies ** Halloween 2007 - 1st Anniversary. All-Star Music ** Halloween 2008 - 2nd Anniversary. All-Star Sports ** Halloween 2009 - 3rd Anniversary. Pop Century ** Halloween 2010 - 4th Anniversary. Pop Century **Halloween 2012 - 6th Anniversary. Pop Century**July 2013 - Florida Residents!
CurlyJo224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #35
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyJo224

You will see feelings like this from any customer service job, be it flight attendants, retail, food service, or cast members. You may not see it out in the open, and it is not felt by every employee all of the time, but it is there. It does not mean that they do not do their jobs properly. It just means they are human beings with feelings, and would occasionally like to be treated like just that instead of robots.
I agree. I exaggerated. All I meant was I thought the snarky and childish behavior of that individual flight attendant annoyed me at that moment. I know that they have stressful jobs and will be annoyed with rude people. An article isn't going to make me want to fly less.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #36
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
I agree. I exaggerated. All I meant was I thought the snarky and childish behavior of that individual flight attendant annoyed me at that moment. I know that they have stressful jobs and will be annoyed with rude people. An article isn't going to make me want to fly less.
Sadly, too many people don't exaggerate. I have had days at my job where I don't smile enough for somebody or laugh at their REALLY not funny, heard it a million times joke, and get the nasty, "Well, I'm sorry you don't like your job."

I like my job just fine, but you (general use of "you") are here at the end of my shift on Saturday night, being difficult, and complaining to my managers that I'm not "happy enough?"

Too many people forget that these people in these service industries are exactly that: people. People have bad days. People have limited patience. No, they shouldn't be outright rude, but if they're not necessarily Suzy Sunshine, there may be reasons. And try looking at your own attitude, as well. You might be one of the reasons.

** Summer 1985 - First trip with family. Off property ** Summer 1991 - Trip with Dad. Off property ** Spring 1998 - Trip with Mom. Off property ** Halloween 2006 - Honeymoon. All-Star Movies ** Halloween 2007 - 1st Anniversary. All-Star Music ** Halloween 2008 - 2nd Anniversary. All-Star Sports ** Halloween 2009 - 3rd Anniversary. Pop Century ** Halloween 2010 - 4th Anniversary. Pop Century **Halloween 2012 - 6th Anniversary. Pop Century**July 2013 - Florida Residents!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #37
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran

And going back to the article, the list was not from a single flight attendant, but from several he knows. It may not be one cranky flight attendant, but several with a few pet peeves.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyJo224 View Post
Sadly, too many people don't exaggerate. I have had days at my job where I don't smile enough for somebody or laugh at their REALLY not funny, heard it a million times joke, and get the nasty, "Well, I'm sorry you don't like your job."

I like my job just fine, but you (general use of "you") are here at the end of my shift on Saturday night, being difficult, and complaining to my managers that I'm not "happy enough?"

Too many people forget that these people in these service industries are exactly that: people. People have bad days. People have limited patience. No, they shouldn't be outright rude, but if they're not necessarily Suzy Sunshine, there may be reasons. And try looking at your own attitude, as well. You might be one of the reasons.

Yes, we are people. People who do get treated very poorly at times. I will NOT be sworn at or threatened. Yes, it happens. Realize we are seeing on average 800 people a day -- you get the good and bad. We do have bad days and can reach our limits. It doesn't mean we hate our job.

I am sure everyone who has worked has had a bad day. Sometimes we wear our emotions on our sleeves. We aren't perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyJo224 View Post
And going back to the article, the list was not from a single flight attendant, but from several he knows. It may not be one cranky flight attendant, but several with a few pet peeves.

OK, I read the article again and yes some of those are beyond what a normal flight attendant thinks. But seriously, some of those are pretty basic.

6. Taking your laptop or magazine in the lav. Yeah, it's gross. Just do your business and exit. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear your shoes!! That isn't just water on the floor. Seriously, guys can't hit the toilet in their own home what makes you think they can in a turbulent airplane? Just sayin'...

9. Jiggling the glass with ice. Like I said before, it is demeaning.

11. Screaming "huh" with headphones on does get old. You usually see us coming down the aisle with the cart. Pause whatever you are doing for a minute, take of the headphones, and converse with us without the screaming. I'm not going to just throw a Coke in your face, that's just as rude, but it is common courtesy to take the headphones off.

14. Making general assumptions about groups of people is stereotyping. That is a stereotype that is definitely not true. I know several male flight attendants that aren't gay. I still don't get how this is construed as being a cranky f/a?

16. Poking is just wrong! Period.

I really don't think those are bad. It is just common courtesy. I will tell you what goes very well with us -- Please and Thank You. Sadly, they aren't used much anymore.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Any job where you are dealing with the public, can be frustrating, because people aren't always nice. Goes with the territory.

I only fly once or twice a year (for the past several years), and I've only ran across maybe a couple of flight attendants who I thought came off as rude (when it wasn't called for). Most of them are friendly, nice, and helpful. Some are more friendly than others, but that's because everyone has different personalities.

Personally, I wouldn't want their job. I would the think work schedules would be less than desirable. Their job may look easy, but I bet it's actually not.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I can't blame them honestly... Can you imagine some of the passengers...? What a nightmare! However, that is the vast minority.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #41
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly girl View Post

We are used to the stares and glares on takeoff/landing and everytime the plane hits turbulence. It's what we do! Yes, your relative is a jaded one. Most of us are not like that.
Thank you for your take on the article. I have to admit that if the plane gets a little shaky, I watch the FAs. If they look calm, I know it's ok.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
HARASW
DisneyWorld Addict

Oh my!!! After reading some of the comments about passengers and their disgusting habits and their awful attitudes, it's no wonder the flight attendants feel the way that they do!
11/86 -Honeymoon-Off Property, 7/97-GF RPC, 7/98, 7/99, 7/00, 7/01, 7/02, 7/03, 7/04, 1/05 -GF SLC, 7/06, 7/07, 7/08 -WL CL,12/08 -BWI CL, 8/09-GF RPC, 7/10 - POLY CL, 5/11-BWI CL, 12/11-BWI CL, 6/12-BWI CL 10/12-BWI CL, 1/13-BWI CL, 8/13-BWI CL, 12/13-BWI CL, 6/14-BWI CL

HARASW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #43
Katie Dawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly girl View Post
Even with all that it still is a FABULOUS job and I it!
fly girl, it's obvious that what you say is true. As a customer I appreciate a friendly face on what can often be a somewhat stressful day for our family (especially now that we have a toddler!) and I wanted to say Thank You!

As you plan, remember... there's nothing magical about being exhausted.

January 2010 Trip to the World: Absolutely Wonderful! Thank You Disboards!
Katie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
fly girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post
Thank you for your take on the article. I have to admit that if the plane gets a little shaky, I watch the FAs. If they look calm, I know it's ok.
You are not alone! Watch away if it eases your tension. We understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARASW View Post
Oh my!!! After reading some of the comments about passengers and their disgusting habits and their awful attitudes, it's no wonder the flight attendants feel the way that they do!
Oh we have some doozie stories. If you are ever at a party and a flight attendant is there -- start a conversation. You'll be amazed and you will get a chuckle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Dawn View Post
fly girl, it's obvious that what you say is true. As a customer I appreciate a friendly face on what can often be a somewhat stressful day for our family (especially now that we have a toddler!) and I wanted to say Thank You!

Aww, thank you. I want to have fun while I am working. I usually fly the purser position so I can help to create an atmosphere where the crew/passengers will have a good time. Granted, it doesn't always work (can you say weather delay? lol) but I try my best. And really, it is so much easier to be nice!

As a mom myself, I definitely know that flying with a toddler is a stress all unto itself. FYI, best toys on a plane Glo Doodle, coloring/sticker book, Leap Pad (with headphones!). Glo Doodles are a really big hit when flying in the evening.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #45
Gary M
DIS Veteran

Our next door neighbor is a flight attendant with United and always tells us how much she loves her job. I couldn't work with the public and admire those who can.
Gary M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: