Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

CM I talked to just stressed me out about POLY stay in March with refurbs!

So I just got off the phone with a CM as I called about changing my request from Samoa to Toleaku (which she talked me out of). She said she isn't showing any refurbishments to any longhouses in the near future. She did say however that the pool is closed from February 18-March 1 and will reopen March 2. We arrive on the 4 and I am worried it will still not be open then, am considering switching resorts but would need to do it soon as the discounts end tomorrow....what would everyone do???

She also said to leave request as Samoa and if we get there and there is construction going on then we could change it at check in...should I call back and just switch it to balcony, close to GCH and pool and leave out the longhouse altogether? I am really nervous now.
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, Disney will always have a pool available to all of its guests. If there isn't more than one on any given resort property, they make arrangements for guests to be able to use a different one. Unless your heart is set on the POLY pool, I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

#1 - I stayed in Tokelau and really enjoyed the location and it is between the two pools.
#2 - won't the quiet pool be open?
#3 - it may be too cold to swim. I was at Disney the first week of March last year and it was too cold
#4 - the main pool when I was at the Poly kept closing for some reason and the quiet pool was being refurbed so there was no pool at all at least 2 afternoons and it was May.
#5 - the quiet pool was supposed to be done my the time we got there but did not open for some time afterward so I would not personally count on the pool being open.

If you want to stay at Poly then you should if the pool is very important to you then I would stay somewhere else but look at the seasonal temps to see if you would be swimming anyway. I hope that helps.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
am considering switching resorts but would need to do it soon as the discounts end tomorrow....what would everyone do???
You can always make changes even after a promo ends. You would have to go through guest services to check availability/make a change as regular reservation CMs usually don't have access to expired promos, but changes can be made pending availability. The CRO CM will either put you on hold and talk to GS themselves or he/she will transfer you to GS for you to talk directly to them, but either way, it can be done. Good luck deciding on what to do. The volcano pool is one of the many things we love about the Poly and it being closed would be a deal breaker for us if it was swimming weather, but there are also many other great aspects of the Poly that are worth staying there for .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
#1 - I stayed in Tokelau and really enjoyed the location and it is between the two pools.
#2 - won't the quiet pool be open?
#3 - it may be too cold to swim. I was at Disney the first week of March last year and it was too cold
#4 - the main pool when I was at the Poly kept closing for some reason and the quiet pool was being refurbed so there was no pool at all at least 2 afternoons and it was May.
#5 - the quiet pool was supposed to be done my the time we got there but did not open for some time afterward so I would not personally count on the pool being open.

If you want to stay at Poly then you should if the pool is very important to you then I would stay somewhere else but look at the seasonal temps to see if you would be swimming anyway. I hope that helps.
Thanks...she said all the pools will be closed
We are Canadians and will swim in weather no one else would think of! LOL...we always get asked if we are from Canada because we are always in the pool when no one else is!

I am considering switching....if CR had rooms I would switch in a heartbeat!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are Canadians and will swim in weather no one else would think of! LOL...we always get asked if we are from Canada because we are always in the pool when no one else is!

ALL the pools or just the volcano pool? It would take something extraordinary for Disney to close all the pools at a single resort at the same time.

Also note that reservation CMs are notoriously bad at giving correct information.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Last edited by Missyrose; 12-30-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I highly doubt that. Call back and get a different Cast Member. There is no way in heck Disney would have a resort with absolutely no pool available at all.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I highly doubt that. Call back and get a different Cast Member. There is no way in heck Disney would have a resort with absolutely no pool available at all.
Yes call back. There is no announced refurb for the main pool at this time other than adding a hot tub though that keeps get put off. The quiet pool was recently refurbed so not likely. I can find nothing about a pool refurb at this time.

The room refreshes are just that, refreshes. They are changing the wall treatments, flooring, improving bathrooms. Those have been announced and start next month. The buildings will be closed basically one at a time with little impact on the guests. You can find the specific dates by looking on each longhouse page on Tikiman's site.

I'm wondering if the CM is confusing years. In 2012, this year there was work on the pools around the Feb-March time frame and no room refreshes. It's the opposite in 2013. Make sure the CM is looking at the info for the correct year.

Last edited by Polydweller; 12-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Polydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
PoppyGirl
The kiddies come for the autographs but the mummies come for the captain!

The Disney Travel agent website shows only the Volcano pool will be closed 2/18 - 3/1. Hope that helps you.
(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013 (Wilderness Lodge) Marvin & Abigail Mother Daughter January 2014

PoppyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. there is a link going around that does show the pool under renovations endings march 1st. Does anyone know how good they are at keeping to their dates? It would be deal breaker for us if pool was closed. Poly isn't cheap so pool down would not be worth it for us.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

Just posted this on the Poly thread but thought you'd be interested too:

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/new...oom-renovation

Tikiman knows more than most CMs you talk to
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
princessap
DIS Veteran

thanks. I am just worried they will extend reno and then we wont have pool access
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Poly also has a very nice "quiet" pool. You'll still be able to swim.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
auprincess
DIS Veteran

I do understand your concern about the Volcano pool ~ we were there last year and arrived shortly after the Volcano slide had been closed for re-furb. Even with the quiet pool open and being able to use the pool with a slide at GF (which I heard was an option while the Volcano slide was closed), I would not have been happy if we had gotten there and the slide was still closed. It was a big deal to my oldest and one of the top few reasons why we chose Poly. Hopefully it will be done by the 3/1, or even early!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, I'd switch to a different resort if the pool is important to you. The Poly quiet pool like other resort quiet pools is nothing special.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: