Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Magic after drydock question

I read a comment made by a poster that has me a bit concerned. We are scheduled on the Oct. 20th cruise after the drydock. Is there a possibility that Disney may not have the repairs done in time and cancel the cruise? If so, how late could that happen?

We are taking the Disney insurance. But I am guessing that doesn't cover hotel stays or if we chose to have transportation supplied. I'd hate to book something ahead of time and then have Disney cancel everything.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

They are pretty good in setting up repair time estimites and schedules these days, but unfortunitely, there could be any number of reasons that the vessel maybe late out of the yard. The biggest ones are unknown damage or repairs reqiured, parts avialablity, even labour strikes, yard delays in general.

Now all that said, it is highly UNLIKELY, not to mention any cruise could be delayed, IE weather and mechanical breakdowns.

If it really is a big concern, consider a travel insurance that will cover all possible costs.

Hope you have a great cruise!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

I do not think there is a risk of the cruise being cancled. However, you may find that they continue to put the finishing touches on the work that was being done during drydock while on your cruise. We have seen new carpet being laid in the hall ways for example. This should not effect you and your enjoyment on the cruise. In fact in the 10 curises I have taken there has alway been upkeep done on board. It will just be a bit more right after drydock.

But then you get to see all the changes frist which can be very exciting.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Thanks all! I won't be bothered if they are still doing finishing touches. As long as I get on that ship, I'll be happy. :D

Does anyone know if you can extend toe DCL insurance to cover extra things like hotels and transportation? Or would I need to look into other insurance.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
truck1
Growing older but not up.

In the very unlikely event that DCL has to cancel the cruise, DCL will make some type of offer to its cruisers on the affected cruise/s.Usually they will offer something like a refund or moving your travel date to the future either on the next available cruise or somewhere else. They arent going to take your money and then say trips canceled sorry about your luck. Thats assuming the entire trip is canceled. If it is delayed theyll do something though I honestly cant say what. All depends on any number of factors. Your best bet is to book everything through DCL if you are concerened about the trip being canceled.(Keep in ind that any DCL trip can be canceled or changed for just about any reason) It might be a ittle more expensive, but in the unlikely event that something does happen, theyll take care of it including your airline fees. If you book the airline on your own, youll have to eat that.

DCLs trip insurance typically covers your cruise issues, like medical and luggage. Id look into other types of trip insurance as there a lot of other travel insurance brokers out there that offer better rates and coverage then what DCLs default carrier offers.

A website like ***************** will do side by side cost/coverage comparisons of a bunch of different carriers and plans to help make a decision.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

They won't cancel it but this is the reason they aren't booking the WBTA. People keep saying they wish they would, but DCL is trying to avoid having the finishing touches affect guest's enjoyment of the cruise. They know that photos end up on the DIS ASAP with internet connections now. They don't want bad publicity that way.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
If it really is a big concern, consider a travel insurance that will cover all possible costs.
... or don't book pre-paid hotel reservations that aren't cancelable. Most regular (i.e. postpaid) hotel reservations can be cancelled rather close to check-in time, like within a day or two, without penalty. I guess you could consider the higher rate to be a form of cancellation insurance, but that way, there's no claim forms or worrying if the reason for cancellation is covered.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
axfather
Mouseketeer

Cruise Right After Wonder Drydock

Here is the good and bad of cruising after drydock.

good
ship is super clean and crew is excited

bad
workers and work may continue on ship while you cruise.
no port upgrades...vacant cabins are used by contractors to finish their work

none of the above was a big deal either way...

I expect the Magic drydock to a much bigger deal than normal.
axfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
urbkols
Mouseketeer

We went on the Wonder after it's dry dock a couple years ago. Ship was nice and clean but they were still doing some work but nothing out of the ordinary.

The best thing was we got upgraded from an inside cabin to a cabin with a verandah for free and so did a number of families.

urbkols is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: