Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #31
hakepb
DIS Veteran

That's true, a PnS will generally only get you some nice, recognizable pictures that are OK in Facebook standards, but you'll never print a poster from those challenging indoor shots.

Personally, I'm happy that I can zoom in and get recognizable face shots in a kids play, when 5 years ago, I generally only got a zoomed out blur with my old PnS.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
henrylarry6
Earning My Ears

Why donít you look at Sony cyber shot, which have a best quality in pictures or go for Nikon if you are looking for zooming. You will get that within your budget.
henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylarry6 View Post
Why donít you look at Sony cyber shot, which have a best quality in pictures or go for Nikon if you are looking for zooming. You will get that within your budget.
You cannot talk in those terms. Thats like saying Chevy's are great race cars. A Chevy Corvette ZR-1 is an amazing racing machine, but a 4-banger Chevy Cruise Eco...not so much.
A Sony Cybershot DSC-H90 or a Nikon L510 would perform equally terribly as the SX500. Because they all have cheap, high density CCD sensors combined with slow electronics and lenses.

I am confident that a Sony HX-20 or HX200 would do a much better job, a Sony RX100 could be very nice, and the RX-1 could exceed most DSLr's. but the RX cameras have little to no zoom..

The Nikon P7700 is a very nice enthuiast compact. The P510 is a quality superzoom. And although they have bigger numbers, the s8000 series and s9000 series are not as good as the P7700.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
That's true, a PnS will generally only get you some nice, recognizable pictures that are OK in Facebook standards, but you'll never print a poster from those challenging indoor shots.

Personally, I'm happy that I can zoom in and get recognizable face shots in a kids play, when 5 years ago, I generally only got a zoomed out blur with my old PnS.
The technology is advancing. A "super zoom compact" would have been unthinkable in the film days. (I think some people still have trouble understanding that for the most part, you can get more zoom with a Point & shoot than you can with a dSLR).
As sensor technology continues to improve, as well as processors and focus systems, it is quite possible we will reach the day where larger sensors (needed larger lenses) will no longer hold an advantage. In fact, I bet we do reach that day.
We'll get to a point where further advances aren't really all that relevant. Where a tiny sensor can shoot at ISO 6400 with absolutely no noise, with sharp detail.., with lightning fast focus, and with a processor/software that perfectly mimics a shallow depth of field.

I remember when laptops were secondary computers... good to carry around, but could never match a desktop. Now, a laptop has enough computer power to cover the regular needs of most consumers. And some day, that will happen with point & shoots. (And then dSLR interchangeable lenses will start collecting dust )
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #35
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
On the Rebel not auto focusing... have you tried another lens? More than likely it's the lens and not the camera. If it does it on all your lenses then clean the contacts between the camera and the lens. The mirror is not likely to cause AF to fail on a Rebel.

When using your point and shoot for things like talent shows at school you're probably going to have to get it off auto to get the shots. You're also probably going to need to keep the lens wide.

You are so right -- I changed to my bigger lens (100-300mm) and it autofocus'.

So, what could it be with the 18-55mm? think the lens is gone?
I don't know much about those things, as you can tell

NYC to Bermuda ~ Norwegian Breakaway ~ May 2013

NYC Inaugural Disney Cruise to Bahamas ~ May 2012 ~ Disney Magic

NYC to Bermuda ~ May 2011 on NCL Gem

ge0rgette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #36
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Okay - so now that my Rebel is acting semi-normal - I'm still playing around w/ the idea of returning the SX500 and try the 260.

I want a great everyday PnS to take on vacations, throw in my beach bag, etc.

This is becoming a chore finding something within budget ( which I put a $250.00 price tag on) I'd like to stay under that amount, which I could just grab something for $150.00 and get decent shots.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #37
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge0rgette2 View Post
Okay - so now that my Rebel is acting semi-normal - I'm still playing around w/ the idea of returning the SX500 and try the 260.

I want a great everyday PnS to take on vacations, throw in my beach bag, etc.

This is becoming a chore finding something within budget ( which I put a $250.00 price tag on) I'd like to stay under that amount, which I could just grab something for $150.00 and get decent shots.
The SX260 is within your budget and is a decent little camera. We've owned a prior model.
Thing is.. "decent shots" is a subjective statement. To me, "decent shots" means.... if you are close enough to your subject, your subject stays still, and you are in good natural lighting, you can get a good picture. And under those circumstances, many smart phone cameras take "decent shots."

Start lowering the light, getting further from your subject.... the subject starts moving around... You're now in "challenging shots" territory. If you want a "decent shot" of the Peter Pan ride at Disney World... you need to invest in more than a budget p&s.

Typically -- different cameras (and different lenses) have different strengths and weaknesses. A camera that might excel at a certain type of photograph, may be less appropriate for other settings. Within dSLRs "all in one lenses" are known to be jacks of all trades, but masters of none.
So the "all in one" camera doesn't even exist..... so finding the perfect "all in one camera" on a tight budget.... It's kind of like saying, "I want a flying car... and I want it to cost under $100)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #38
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:

You are so right -- I changed to my bigger lens (100-300mm) and it autofocus'.

So, what could it be with the 18-55mm? think the lens is gone?
I don't know much about those things, as you can tell
The auto focus motor probably died. I've killed a couple of them myself on entry level lenses. I've still been able to use mine with manual focus, which suits my shooting style just fine. But if you want auto focus (which most people do) you might check out KEH.com and pick up another copy of that lens used. Or use this as a chance to add a different lens to your collection. But it will not be cost effective to have the 18-55 repaired.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #39
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

What does everyone think of the Panasonic Lumix line of cameras ---- within a $200 or so budget.
I have the Canon SX500IS, not jumping for joy over it.

I have a 30 day guarantee at Best Buy - so was thinking of returning it and either getting the Canon sx260 or the Panasonic Lumix (unsure which)

Thanks!!
I'm heading out today - so hopefully someone will read this heheeh

Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What does everyone think of the Panasonic Lumix line of cameras ---- within a $200 or so budget.
I have the Canon SX500IS, not jumping for joy over it.

I have a 30 day guarantee at Best Buy - so was thinking of returning it and either getting the Canon sx260 or the Panasonic Lumix (unsure which)

Thanks!!
I'm heading out today - so hopefully someone will read this heheeh
Brand doesn't mean much. There are some very good Panasonic Lumix models.... And canon power shot, and Sony cyber shot, and there are lower end poor models.
Under $200, point & shoot, you're making compromises.
But I know the Canon Powershot sx260 and Sony Hx20/30 are pretty decent. (Not sure which Lumix is comparable)
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
hakepb
DIS Veteran

The Panasonic ZS20 is the lone compact travel zoom that DPreview included in their 5 best compact cameras (with the RX 100, G15, ZX2..)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...20-tz30-review

I've seen deals with that ZS20 or the ZS15 below $200.

Panasonic's model numbers are a bit confusing, the TZ30 is the same thing, but one model is European specific I think.

The Panasonic TZ 15 has a bit less zoom, and no touch screen, but IQ wise its an even better bang for the buck.

But like every other make, Panasonic also has slow, CCD based budget cameras.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #42
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Nixon Coolpix L810

Have the opportunity to buy this camera for about $125.00/maybe $100.00 brand new.

Thoughts?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
hakepb
DIS Veteran

The L810 appears to be a SX500 competitor...fairly even I would think.
The Coolpix P series are very nice, like the P510.

Thay L810 is a lot of zoom for the money. For that price it would be an interesting occasional companion to an enthuiast compact (that normally only have 5x zoom, but are much much better in low light.

Try it out in the store, to see how you think it responds.

You might do better in that sub $200 price range by looking at Fuji cameras, though. Photo Chic has mentioned trying out a relatives and thought it was decent.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #44
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nixon Coolpix L810

Have the opportunity to buy this camera for about $125.00/maybe $100.00 brand new.

Thoughts?
No better than the camera you already have.
In all honesty, you get what you pay for... And what you put into the craft.

A great photographer can get good pictures with a lousy camera.
A horrible photographer will take lousy pictures with a $3,000 camera.

But in the same hands... Gear does make a difference. Sub-$150ish camera can produce some nice pictures, but the quality of the cameras will be quite limited.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #45
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

exchanged the sx500 and purchased the canon 260.
I'm going to read up on it tonight and play around.

I got a package bundle deal - extra battery 8g card and case for only $1.05 more than I paid for the sx500.
Wish me luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: