Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Britta2
Earning My Ears

Rides and Attractions for a 5 year old girl

Attending parks 1/21 - 1/25 in this order DTD & MK, MK, HS, EP, AK. Is this a good itinerary for 5 yr old girl? Also need assistance with sequence of rides for MK. I actually need the appropriate rides & attraction sequence for all parks to maximize time.
Britta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
mominwife
Earning My Ears

Wow we will be there those exact dates with my just turned 6 daughter have fun
mominwife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Check out this post from easywdw for suggested touring plans for each of the parks:

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...ideal-morning/

I would also suggest checking out the January crowd calendar for recommendations on which park to visit each day.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
ktlm
DIS Veteran

I have a 6 year old DD who has been to WDW every year since she was 2. I wouldn't bother with DTD with that length of a trip. I would spend 2 full days at MK instead, especially if she is one that is going to love to meet the characters like my DD. Meeting the characters can take a lot of time. We usually do 2 full days MK, 2 full days Epcot, 1 day DHS and 1 day AK. I agree with the above poster who said to plan your park days by easywdw. It may be too late for you to do that with your dining reservations already booked (at least I hope they are- if they aren't you need to do that), but if you can his park recommendations are totally accurate in my opinion.

As far as maximizing time, one of the main things is to try to do areas of the park at a time, instead of criss-crossing back and forth all day. Sometimes you will have to criss-cross with fast pass times, etc., but keep it at a minimum. Also, know which are the most popular rides in each park and try to hit those first, or grab a fast pass. MK, you might want to run back to Enchanted Tales with Belle first, as it seems to back up the fastest currently. I would either send a runner with your tickets to get fast passes to Peter Pan on the way over there, or I would probably go over to Peter Pan after that, even though it isn't the closest. I'd then back to Ariel's Grotto and the Ariel ride. When we were there, the week after Thanksgiving everyone was running to the new Fantasyland at rope drop, so we went over to Peter Pan first and walked on. We then went to the new Fantasyland and Enchanted Tales was already 30 minutes. We walked onto the Ariel ride and had 2 groups in front of us to meet Ariel, but by the time we got done with that the line for Enchanted Tales was already up to 45 minutes.

At age 5, a child will be able to ride most everything in the parks. She probably won't be tall enough for Rock n Roller Coaster at DHS, and a couple of other things, but most of the big rides have a 40 inch height requirement. DD was riding the big rides at age 3. The question is whether she likes the thrill rides or not. My DD isn't crazy about them. She loves Soarin (I always take everyone's tickets and run and get fast passes when we enter Epcot while DH takes DD over to meet Daisy), but isn't crazy about Test Track. We always kind of explain the rides to her and let her decide whether to ride them. If she wants to,we let her try. We've bribed her onto a couple of things- like Splash Mountain, and Pirates (which she loves, but for some reason is always scared to ride the first time on a trip), but she has no interest in, and don't even push for Tower of Terror because we know she will hate it. She tried Dinosaur last month, and hated it. She also hates tough to be a bug at AK. You do want to be sure to get to DHS close to opening, and send someone for fast passes for Toy Story Mania. If you are early enough, ride it and get fast passes for later. That ride almost always has a line which is an hour or more. We usually get into DHS about 10-15 minutes after rope drop, so by the time we get back there the line is huge already. We fast pass it, and we still are waiting a couple of hours for our time to kick in. It is not unusual for the fast passes for the entire day to be gone by 11:00 a.m. for that ride.

Have a fun trip!!!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I agree with what most of the PPs have said. Go to easywdw for best park recommendations and his park touring advice. If you are a subscriber to touringplans.com or have the Unofficial Guide to WDW, you can use their park touring plans as well/ instead.

As to which rides will be appropriate for your child- you will have to determine that for yourself. Is she tall enough to ride the rides with height restrictions? If so- will she want to? How fearless is she? I've seen 3 year olds who laugh at rides I'm too chicken to ride. I've seen others who freak out on Winnie the Pooh. It all depends on the child's temperament.

And Welcome to the Disboards!!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

We'll be there the following week with our just turned five-year-old girl! I would say that if you pick the proper parks based on crowd recommendations, you don't need to worry about a ride-by-ride touring plan ... particularly if you arrive at or close to park opening. It's a relatively low-crowd time, so if you utilize Fastpass, I think you'll be fine. ((Edited to add: We haven't been to the New Fantasyland yet, so can't comment there. I am planning to head to The Belle Storytelling experience first and then to the Ariel Ride first thing after rope-drop, but I'm still formulating a plan for that.))

We were at WDW twice last year and these are the rides she rides. You will find that an average build five-year-old can ride almost everything at WDW. Rock-n-Roller Coaster will be out for us for a while. She's getting close on EE and Space Mountain, but I think they are all a couple trips away still.

MK:
Everything except Space Mountain and Stitch. Her fave's, in order are:
Big Thunder Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Splash Mountain (closed Jan, I believe...)
Barnstormer
Everything in Fantasyland: Peter Pan, Small World etc ... She doesn't love Dumbo or Winnie the Pooh, for some reason, but we try and hit them at least once on every trip.
None of us love the Laugh Factory, but we try and hit it at least once.

Epcot, in order of preference:
Soarin
Spaceship Earth
DD ride in Mexico
Figment
Norway Boat Ride
Will planning to add TT as it was closed our previous visit.

AK, again in order of preference:
Dinosaur
Safari
Kali River Rapids (Closed, I think, in January)
That dumbo-like ride near Dinosaur that I forget the name of
Tough to be a Bug
She's not a fan of Nemo or The Lion King, but she'll sit through them
She's MIGHT be tall enough for EE this trip ... if so, she'll try it.

HS, in order of preference:
Star Tours
TSM
The Great Movie Ride
Backlot
The Little Mermaid movie
Playhouse Disney (Close in January, I think)
Tower of Terror (she has a love/hate relationship with this ride. We ride everything as a family, so she's done it several times. Sometimes she's scared in the pre-ride and then loves the ride. Other times she runs on. She's been talking about it non-stop the last couple weeks. Regardless, we always ride as a family, because that's our rule, and she LOVES it, but I'm not sure she'd ask for it, if it was completely up to her.)

Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Lynn57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britta2 View Post
Attending parks 1/21 - 1/25 in this order DTD & MK, MK, HS, EP, AK. Is this a good itinerary for 5 yr old girl? Also need assistance with sequence of rides for MK. I actually need the appropriate rides & attraction sequence for all parks to maximize time.
I would get Birnbaum's guide to WDW for Kids for your daughter and see what she is interested in. I was petrified to go on Haunted Mansion at 10, but my 5 year old sister absolutely loved it... My personal touring strategy is not to plan out every ride. Once you arrive you will see times for some of the shows, so plan around those that you want to do. I do plan out my first one or two rides to be those that I know will have bigger lines later in the day. I wrote those down for you below. See where the magic takes you and don't forget to take breaks when needed. No one has fun if you are looking at an itinerary the entire time!

1/21- Easy WDW and Touring Plans do not agree on whether MK is a good park that day. IMO I would choose some easier rides to keep things positive for your daughter. Most of these won't have crazy long waits anyways... Here are some ideas, but not necessarily in the sequence you to follow:
- Winnie the Pooh
- Dumbo
- Small World
- Mickey's Philharmagic
- Prince Charming Carrousel
- Peter Pan (may be a longer wait)
- Jungle Cruise
- Railroad
- Tomorrowland Speedway

1/22- Both websites say MK is a good choice for today. Do whatever rides your daughter showed interest in doing. IF she is interested in any of the following, do them early in the day OR use a fastpass if there is one available.
- Splash Mountain
- Space Mountain
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Peter Pan
- Enchanted Tales with Belle
- Under the Sea (Little Mermaid ride)

1/23- The crowd levels are supposed to be very low today, so HS should be fine. IF your daughter wants to ride Toy Story Midway Mania, then you absolutely should get there at rope drop and do it first thing.

1/24- EasyWDW and touring plans disagree about Epcot today. Again, crowds should be low, so if it was me I don't think I would change the plan. Soarin' and Test Track have long waits, so do those first or pick of FPs for those if your family wants to ride them.

1/25- Animal Kingdom should be fine for today. The animals are most active on the safari early or right before the safari closes, so plan to ride it then.

Hopefully this helps and welcome to the Dis!!
Feb. 2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House
April 2007- Beach Club Villas
Feb. 2011- Bay Lake Towers
Dec. 2011- Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Sept. 2012- Boardwalk Villas (Tower of Terror 10 Mile!)
April 2013- Old Key West
April 2014- Old Key West
Lynn57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: