Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

I have always wondered the same thing about my DD, granted she is not even 1 yet but I know we will have the same issue. She will turn 1 in a month and has always been at the 99% for height. She is currently 33 inches. I guess when I get to that point you just ignore the looks, because I wont pay for my DD if she is under 3.

Mine was an earlier talker as well and she already has a good vocab. She really acts more of two than one.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
tsme
DIS Veteran

My DD is 10. She's always been on the tall side and I'm short (5ft). So when she's with me, people always assume she's older than she is. When she was 2 1/2 we went to Disney & didn't have any problems. Now that she's older, we have gotten a few stares when we want a child's menu for her. This past trip when I explained she was only 10, I did get looks of disbelief, but no one said anything. Truth be told, even if she was older, she would still want to order off the children's menu. She rarely likes anything on the adult's menu & doesn't eat alot. So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Even if a CM thinks he's older, they won't argue with about it.
Have a magical trip!
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
staticgirl50
Mouseketeer

Easy to say ignore the looks and comments. Some are sensitive and do not like others thinking they are doing wrong. Especially when they are not. Is it to much to ask that CM keep snide comments and looks to themselves? I brought the original one year, of course my daughter looked, acted and talked her age so no one needed it. As a newbie I did not want any surprise expenses in case and planned for any questions. You just never know and I felt better having it.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I for sure would bring it! I've been humiliated at the gate with my then 2 year old who was 40 inches. She was also an early talker (5 months old) so by the time she was almost three (this happened in March and she didnt turn three until July) she had an amazing vocabulary and very clear words. The old man CM let us in but rolled his wyes at me and said "that's what they ALL say!" after I told him she was under three. I wished I'd had her birth certificate with me. Then we were charged for her at all buffets. Unfortunately I didn't know until we arrived home (DH always pays - I never usually even look at the bill) when I called GR I was told that if the child takes a plate the charge is correct. They are only free if they eat off your plate.

That was probably our worst CM interaction trip ever. When we went back that April - we decided to up her age to three And but her a ticket and dining plan.
Hmm -- the "off the plate" distinction is so weird. When DD was 13 months, (last time we were at WDW), I put one of those disposable placemats down and put her food directly on it. I guess I'll do that this time, on her 2nd birthday trip, just as a precaution, even though I normally trust her with a plate at this point.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

We have never had a problem letting our kids eat off their own plates at the buffet. It's not like you're going to fill an entire plate for a two-year-old. If my kids are big enough to feed themselves, I am going to give the food TO them to eat...not sit there and spoon feed them off my plate.

Last year our little guy was 2.5 and we were charged once for him being 3. We noticed before we paid and alerted the server that he was only 2.5 and it was immediately fixed - not an issue.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
julieanddanny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegansmommy
We have never had a problem letting our kids eat off their own plates at the buffet. It's not like you're going to fill an entire plate for a two-year-old. If my kids are big enough to feed themselves, I am going to give the food TO them to eat...not sit there and spoon feed them off my plate.

Last year our little guy was 2.5 and we were charged once for him being 3. We noticed before we paid and alerted the server that he was only 2.5 and it was immediately fixed - not an issue.
Same here. If fact, the hostess always asked for kids ages first so the server knew already. Also at 1900 park fare the waiter specifically said without prompt that there was no need to be awkward about feeding her and she should have her own plate. Under three is free.

She'll be 2 months shy of three this trip. Great vocabulary and potty trained. I'm not concerned.

Side note: one trip we had a a large almost three yo and a average four and half yo and had a cm surprised we were using a ticket for her and did a double take. I thought it was funny.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
kaligal
DIS Veteran

You don't need it. People will say they bring it "just in case." Just in case of what, I'm not sure, since you do not need it, lol.

Two year olds are not required to have ID proving their age.

My son was very, very big for his age. He is now 6'3" . I know how some people assume that you are lying and the kid must be at least three because he's bigger than many four year olds. But you know he's two and that's all that matters. Don't worry about stupid, crabby people. Leave them to their crabbiness and stupidity.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Sorry, that might be the least effective "proof" ever.
whatever...at least it will not get left behind the room, ripped or left on the kitchen table at home.......
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

My grandson was a month shy of his 3ed birthday and he was over 40 inches. We were never asked how old he was. Glad to know there are many kids that are as tall as him (he's in the 99%) too. And everyone has always asked if he was 4???? Hopefully he slows down for a little bit!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
disneyshan
Mouseketeer

My son is 2.5 and is already over 40 inches! I'm sure I'd get looks at the gate We are going three weeks after his third birthday so it's not an issue anyways, since we'll be paying for his tickets!

February 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort (first Disney Vacation at 27!); December 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 months pregnant with DS); January 2011 - POP (Mom and Me trip) ; May 2011 - AsSP (DS's first steps on his first Disney Vacation at 13 months); January 2012 - POFQ (5 months pregnant with DS#2) Cancelled due to Illness Booo!; April 2013 - First Trip with two children! Offsite (Hilton Grand Vacations Seaworld); April 2014 - Split stay. AKL and Offsite (HGVS);
disneyshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #26
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegansmommy View Post

~Same here. My DS was always given his own plate at 2 years old. This is the first time I've ever heard about "off the plate." We always use the dining plan, so I don't know if that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyshan View Post
My son is 2.5 and is already over 40 inches! I'm sure I'd get looks at the gate We are going three weeks after his third birthday so it's not an issue anyways, since we'll be paying for his tickets!
~Make sure to get a birthday button for your DS and have it noted on your reservation and ADR's. Have fun!

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 01-01-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ~tmi, lol.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

A birth certificate does nothing without a picture ID to prove it is who you say it is. Don't waste your time copying it or bringing it with you.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

My two older kids came to us by international adoption, so I always carry their birth certificates, certificate of citizenship, and US readoption/name change docs with me. I never had anyone question us when we took them at 2.5yo. However, our character meal at Tusker House took forever because they charged us for the kids and it took DH 30min to get it corrected. We told them the kids were 2.5yo and I had mats for the kids to eat off of--in fact, we only got 1 plate each for DH and I that was shared with the kids. We had a horrible experience there with the bill, wait staff, photographer, host outside restaurant--it was a very unDisney experience.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct15 - Extended family trip?

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Oct14 - Sleeping Bear Dunes/Leelanau County MI, Jun15 - Black Hills/Badlands SD & Yellowstone/Grand Teton WY
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
robinb
DIS Veteran

The 'eat off your plate' thing applies to regular meals, not buffets. It just means you can't order a kids meal for free fir your under 3 year old. I never had an issue with my DD eating off her own plate at buffets.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Anyone ever notice how every kid on the Dis is extremely tall and talks extremely well?
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: